Astrology/Astronomy taught in high schools?

July 1, 2020 at 19:43 (UT/GMT)
(Cancer) Trevor777
Astrology/Astronomy taught in high schools?
I feel I need to re-correct this query, I think not suitable for children, but college age 16+ would be ok.

I think at such a young age, a diverse subject like astrology would be like expecting a child to learn A-levels.

Posts in topic

Page: 1 2
Sort posts:
July 1, 2020 at 20:29
(Virgo) rohini moon
Not in the western world, no.

But in the eastern asiatic countries it is taught in grade school...children learn very young about astrology and astronomy.

The beings at the top in the Western world just don´t want their people to have wisdom or knowledge on the esoteric.

You wanna learn about anything tangible in our sector of the world; you have to figure it out on your own.
July 1, 2020 at 22:43
(Cancer) Trevor777 » rohini moon
Yea, the lack of wisdom before I even touched an astrology book, has caused me alot of worry, drifting about, and in very troublesome situations which I could of avoided before even making a step, and made my life easier If I had learnt it in school.
July 1, 2020 at 22:47
(Aries) ram_goat
Oh the religious types in the USA would blow a fuse!

Of which there are no small number..
July 1, 2020 at 22:48
(Cancer) Trevor777 » ram_goat
I bet they would
July 1, 2020 at 22:56
(Aquarius) Marc Sales
As Plato said in ancient Greece: true education consists in making the student discern what is already inside him ... :44:
July 1, 2020 at 23:04
(Cancer) Trevor777 » Marc Sales
:4: I do like quotes from philosophers, inspires me
July 1, 2020 at 23:06
(Virgo) rohini moon » Trevor777
When a monk from the East told me that he learned all about astronomy as a kid, my first reaction was, nope not in this country....

Instead we had to be taught in the most boring, uninteresting and dry fashion so as to make anyone never even *want* to pick up a book of their own leisure...

I think that was their point.

Like I said, you gotta figure this stuff out on your own.
July 1, 2020 at 23:08
(Cancer) Trevor777 » Marc Sales
True Education is in knowing our true selves in other words :1:

Or the famous quote, know thy self

Which makes sense because you have to know what tools you have before can use them.
July 1, 2020 at 23:11
(Cancer) Trevor777 » rohini moon
So true,

The way interesting subjects are taught can put a student off true
July 2, 2020 at 02:21
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13
There was a point in pre-industrial Europe that the two subjects switched names.
The serious question of the moment is how thoroughly ZOOM!~Schools are going to replace attendance dependent schools!
The planet of Astrology ` :199:´ is in ´Fall´ in Taurus right now, this is a good time for Earth and negative sign people, not the difficult!
July 2, 2020 at 06:14
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user MarvinReal, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
Some basics of astronomy are taught in Physics lessons or in Geography. But for the most part, it isn´t part of the curriculum unless into mathematics-physics university. Some great astrologers actually came from background in astronomy and found their sceptical standpoint, they were taught, was lacking real ground in closer examination of real teachings of astrology. The main objection isn´t unexplainable influence of invisible powers, but the fact that western zodiac is roughly two millennia obsolete towards the sky, even though that many disagree with this objection as well. Then it´s rare to find common theme and common history.
July 2, 2020 at 07:56
(Scorpio) Angelina
In my country 90% people think, that those, who believe in astrology are totally nuts. So in my country it won´t be as learning subject at school never:)
July 3, 2020 at 07:28
(Cancer) Trevor777 » Angelina
Im nuts anyways :61: but helps adapt to a crazy life

the more normal a person is, the more likely they will go insane :117:

so lets all Keep being nuts to keep ourselves normal in the eyes of the nutty ones that was pretending to be normal to avoid being nuts in the eyes of the nuts who were actually normal:75:

if the normal ones had originally been nuts like the nutty ones then they would of not gone nuts by trying to be normal :97: and would of stayed normal by being nuts and instead of turning nuts from being normal and percieving the normal ones as being nuts
July 4, 2020 at 11:53
(Aquarius) Marc Sales » Trevor777
What was said !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch/…
YouTube
YouTube
February 8, 2022 at 00:36
(Taurus) Rosincvist
There is a Minor Planet with the symbol of a drawing compass; "Urania" (rhymes with Ukrania) that is Astronomy/Astrology; Wouldn´t be the first school to grant enrollment on the basis of asteroid inspection :70: :71:
February 9, 2022 at 04:36
(Pisces) 1janos
Hi Trevor,

I find your wishes quite quaint.

My wish is for High School students to graduate with a reasonable grasp of the English language. Learn to read and write properly and be able to focus their attention on a chosen subject. Perhaps learn to perform basic Arithmetic.

Develop critical thinking, and a modicum of social decorum.

When I went to Grammar School in the 70s, we had an Astronomy club, that I attended for some months.

Astrology was unheard of.

Regrettably, a great many people on this website and others, still embrace Magical Thinking and believe, that Astrology is based on the planets in the Solar System actually causing events in their life, and directly influence, and determine their character traits.

I know it is a bit more cumbersome to qualify our communication on the subject by using different terms, but a great many ignorant people are misled and confused by being told - for example -, that the house position of Uranus and its angular relationships with other factors in their chart causes various personal qualities and events in their life.

I can´t begin to imagine the amount of confusion created by introducing such primitive thinking to children.

The misplaced faith in the "Invisible Big Papa in the Sky" is leading to endless harm in societies everywhere in the world; when taken seriously.

Do I need to cite examples?
February 9, 2022 at 06:19
(Pisces) VRL137
That´s like asking why they don´t teach meteorology in high school. Weather is a very important part of life on Earth but it´s too complex to be taught at a high school level, and astrology cannot be standardised - there´s too many factors in one chart to start making any useful predictions. A simple prediction like career path or mental health conditions can have 20 different answers from 20 different astrologers who claim to be experts, there´s no astrological standard like there are standards for other fields of science.

Any astrological knowledge other than a standard set of rules for making predictions (like in any other science) is useless for any person without a deep interest in the occult. These standards don´t actually exist and many astrologers have been trying for many years. Had they been successful like old age mathematicians were at predicting physical events we would have been learning the difference between Kendra and Trikon houses in kindergarten by now. But that´s not the case. Why would any teenager want to memorise the nakshatras and house meanings? Astrology is not a vocation, it´s a calling, in my opinion.
February 9, 2022 at 08:03
(Cancer) Trevor777 » VRL137
I do agree that for most children its not suitable, purely because of its complicated-ness, and how much experience is required to become competant in it.

I was more referring to college age 16+

February 9, 2022 at 08:27
(Pisces) VRL137 » Trevor777
16+ are still teenagers, but if you feel this strongly why not design an astrology curriculum and ask the parents of high school kids what they think of it? The problem is that without rigorous testing you can´t claim anything in astrology is "truth" unless you can make those predictions 100%. You can measure the acceleration of a mass to calculate the force on it via F =ma, and it works 100% of the time, therefore I can teach forces in a standard way. But if I asked you to look at my transits on 16th August 2019 and tell me what situations I was dealing with, could you? That´s a falsifiable test of the extent to which astrologers can predict events using astrology. Unless some things like that can be accomplished you can´t standardise a real curriculum for all the basics of astrology.
February 9, 2022 at 08:42
(Capricorn) Joanna Suzanne » VRL137
This topic is funny.

As long as astrology is not a science it should not be taught in schools. Exactly, as you mentioned, predictions are not measurable. It´s entertaining, but not reliable.
February 9, 2022 at 08:44
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user goldenlion32, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
I would say it´s a bit young. While I understand some learn it in some parts of the world younger, I think sometimes it can be kind of a dangerous thing for young minds, because we´re older and can look back on events and life, while those younger are kind of projecting on the future in their psychology of how life should be versus allowing it to happen naturally to a certain degree.

I guess you would have to do research on the psychology in those parts of the world long-term to see how it has a cause and effect on their life.
February 9, 2022 at 09:04
(Pisces) VRL137 » Joanna Suzanne
That´s right, Joanna. We need to keep in mind that at one point in time alchemy, Aristotelian Physics, and Kepler´s "planetary harmony orbits" were also considered "occultic" but as the predictions for chemical reactions, motions of objects on Earth, and planetary movements in space became more reliable we´ve adopted chemistry, physics, and astronomy as fields of truth and rationalism. The same leap hasn´t happened for astrology yet.
February 9, 2022 at 09:27
(Capricorn) Joanna Suzanne » VRL137
Sure, science is searching for answers. It´s always open to new. That´s the point.

Religions were stopping people from discovering something new, they wanted to preserve what is known. Same does the pseudoscience and cults.

If there is any mechanism behind astrology, it will be discovered one day and it will be fascinating to learn about it.

So far predictions were not reliable, when tested with scientific method. As much as I like imaginary things it is also important to use reliable sources, otherwise we will use methods that are not working.

I care about the effects. I don´t want to put time and effort in things that are fake, if there are better ways.
February 9, 2022 at 09:30
(Cancer) Trevor777 » VRL137
Very good reply,, best comment so far.

Iv found with transits ´no´ it would not work anywhere near 100% even if knowing the situation
Only few things would be right as 1 transit say mercury trine jupiter for example could mean 1 out 100 things. It would be an estimate not a certainty.
February 9, 2022 at 09:34
(Capricorn) Joanna Suzanne » goldenlion32
I would like to see young people empowered and supported with their plans, instead of told that their destiny is already written in the stars.

New age people make a huge mess mixing contradicting ideas of free will, manifestations, karma, astrology predictions, fated events, soul missions. You are the creator of your life, but life is fated and you deal with karma, but you can ´attract´ some stuff and you have free will. I don´t see the benefits of this anymore.
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Pisces Pisces
Show calendar »