Reversed Cards in Tarot

March 25, 2020 at 13:18 (UT/GMT)
(Capricorn) Luna Alba
Reversed Cards in Tarot
My dear more experienced tarot enthusiasts, how do you interpret reversed cards?

I read all sorts of articles and the opinions vary from "a weaker energy of the upright meaning" to ...the opposite of the upright significance of that respective card.

For ex., when you ask the cards about a particular person, if the card appears in reversed, does this mean the person has the opposite attributes of the upright meaning?

Posts in topic

Page: 1 2
Sort posts:
March 25, 2020 at 16:18
(Cancer) TimeLord
I´m really interested to this.
In recent past week I have tried 5 online Tarot Cards reading.
Surprisingly in all readings most picked cards were reversed.
Strange!
March 25, 2020 at 20:07
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13
Reversed is kind of warped from right-side up!
Saturn´s Moon Phoebe is the nearly the first retrograde orbiter discovered in the Solar System.
The Saturn system is less stable than the Jovian (Jupiterian) system.
No card has an exact opposite or else it would be like working a 156 card deck!
March 25, 2020 at 23:03
(Aries) ram_goat
Weaker energy,

upright energy blocked or impeded (usually this.. but the devil is in the details and
meanings can be nuanced),

rarely: the exact opposite meaning.

Now where´s Olenna?
March 26, 2020 at 04:33
(Capricorn) Luna Alba » ram_goat
So how do you interpret, for ex, the knights reversed, when asking about a person?

There IS smth about the energy of the cards...in the majority of cases, when I ask about some man, I get a knight, so the archetype of a young man. But sometimes they come in reverse...

And whenever I ask smth about myself or how someone views me, I somehow always pick the Queen of Pentacles, the archetype of Earth dominated women.

I love the cards, but I need to get better in understanding what they actually tell me 🍀⚘🍀...also, knowing how to ask, right?
March 26, 2020 at 04:37
(Scorpio) venushouse
Hey Luna!

I love Tarot! I read the reversed cards as a thwart, some challenge to the meaning or a delay. I don´t think of them as an absolute opposite. Like 2 of cups in reverse. Love is still there but there is an obstacle. A disagreement, a breakup? a separation? But energies change often so there is always hope. Who are you thinking of my dear? :3:
March 26, 2020 at 05:35
(Capricorn) Luna Alba » venushouse
Hey Venus! 🤗

Oh, there´s no one knew. I bought my first deck less than a month ago (being a bit reluctant initially), so I´ve been practicing by asking about people from my past -I asked for mere descriptios like "how is/was that person for me". Also about myself and how others view me.

In every reading involving myself I get the Queen of Pentacles (I know it´s the archetype for older women usually, but that is what I get 😂 or seem to project on the outside).

So I started to trust the cards. The descriptions usually fit, the archetypes also - I usually got the knights for mi ex´s, the Queens or female characters for the women I inquired. I use the whole deck now, not separating the Arcanas yet :)

For one of the boys I got a Queen, though. So he´s either nurturing or he was thinking about someone else when we met :))

Also...I usually ask about what will be the highlights for me for the next week/2 weeks. Just to catch a glimpse into the near future´s vibe.

In the week before the whole corona thing, I got the Tower Card 😊

I also tried once a six-card tarot spread about "the one". It was interesting. I´ll see if it fits when I´ll meet him :)). For the card that actually described him, the 5th, I got Strength, the card of Leo.

So, to summerize, my readings are very simple and badic, just to get familiar with the cards and what they tell me.

Should anyone have any suggestions, please write to me 🍒🍒🍒
March 26, 2020 at 05:40
(Capricorn) Luna Alba » TimeLord
I don´t know what to say about online readings...I can´t say if they are as accurate as a phisical deck, but it seems to me it lacks its magic 🤓💫

Just try to purchase your own deck. 🍀
It´s interesting to make your own rituals, to check how different archetypes associate with people or attributes from your own life, to shuffle them while you´re focusing on the question/person... it´s an experience, regardless if you´re gifted for this or not ...😁
March 26, 2020 at 06:14
(Cancer) TimeLord » Luna Alba
Yes I agree phisical deck better compare to online. Cards very hard to available at my place. People not interested in Tarot.
March 26, 2020 at 07:24
(Scorpio) venushouse » Luna Alba
Oooh how exciting. I know I used to read many years ago. I practiced witchcraft in my early years so I believe in their magic. Queen of pentacles to me would signify your strong Capricornian demeanor but I think that Queen is gorgeous. Who wants to be a princess when you can be a queen! although countess is nice too :3: or an empress. WOW the tower. Yes they are the truth. This fireman/fire sign I was involved with in the past always came up as the King of Wands and the knight of wands when he was misbehaving.
I am sure you will master them in no time with your Capricornian commitment and passion. They are fun though. Let me know when that Leo shows up! :3:
March 26, 2020 at 16:21
This fireman/fire sign I was involved with in the past always came up as the King of Wands and the knight of wands when he was misbehaving.

🤣🤣🤣. I only draw knights, no kings for me in the near future. The knights sound like philanderers, non-committal, doesn´t it?

The only time a king appeared to me was when I asked about what I should focus on in the near future. I got the King of Cups. My own balance, compassion, kindness, diplomatic approach (I´m a bit blunt and straightforward, tbh).

Let me know when that Leo shows up! 

Well, I´ll definetely ask opinions about sinastry/composite 🤗😘

Although I might rather get the knight of Pentacles first, according to some corroborated readings :)))
March 26, 2020 at 16:58
Yes when you are queen you cannot waste your time with a knight! They are philanderers. Like a tarot reader I like on You Tube who refers to them as those who want to come in and get the cookies and run!

AAh the knight of pentacles, not as bad but will take his sweet time! Whose motto could be, "Do not arouse or awaken love before it so desires".-Song of Solomen 8:4

I´m holding out for that Leo! :3:
March 26, 2020 at 19:10
Yes when you are queen you cannot waste your time with a knight!

Hahaaa! Lovely analogy! Queens need kings, not knights 👑. That´s the rule in tarot...and in life 😊

I´m holding out for that Leo! 

Leo, the king of the Zodiac. My Leo Moon says it would be a great idea 🤣🍀

Now let´s see what life has in store for me 😊
March 26, 2020 at 19:22
Knights are fine if you are just looking for a little fun. No shade on the knight. You must be one before developing into a king afterall. But we serious types appreciate something more. Yes it is the rule of life. Never settle, know your worth. Put a large price tag on yourself and people will pay it, if you discount yourself people will still know your worth more and pay the discount!

Aah the King of the Jungle! Gregarious, altruistic, magnanimous, larger than life, devil may care attitude and devastatingly handsome but cuteness is allowed provided the other factors are satisfied! :3:

I love Leo! My 8th house is Leo, my Vertex and my Part of Fortune. Leo´s are fierce, magnetic, powerful.
Yes you would do well to have one! Only good things in store for your life sweet Luna!
March 27, 2020 at 18:25
(Gemini) Olenna
All the cards have specific meanings, so many meanings that i lost count, so it`s very difficult to say in such wide terms what reversed cards mean. It depends on each individual card.
Generally means delays, full on stop, a no answer, negative qualities of that card.
All cards have dual meaning, upright. So no need to reverse them. most times in a spread the negative side of a card will stand out because of the combinations that get drawn around it.
March 28, 2020 at 17:30
(Capricorn) Luna Alba » Olenna
 The voice everyone was expecting to hear! 🍀
Welcome, Olenna! 🤗

"So no need to reverse them"

What do you mean by that? I don´t get it and somehow it seems important 🤓

Do you mean you are usually aranging them and make sure you shuffle them in upright position ?

I´m very eccentric in shuffling, maybe that´s why I always get so many reversed. Or no, that´s not the reason 🤓

Or that we shouldn´t make such a big deal with reversed cards/altering their upright meaning?

Reversed could indicate the focus of the negative side of the card?

Or opposite, if we are interpreting the significance of certain individuals in our life or how they view us? 🤓

And, in a YES/NO question, if the card appear in reversed, is it a definite NO, regardless of the upright polarity of the card?

Sorry for the annoying, cascade questions, I´m trying to make sure I got it right 🍒
March 28, 2020 at 17:42
(Aries) ram_goat » Luna Alba
I don´t do reversed for yes/no..

I treat all cards as upright for that..

even using only upright interpretations, there are still "maybe" cards.

For me, to try and make sense of reversed cards for yes/no questions is
just too confusing.
March 28, 2020 at 17:46
(Aries) ram_goat » Olenna
All cards have dual meaning, upright. So no need to reverse them. most times in a spread the negative side of a card will stand out because of the combinations that get drawn around it.

I suppose this could lead you to the same result as reading reversed cards, in the end.

I still like to read them reversed AND look at the context of the surrounding cards, but
I think your technique could work just as well. It´s important to select a technique and work with it. If you switch around all the time that makes its own trouble.

Similar to the whole house vs placidus debate in here.. you have to pick one and stick to it
as your primary method, and refer to the other as secondary. You can´t have 2 primary techniques or it will just be chaos.
March 28, 2020 at 18:40
(Capricorn) Luna Alba » ram_goat
So I did my general reading for April (what this month will bring me, what will the highlights of this month be). No reversed cards this time (surprisingly!), but still, the reading gave me chills:

It was a 3 cards reading and I added another 2 cards as clarifications:

1. Strength
2. Ace of Swords
3. 7 of swords

The last card -7 of S brought me a very negative vibe so I asked for a clarificatin and I got:
4. 10 of Swords.

Even worst. I asked about where will this deception or fall come from ...

5. The Hierophant (so authority, institutions, workplace?)

I read that dominant swords in combination with other suites indicate where the problem/conflict/aggression will occur : with cups-relations, with Pentacles-work/money/health/home, wands-projects/passion/ambition.

But in comb with Major Arcana cards...there´s no indication

Seems like a troubled Month ahead...what would you make of this spread, particularly the very challenging swords cards? 🤕🤕🤕
March 28, 2020 at 19:03
(Gemini) Olenna » Luna Alba
That is a lot of questions lol.
You can shuffle without getting them reversed. I am a shuffler myself, it helps me concentrate to channel better.
You have to find the techniques that work for you. Many readers don`t use reversed, but if that`s something you`re called to do, then work with reversals. I really can`t explain anything more. My readings are very much part intuitive and part logical meaning of the cards.
Major arcanas and court cards have different meanings reversed than the other ones. The Devil reversed does not mean the same as King of swords reversed. It`s very difficult to take each card individually to explain, but maybe i will start teaching if you like and others are interested, in a topic where i can do miniature readings with detailed explanations of the cards. Like mini collective readings periodically. It may be entertaining and educational.
Heck we all have way too much free time on our hands, so why not.
March 28, 2020 at 19:10
(Gemini) Olenna » ram_goat
Generally i stick to the same technique, if and only if is still valuable.
I tend to evolve a lot with the things i practice, so i leave room for improvement and beneficial change.
I have been a whole sign house person for the 2 years i`v been reading charts publicly, but that could change in the future. Same for cards. I use various techniques because i am experimenting still. Sometimes i`m being called to do reversals, it`s weird, it just happens for that one time for that particular reading.
March 28, 2020 at 19:10
Well, reversals often appear in my readings and I feel I can´t just interpret them as upright, with no other nuances added :-?. I´m still in the process of finding my personal technique, that´s right 😊

"but maybe i will start teaching if you like and others are interested, in a topic where i can do miniature readings with detailed explanations of the cards. Like mini collective readings periodically. It may be entertaining and educational. "

That´s a super nice idea😊 Count me in as the nerdy student 🍀🤓
@ram_goat also, I have a feeling 😁

Maybe we´ll even increase the tarot community on Astroseek 🤓
March 28, 2020 at 19:20
Alright i can do that.
There`s some cards that give me trouble interpreting like the pages. Pages are useless, like they`re an afterthought put in the deck. What am i supposed to do with a page? lol it`s a bit like Aces energy, but meh, don`t know. I hate pages in readings.
March 28, 2020 at 19:53
"What am i supposed to do with a page? "

This is Internet found stuff, but it might help.

The pages always have their ears perked up, listening for oracles of the Universe. They hear messages no one else in the Royal Family can, and they deliver these messages to us.
So Messages, new ideas /opportunities, new beginnings.

Child-like temper, youth, lack of maturity as personal attributes. The youngsters (under 25,usually or the forever young adults) in the suit.

Aces are quite meh. I can´t even use my intuition on them because their image doesn´t speak to me/doesn´t move anything in me, probably due to the lack of a human-like character 🤕

The irony? I seem to have a thing for Aces, I end up with Aces quite often 😳

I hate Swords. They always look do chilling and negative...bad omens...and they keep appearing to me lately 👀
But well, we´re living in the time of covid, I hope it´s just the overall vibe of this interval
March 28, 2020 at 20:48
I know their meaning but it`s just me not liking them lol.
Yes swords are everywhere thee days. Not all swords are bad. Me being the queen of swords, i quite like it. Upright that is :4:
Different decks have artwork that`s more detailed and nuanced so more meaning can be extracted from the cards. To be honest the Raider Waite is not that great, very simplistic but does the job.
March 28, 2020 at 21:09
Did you discovered any interesting alternative decks? 💫
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2020
Moon calendar
Moon in Gemini Gemini
Show calendar »