Astrocartography

September 27, 2020 at 11:13 (UT/GMT)
(Aries) ram_goat
Astrocartography
A few months ago I noticed petr added astrocartography to the site. I knew nothing about astrocartography but it intrigued me, so I bought this book, written by the guy that supposedly invented it. I am no expert on the subject, I merely pass on some information in the book to help others understand the features on the site..

Some Vocabulary:

Paran Lines: The crossing of one planet´s MC or IC line with another planet´s rising (ASC) or setting line (DSC). The latitude at which this happens is considered to be influenced by both planets. This is the same as a "paranatellonta" or "paran".

A quote from the book:

"They are somewhat like squares in their action, and have been found to be about one-third the strength of the (ASC or DSC) lines themselves. Though most ACG interpretation emphasizes the lines more than the crossings, the latter are particularly important in those areas where one is not within "orb" of regular lines. An orb of about 4 to 7 degrees on either side (east or west) of an MC/IC or rise-set line, and about 1 to 2 degrees on either side (north or south) of a crossing are suggested based on experience, as well as feedback from AstroCartoGraphy users.

Finally, just as we can "stack up" chart upon chart upon chart, so it is possible to consider questions of astrological geography from a variety of possible viewpoints, such as transits and progressions. Even within a horoscope, this can quickly become unwieldy, requiring a good knowledge of astrology and great care to interpret properly, When using a map, all the more care must be used, For this reason, the best method of going beyond the natal map to look at current indications is to combine progressions of the inner planets with transits of the outer planets, since the two sets of planets will move along at roughly the same speed."

As much as I´de like to simply copy the entire book and paste it in here, there are some obvious problems with that. Instead of a mass cut & paste, I´ll try to paraphrase ideas from the book sufficiently to keep any lawyers from knocking on petr´s door.

The significance of some location falling to the east of a line vs west of a line:

Ascendant Lines:

West of line: The effects of that line will reflect the 1st house more
Since the first house is the house of self, you will relate very personally with the energies west of the line, they will affect your personality more.

East of line: The effects of that line will reflect the 12th house more The effect of the planet will act upon you more psychologically, in ways that are less visible to you but may be visible to others around you.

Descendant Lines:

West of the line: The effects of the line will be influenced by the 7th house. You will project the energy of the planet externally, and it will manifest itself in the people around relationships around you. These people will be your teachers, and you will not be able to see the lessons or qualities they possess in yourself, but only through others.

East of the line: The effects of the line will be influenced by your 6th house. The energy of the planet will show itself in the form of external problems or challenges in your environment, which you must learn from.

Imum Coeli Lines:

West of the line: The effects of the line will be influenced by the 4th house. The planet´s influence will manifest externally, but in a manner that challenges your identity or ancestral, family, or internal values.

East of the line: The effects of the line will be influenced by the 3rd house. The influence of the planet will sensitize you to your environment and force you to behave externally in a way that conforms with the place, as influenced by the energy of the planet in question.

Midheaven Lines:

West of the line: The effects of the line will be influenced by the 10th house. The influence will be outer oriented, as MC rules your social standing and reptuation, as well as career in society. Situations that cause growth and development in a very public and visible manner will occur.

East of the line: The effects of the line will be influenced by the 9th house. The influence of the planet will reflect the beliefs and values of the society in which the location lies. Things will be experienced on an internal private level, but will involve larger issues belonging to the culture or society of the place.

Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)

Posts in topic

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sort posts:
November 6, 2020 at 05:01
(Aquarius) Fool » RohiniMoon
Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by ´Grado´?
My charts clips are from astro.com where your chart WILL look magnificent with brass knobs on. Also, if you click on a line it gives you a definition. :117:
November 6, 2020 at 05:22
(Virgo) RohiniMoon » Fool
Ahhh..thank you !!

I meant Grado, Italy :4:
November 6, 2020 at 17:57
(Aquarius) Fool » Wolfmoon
Moon on the DSC (Jim Lewis)

You are much talked about here, and others get themselves involved in your affairs, especially in legal or marital situations. You crave relationship, and may lean on a marriage partner for emotional support, and thus attract complex involvements and situations that deeply affect your feelings. Any one-to-one relationship tends to feel out of control. You may be married here, entirely on someone else´s initiative. You need to be needed and may attract parasites in relationships, as you easily compromise, and project your needs onto others. You may find successful work in a "helping profession" or one dealing with the public, as you get your own needs mixed up with others´, guaranteeing an interesting, if not stable, time in any form of personal or legal relationship. Eventually, you learn to seek advantages for yourself, and west of line is probably preferable.

Exterior realities (JL)

The Descendant : Here, the force of the planet expresses itself by attracting circumstances, people and situations like its own nature. By subconscious projection of need you attract situations like the planet in this place on earth, that challenges you to respond. Thus difficult planets can be most dangerous here, as they tend to draw problems and challenges to you.

Shh, quiet! Can you hear a wolf howling?
November 6, 2020 at 21:15
(Aries) Wolfmoon » Fool
I´m actually heading to the location in about 5 weeks. Should be interesting to see if anything changes :4:

There was another point further north where my Sun IC crosses my Moon DC.

Looks like next year im buying a camper and going cruising :15:
November 6, 2020 at 22:02
(Aquarius) Fool » Wolfmoon
Now´s the time to select for yourself an astrocartography notebook and pen (better get one of those upside down space pens - never know what mood the Moon will be in) Cool, keep us informed - checked out transits for the time? :4:

EDIT: Don´t get married straight away!
November 7, 2020 at 06:46
(Aries) ram_goat » Wolfmoon
I´m actually heading to the location in about 5 weeks. Should be interesting to see if anything changes

Yes it will.. keep up posted.
November 15, 2020 at 15:16
(Aquarius) Fool » ram_goat
(Jim Lewis)

The Sun - Under any Sun Line (SU)

These are very positive places, and under any Sun line, pride vanity and an urge to action demand that you become master of your own fate, be your own boss and make things happen. Humor, leadership and hope are accented, you speak with aloof, taken-for-granted authority and develop a life plan. Circumstances constantly demand loyalty, affection, exuberance and extraversion of you. There will be a thirst for recognition or renoun, you are subject to flattery, and are vain and more attractive, though ruthless in your quest for fame and intelligence, which come relatively easily. Men tend to become fathers here. Health is good in these zones, and success as a self-made hero, artist or producer comes. Love is given, though hardly needed. You make things happen, you manipulate the environment, and there is an inner surge toward growth, but dangers lie in overwork, narcissism, arrogance or pomposity, and it is in these zones that you most typify your birth sign.

More abstractly, the Sun zones are where masculine consciousness prevails, whether you are male or female. Logic, energy and will are strong, and the universe is seen as an object, or part of the not-self. Strongest is the drive to self-actualization, toward a self that is autonomous and outer-directed, an undivided, extraverted, integrated self that is aware above all else of the "I am". Where the Sun is angular, you identify with your creations, and your will is governed by inner determinants, rather than by social or environmental considerations, and thus, is most free of past and future, existing as a unique, self aware factor in the here and now.
November 15, 2020 at 15:58
(Aquarius) Fool » Fool
(Jim Lewis)

The Moon - Under any Moon Line (MO)

Under any Moon-angular line, you become the center of attention, and are buffeted about by desires and needs, reacting to life with the total involvement of a child watching a movie. You get involved with people and their concerns, feel exposed, sensitive, sympathetic, sentimental, and easily influenced, and your child-like spontaneity usually has you acting like one of the gang, unable to say "No". Like a child, you need love intensely, and it tends to be one-sided and impermanent. You identify with your Mother, and maternal instincts are accented under these lines. You get in touch with your feelings, are prone to tears and laughter, seek security, often through consumerism, and find little of the constancy that you crave in your life.

More abstractly this is the place where the ego in negative expression manifests. Needs are overwhelming, and you live for the gratification of appetites, as sensation is perceived more strongly in these areas. Self grows and changes through imitation and seeks identity outside; appetites guide destiny. Erotic urges are compulsive and insatiable, and there is a deep need to nurture self and others. You have a naive emotional reaction to every feeling affect, sensing yourself too close to every person or situation. The Moon is the "infinite capacity for perception", and thus the environment becomes dominant where it is angular.
November 15, 2020 at 16:58
(Aquarius) Fool » Fool
(Jim Lewis)

Mercury - Under any Mercury Line

Where Mercury, messenger of the Gods, dominates your chart, mind communication, travel, ideas verbal expression and work develop best. These are good places for the perfection of wit, a mischievous irreverence and youthful mentality. Technical achievements succeed in these zones, and lines of communication develop between self and others, perhaps through publication and involvement in community affairs. This is an area where business of any kind, but especially those involving mail order, distribution or transportation would prosper, and career may grow out of hobbies. Work, employment and educational opportunities are to be found under these lines. Information comes easily, ideas flow well, so these areas are good for writers, and acquisitive instincts are also accented.

Mercury stands for the process of initiation, recognition of your own name, and under its lines you are noticed, have your name written down, or are publicly identified. Mercury is the least erotic of the planets; it reactivates a youthful immaturity, so you seem younger here, and sexually, somewhat neutral. It copes with the environment through classifying, identifying, interpreting and attaching labels, and under its lines, you become sensitive to noise, nervous, would tend to lose weight, learn adaptability and tend to practical concerns and analysis. Mercury is not creative, but rearranges and defines less organized ideas to seem that way. Criminality, if an option, may manifest here, as ends justify means, and things are seen in an amoral, totally reasonable manner.
November 15, 2020 at 17:58
(Aquarius) Fool » Fool
(Jim Lewis)

Venus - Under any Venus Line

Venus areas of the world are among the most desirable for many people. Here is where mercy, friendship, benevolence, conviviality, marriage, romance, though not so much sex, enter the life, and people met here may become lifelong friends. Appreciation of art, sensuality and beauty intensify and fondness for pretty things, children and pets increases. Walt Disney´s world is a Venusian one and flowery, happy endings occur here, though Venus has its negative side, that of laxity, laziness and lassitude - after all, what does Mickey Mouse do for a living? The environment is pleasurable under Venus, and good things to eat and taste with all the senses dominate consciousness. Acquisitiveness is heightened, and you seem more attractive to others, and become popular in a teenage type peer group. Yet there can be shallowness, and a tendency to wait for things to happen, as Venus is somewhat passive. This is a good place to store wealth, and investment and or possessions here increase in value with time.

Psychologically, Venus stands for narcissism, the love of self, so that under Venus lines a nostalgia for the wonderful prompts you to develop yourself into the image of your desire, and love tends to be with the projected images of self, so that fetishes, religious or otherwise, come to hold fascination. Mystically, Venus is the vivifying force of life, perceived erotically, and under its influence you breathe life into yourself. Values and standards evolve, under Venus, as it stands for appreciation of eroticism, rather than its initiation. As the long term result, there is a little of the somber under Venus influence, as the vivification of externality, as children, is reminder of self´s limitations. Romeo and Juliet type romances may occur, as Venus is surrender to affect, and standards of erotic perception are set for life.
November 15, 2020 at 18:33
(Aquarius) Fool » Fool
(Jim Lewis)

Mars - Under any Mars Line

Mars´ power is intense and should be respected and used with caution. Under Mars, you tend to be boisterous, opportunistic, masterful, dominating, courageous, and overcome by passions such as jealousy and anger. Sporting and engineering ability come out under Mars, and one is boastful of one´s scars, to whose number some may be added - Mars is accident prone. Temper, violence, passion, sex, and other biological urges are here more powerful, much the opposite of Venus´ love and fondness, and even marriage is contentious under Mars. There is a reluctance to feel close to men, and impulse to compete with them, and the whole "machismo" complex manifests under Mars, even in women, who here come to terms with the masculine parts of their psyches (the animus). Healing and growth are accomplished by excision, and this can be psychological as well as medical. Here you become the athlete or builder, and domination, competition, and sex are projected into every life activity, so that virility, some cruelty and power are expressed, and action and adventure sought. Pain and danger are dealt with frequently, and with bravado, and the exercise of power is invigorating.

Psychologically, Mars is the power to advance self, and the world is seen as a hostile place where one does battle with others for selfish ends. Physical intelligence develops, through erotic stimulation and challenge, and you "become a man", no matter what your sex. The idea that all nature is renewed by fire, war or sex seems in keeping with Mars, so bridges are burned, and childhood often bid farewell. The use of force is purgatory to the psyche, under Mars, which tends to destroy what it cannot master. There is continual contest with others´ powers and your own passions, and here, you make decisions and take actions that commit you to the struggle for survival.
November 15, 2020 at 21:03
(Leo) Sunnyshadow » Fool
I´m under mars MC line. And it´s also conjunct MC in my chart. (Makes sense, since I never moved far) I can say much of this is true. At a young age I had quite an attitude, to put it loosely. Got into sports and raced motocross (basically a blood sport) for awhile. Lifted weights, etc, before I turned my focus more to work and career. :15: I do feel like I have a subconscious desire to compete, which isn´t the best for good relationships..the downfall to the placement I would imagine. Anyway, good info Fool :15:
November 15, 2020 at 21:09
(Virgo) RohiniMoon » Fool
I´ve moved twice, so far, away from where I was born and raised. That´s also seen in my natal chart, 4th lord in the 12th -we always move away from place of birth.

However, where I´m living now is actually part of my past.. I live exactly where my grandmother was born & raised ( before she moved away) , so I´m technically not living away from my ancestral grounds. Full circle.
November 15, 2020 at 21:22
(Leo) Sunnyshadow » RohiniMoon
Hey Rohini,

That´s interesting about 4th/12th. I also have that. I´ve been the gypsy of the family, but always got sucked back in. I did end up moving a whopping 40 miles away. But still not satisfied. I daydream of foreign places often
November 15, 2020 at 21:22
(Aquarius) Fool » Fool
(Jim Lewis)

Jupiter - Under any Jupiter Line

Any Jupitarian influence is usually beneficial, and under its lines, prosperity, good luck, honor and accomplishments can be expected. This is the planet of humor, quality, integrity, status, class distinction, prizes, religion and the mind, so its locations are those in which life is easy, where one climbs socially, and where leisure, non-productive activity, and bourgeois conformity are apt to manifest. Hope and faith bring things into being merely by wishing for them, and under Jupiter, you are apt to be optimistic, perhaps blindly so, "decent", and more important, or self-important, in community or business. Health improves, as do magical or healing abilities, and this is the best place for business or education.

Psychologically, Jupiter is the process of growth through external addition, and thus, under Jupiter, you grow and evolve, under the protection of imagined deities or forces favorable to self. Superstition and religion flourish under Jupiter, as one´s luck and distinction from the mass are seen as the product of forces´ or persons´ favoritism. Every need is automatically taken care of, and these are the least tension-producing and challenging places there are. Righteousness, leisure and bourgeois morals and pleasures triumph. Music is under Jupiter, and there is a zest for life where this planet dominates, and stagnation is avoided by constant education and new ideas.

The mind aspires to the lofty, trying to encompass the entire universe, and things are seen in general rather than particular contexts. Here the ultimate temptation is fulfillment of ambition, followed by the abandonment of life´s meaning and goals for complaisant middle class values and self-satisfaction, and a blind belief that outward growth is the answer to every question.
November 15, 2020 at 21:24
Also, I lived in/bought my grandmother´s childhood home for about 11 years. Kinda interesting eh? :37:
November 15, 2020 at 21:29
(Virgo) RohiniMoon » Sunnyshadow
Haha yeah, I know what you mean! 40 miles is still away, though, no matter how you slice it. ;) I never moved out of country-kinda-far... 12 hours away far, for 13 years or so and now I´m 3/4 hours away ...much closer now, but I like being from where my grandmother was born... I was extremely close with her.. :80: :15:
November 15, 2020 at 21:31
OH, wow! I love that. Were you close with her?
November 15, 2020 at 22:40
(Aquarius) Fool » RohiniMoon
Double hit with the astro-lines there; noteworthy; about your elders´ homes (4th/12th), I mean. Sunny sounds as if you lived the Martian life, right there. Three hits and others I´m sure. I think a wow! is justified. :98:
November 15, 2020 at 23:14
I was somewhat close with both of my grandmothers. Actually lived with both for a little while growing up. I guess I was pretty close with her. She bought me and my brother a 4 wheeler when we were young. And made the best pb&j´s.

I miss that house. I really felt at home there more than I do where I live now.
November 15, 2020 at 23:22
"And made the best pb&j´s"

Grandmothers are good for this :15: my Nana was a fantastic baker. Worked in a bakery before my grandfather married her... She knew what she was doing :15:

:80:
November 15, 2020 at 23:23
(Leo) Sunnyshadow » Fool
Hey Fool, what this mean?

"Healing and growth are accomplished by excision, and this can be psychological as well as medical"

Excision: the act or procedure of removing by or as if by cutting out

So for me to grow and heal I need to cut something out? Wheres my dagger. I´ll Van Goh something
November 16, 2020 at 00:04
:62:

Yes, I was blessed with two good grandmothers (and grandfathers)
November 16, 2020 at 00:07
(Aquarius) Fool » Sunnyshadow
I take it to mean purging old thought patterns that lead to unhappiness and confusion; or ones that led to addiction of some kind (thought processes leading to such discontented states are addictive, too and they have to be transcended: through ritual, medical or guidance). It could be the place you go . . just a minute what ucking line are you talking about? :61: I can´t recall but no doubt I will have to edit :4:
November 16, 2020 at 03:57
(Leo) Sunnyshadow » Fool
:15: :15:
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2021
Moon calendar
Full Moon in Cancer Cancer
Show calendar »