Planets not "in sight" of each other

February 5, 2020 at 15:23 (UT/GMT)
(Pisces) fishscales
Planets not "in sight" of each other
I have read a few articles on this premise, and wanted to share it here...

The theory states that depending on house position, planets may not be able to "see" each other, and are therefore unable to interact in the natal chart.

This phenomenon of planets not "seeing" each other occurs when they are posited either 1 or 6 houses away from eachother in the natal chart.

For example, any planets posited in the first house can´t "see" planets posited in the 2nd, 6th, 8th, or 12th houses, and thus cannot interact with them.

Planets that can´t see eachother when they are 6 houses away reflect the nature of the quincunx, or inconjunct aspect by sign, regardless of whether an inconjunct aspect is formed between them by degree. In the natal chart, inconjunct planets are said to not understand eachother. There is a disconnect. Whereas in a trine planets cooperate with eachother, or in a square they "fight" eachother, in an inconjunct they don´t communicate at all. One can see how this could be problematic in a natal chart. In some ways, more so than a square or opposition. I personally believe inconjuncts are just more subtle in their effects than squares or oppositions. That being said, I don´t consider "subtle" to be "minor", and I generally disagree with the classification of the inconjunct as a minor aspect. Different conversation though.

Then there are the planets that are "right next door" to eachother in the natal chart. The next house over. Planets in this situation would reflect the nature of the semi-sextile (30°) aspect.

There seems to be a disagreement among astrologers as to the influence of the semi-sextile. Is it harmonious or frictional? Of course, the semi-sextile is based on the division of a circle by three, like the sextile and trine, and would therefore reasonably lead one to believe it is a harmonious aspect. Then again, the signs that are 30 degrees apart (Pisces/Aries, Taurus/Gemini, etc) and reflect the semi-sextile aspect, do not share any of the same elements or modalities with eachother. Interestingly, the same is true for signs that are 6 signs apart from eachother that reflect the inconjunct aspect. (ex: Aries/Virgo). My conclusion is that the semi-sextile is both harmonious and inharmonious.

What I´m having a problem doing is reconciling the premise of planets not "seeing" eachother (not communicating) and the principles of harmony or disharmony. There can´t really be any harmony or disharmony between two parties (or in this case planets) if they can´t communicate with eachother in the first place.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

There´s also the issue of the correlation between astrological aspects and musical intervals that could help us figure this out, but I´ve already written enough here for now. Hope to revisit musical aspect of this another time though. Fascinating topic.

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
February 5, 2020 at 15:27
(Scorpio) Ancient_Astrology
Usually this is used in the relationship between the ascendant and other houses.
So the 2nd house was not considered a particularly good house in traditional astrology because it does not form an aspect with the ascendant. The planets in it could be relatively dormant. Now that changes if there are other planets that form an aspect to the planets in the second house.
February 5, 2020 at 15:34
(Sagittarius) Sus
I´m a newbie here but I don´t think inconjunct is a minor or less important than other aspects. Neither semi-square or sesqui-quadrates.
Semi-sextile seem a harmonious one but I read they are friction aspects too.
I do feel inconjuncts in my chart.
Specially that moon/pluto and saturn/Mercury.

I´d love to hear opinions on this one too
February 5, 2020 at 15:45
(Pisces) fishscales » Ancient_Astrology
According to that rationale, one could extrapolate that along with the 2nd, the 6th, 8th, and 12th houses are inauspicious, a premise that does not sound far-fetched.

Additionally, in keeping with the theory I posted, any planets posited in those houses would be out of the "line of sight" of the ascendant.
February 5, 2020 at 15:47
(Pisces) fishscales » Sus
"I´m a newbie here but I don´t think inconjunct is a minor or less important than other aspects."

It is almost always classified as a minor aspect in astrological materials...although I agree with you.
February 5, 2020 at 16:04
(Scorpio) Ancient_Astrology » fishscales
<<According to that rationale, one could extrapolate that along with the 2nd, the 6th, 8th, and 12th houses are inauspicious, a premise that does not sound far-fetched.>>

This is EXACTLY why those houses are considered inauspicious in traditional astrology.
February 5, 2020 at 16:26
(Pisces) _Moon_Queen_
150 or inconjuction is something between great receptivity that comes from 120 and struggle for dimination troughout exlusion that comes from 180 so I would interprate it like hesitant or undecided...
February 5, 2020 at 17:00
6th, 8th, and 12th houses are generally considered inauspicious in Vedic astrology as well.

What interests me is the correlation between the "line of sight" of the ascendant and these houses. The ascendant can´t see, and therefore interact, with these houses as well as others.

This got me wondering if you can take it around the wheel. For instance, can matters ruled by the 7th and 9th house be viewed as inauspicious or unhelpful to 2nd house concerns? Partners can certainly drain your wallet, as can long distance travel or higher education. Then again, both of these things can just as easily have a positive effect on 2nd house matters. So looks like I´m coming up empty on that theory...
February 6, 2020 at 01:53
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13
The semi-sextile operates in a shallow and superficial way.
It can be in one sign if one planet is just past zero degree and the other at close to applying 30eth degree of the same sign.
Seesaw pattern usually means a couple of planets are in opposition; Seeing both sides of something when disagreement takes place. In my own chart if I am generous with orb then the three transformational planets aspect :156: five signs away, { harmonic 12 and harmonic five } , more conservative orb and the :156: :195: :160: doesn´t count much at all!
:156: :195: :152: is the one that is activated the most frequently from five signs away.
I won´t say anything about my natal :157: :195: :161: , because :161: is a skewed intersection in space!
February 6, 2020 at 05:53
<<This got me wondering if you can take it around the wheel. For instance, can matters ruled by the 7th and 9th house be viewed as inauspicious or unhelpful to 2nd house concerns?>>

This seems feasible. Derived houses were used as a matter of course in traditional astrology. So where did you look for information about your spouses finances? You looked at the 8th house. why? because it is the 2nd house from the 7th. Where do you look for information about your spouses father? The 10th house, because it´s the 4th house from the 7th. Where do you find information about your father´s career? The first house. Why? Because it is the 10th house from the 4th (father) going in zodiacal order.
February 11, 2020 at 13:25
(Libra) leorising
https://www.constelar.com.br/conste…

semi sextile: destabilizing event

this link is in portuguese, but it is possible to use google translator to read in english. in this text brings the idea of the insight I had when analyzing houses 2, 6 and 12 for the ascending leo

another thought: semi sextile is 30ª degrees between 2 signs or planets, if we could realize that the relationship between them are like 12th and 1st house of each other... libra is 12th house for scorpio, taurus is 12th house for gemini...
( i thought it by myself in this last sentence)
February 11, 2020 at 14:54
I hope somebody is still reading this, because I hope to explain Why planets DO or DON´T see each other based upon which sign they fall in relative to one another. This is a not so subtle attack on nonsense like semi-sextile, etc.:

1) The signs are divided up in the three basic qualities-

a) gender (masculine or feminine)
b) quardraplicity ( cardinal, fixed, mutable)
c) triplicity (fire, earth, air, water)

2) Sextile signs share the same gender (masculine or feminine)

3) Square signs share the same quadraplicity (cardinal, fixed, mutable), although their genders are different.

(4) Trine signs share the same gender and triplicity

5) Opposition share the same quadraplicity and gendeer

6) Copresent (or conjunct) signs obviously share all three qualities

Signs, 30 degrees or 150 degrees share no qualities and that is why planets located in those signs cannot see each other.

This is why these latter day aspects MAKE NO SENSE.
February 11, 2020 at 15:27
(Virgo) MarvinReal
I am quite unsure whether you refer specifically to planets in a natal chart chart, where, in my opinion, isn´t necessary to see each other. On the contrary, one fine Frenchman discovered that the planets standing alone, without disturbing by other planets, are the most dominant in one´s life.

In case that you´re referring to several types of relationship charts, seeing each other is definitely beneficial, but again, in a moderate way, you don´t want to be connected too much, you still want to maintain some freedom and independence, otherwise it will fail from excessive compatibility. Paradox of astrology.

Also, tropical?/sidereal?/heliocentric? That varies results. And don´t forget to actually live that, instead of doubts and flaws.
February 11, 2020 at 16:13
(Scorpio) Ancient_Astrology » MarvinReal
I am just referring to the aspects and how the planets influence each other.

The fine Frenchman was using statistics to prove that, for example, Mars in angular houses shows athletic or military prowess. Since there are so many possible combinations, statistics was the best way to do that. I wish there were more studies done like that.
February 12, 2020 at 04:29
"Signs, 30 degrees or 150 degrees share no qualities and that is why planets located in those signs cannot see each other."

That´s essentially what I stated here (although I forgot about gender):

"...the signs that are 30 degrees apart (Pisces/Aries, Taurus/Gemini, etc) and reflect the semi-sextile aspect, do not share any of the same elements or modalities with eachother. Interestingly, the same is true for signs that are 6 signs apart from eachother that reflect the inconjunct aspect."

"This is why these latter day aspects MAKE NO SENSE."

The idea that two planets can´t "see" one another, implies, as I understand it, that they can´t communicate with eachother. Yet, they can still effect eachother.

Say you and I were isolated from eachother, and did not know of eachother´s existence. Meanwhile, we are both communicating and trading with a nearby village (the other planets.) Our individual interactions with the village would of course effect the village, but they would also affect each of us individually, even though we are not even aware of eachother´s existence. We would be connected, we would just not know that we are connected.

I would be frustrated that you got all the village´s deer meat, you´d be frustrated that I got all of the bourbon... If we were aware of eachother, perhaps we could pool our resources and come to a mutually beneficial, cooperative arrangement. But since neither of us knows the other one exists, such an outcome is unlikely. That´s the challenging--and frustrating--element of the semi-sextile and the inconjunct for the native who possesses these aspects. The two planets can´t communicate with eachother, yet they still affect eachother in an indirect way. There is a disconnect--an inconjunct--between them... A problem for the native when the two non-comminicating planets have to work within the greater whole of the natal chart.

The semi-sextile and inconjunct seem to mirror the concept of houses not seeing eachother, so I am not quite understanding your resistance to them... Perhaps you could explain.
February 12, 2020 at 07:02
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13 » Ancient_Astrology
I have a semi-sextile from :171: to :172: and it makes sense as a mocking of evolution and a wallowing in primitivity!
Biquintiles are often 5 signs apart and like the fifth house they represent creativity.
Modal Quadruplicity & Elemental Triplicity, their existence suggests aspect types should be kept down to a minimum.
The sextile in particular is one that should be measured in minutes instead of degrees like the quintile, the septile, the octile, and the novile :44:

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2020
Moon calendar
Moon in Aries Aries
Show calendar »