Difference between Indian and Western Astrology

September 16, 2019 at 01:45 (UT/GMT)
(Libra) Lib_8
Difference between Indian and Western Astrology
Hello,

Growing up in India I did go to many jyotshis. I always felt that the advice I got was pretty generic and most of the time it seemed like things you wanted to hear or something outrageous.

I know on a basic level Indian astrology focuses on the position of the moon whereas the Western style is based on the sun. My sign by birth is Libra but according to Indian astrology I become a Capricorn. So this has confused me quite a bit.

In terms of a question I would like to ask specifically about my relationships and love. My natal
chart does show that I have a Venus square Saturn. I have had difficulty finding good people. Does it show up on my Vedic chart?

Any insight will be great!

Thank you

Posts in topic

Page: 1 2
Sort posts:
September 16, 2019 at 02:19
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology
A couple of things. First Vedic Astrology uses the sidereal horoscope. Western astrology uses the tropical zodiac. What this means is that the Vedic chart takes into consideration the procession of the equinox. I don´t want to explain what that is here, but let us just say this is the reason your sign differs in a Vedic chart from that of most Western charts.

The Tropical chart is seasonal. I will leave it at that and answer any questions you may have about that. In any case, that is the reason, your sign differs between Western and Vedic charts.

My understanding is that Vedic astrology uses Whole Sign houses. So did the early Western astrologers. In fact, I still use whole sign houses and a growing number of Western astrologers have started using the Whole Sign houses again. The Placidus system used by many modern western astrologers (and the one that is the default here on Astro-seek) is deeply flawed in my opinion.

I hope this begins to answer your question. I am willing to go into more detail, if you like.
September 16, 2019 at 14:28
(Libra) Lib_8 » ancient_astrology
Hi Ancient Astrology, I’m just confused as to what you mean by whole sign houses?
September 16, 2019 at 15:11
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » Lib_8
I will give you an example using your own chart.

So you´re Ascendant is at about 17 degrees Sag. In the Placidus House system, that is where your first house would begin. Your houses would be determined according to calculations that takes this and your MC into account.

In the whole signs system, if your ASC is in Sag, the whole sign of Sag becomes your first house. The whole sign of Capricorn becomes your 2nd house, Aquarius becomes your third house, etc. etc.
September 16, 2019 at 15:47
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user Moon_Queen, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
Last year when Tropical calculations gave good results was 313 AD :4:
September 16, 2019 at 17:22
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » Moon_Queen
Well, just a reminder that sidereal is not faithful to the constellations either. If it were faithful to constellations, a hell of a lot of people would be Virgos. So in defense of the tropical zodiac I can say that it does not try to be and is seasonally oriented.
September 16, 2019 at 17:33
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » ancient_astrology
System message: Post has been written by user Helen.Pahlavi, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
I tried to search for what you just said. https://www.lunarplanner.com/Images…

What are pros for each these options?
September 16, 2019 at 17:39
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » Helen.Pahlavi
Helen, I can´t speak to advantages or disadvantages, since I don´t know much about Vedic astrology.

There are apparently people who practice constellational zodiac astrology. They claim that there are 13 signs. I know nothing at all about that.
September 16, 2019 at 17:44
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » Helen.Pahlavi
System message: Post has been written by user Moon_Queen, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
cool, that´s it :5:
September 16, 2019 at 17:48
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
=====
As I understand, stars (and Zodiac Signs as groups of stars that resemble to some specific forms) are just mapping points to the characteristic fields of back cosmic radiations that actually influence us in this all Astro-story.

So, our correct position in this Zodiac circle has a crucial meaning for any later interpretations.
September 16, 2019 at 17:56
(Libra) Lib_8 » ancient_astrology
Ok thanks it makes more sense now.
September 16, 2019 at 18:00
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » Moon_Queen
System message: Post has been written by user Helen.Pahlavi, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
Virgo, Pisces, Sagittarius, Leo and Taurus are very large star constellations. It makes sense why many people behave like a different sign. Interpretation texts would be different?
September 16, 2019 at 18:02
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » ancient_astrology
=====
Scorpio is so small. :4:
September 16, 2019 at 20:03
=====
Interpretations are the same, typical frequency from the central field of Virgo (15th degree) influences humans on the way people figured out a long time ago (analytic, organized, clear in expressions...) and this, for example, "Virgo spot", is the spot where the human, in his personal genesis path, put himself in action.
The difference is that Tropical just simplified all those calculations 1706 years ago and, that was cool back then since they probably needed fast and frequent calculations, but they somehow forgot to mention that all Zodiac has to be recalculated from time to time.

Zodiac actually resembles more to a rainbow specter than to sliced pizza btw
September 17, 2019 at 19:43
=====
This video is very informative https://m.youtube.com/watch/… But I am still confused. We can´t allow nonsense happening in few thousand years, but the Earth is wobbling, not the universe. What do you think?
YouTube
YouTube
September 17, 2019 at 20:01
=====
I think that Tropical is OK to fallow seasons but seasons are not connected to Univers but to the Sun.

Tropical is great for agriculture but for Astrology, where EM fields from Cosmos have to be involved (Zodiac), we cannot use Tropical but Sidereal.

This is about an absolute and relative coordinate system.

In Tropical we have Earth position relative to the Sun (ignoring position in Cosmos)

In Sideral we have an absolute position of the Earth in Cosmos.
September 17, 2019 at 20:08
=====
If we follow seasons, we will have Gemini sign born in December in distant future. :22:
September 18, 2019 at 10:38
=====
Yes, yes, according to sidereal... in 15000 years
September 18, 2019 at 10:45
=====
No. Tropical will be wrong. 4:51 time in video.
September 18, 2019 at 10:55
=====
I made sidereal chart in 15000 Sun is in Gemini, where it should be..I suppose :25:
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
September 18, 2019 at 11:01
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
=====
And This 15000th year ahead will belong to an age of Virgo...

We´re still age of Pisces - so boring :24:
September 18, 2019 at 11:06
=====
That´s error. Astro.com has only 5000 BCE to 3999 CE.

What it shows for Western astrology?
September 18, 2019 at 11:09
=====
It looks like they extended years limits...
ropical shows Capricorn Sun
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
September 18, 2019 at 11:10
=====
No. Gemini in December is not normal!! :42:
September 18, 2019 at 11:18
=====
Of course is normal, It´s not normal to be stuck for eons in space where everything moves...
September 18, 2019 at 11:18
=====
If Tropical shows Capricorn in December 15000, the same like in 2019, so it will be still aligned in future with seasons on Earth.
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Virgo Virgo
Show calendar »