My Excellent Adventure to Bodø (and Svolvaer)

September 3, 2019 at 14:05 (UT/GMT)
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology
My Excellent Adventure to Bodø (and Svolvaer)
"Would you please turn that fucking shit off?", I thought to myself. It was the 12th time I´d heard Abba´s, "Dancing Queen" that day (I was keeping count) and it wasn´t even noon yet. I had a hangover and gazed mindlessly at the SAS building. The guy with whom I had struck up a conversation leaned in to inform me that it was the tallest structure in Scandinavia. "Wow", I responded, "you´re the first person to tell me that." Actually he wasn´t. Actually everybody in Oslo had told me that. Just like everybody in Oslo had reminded me that Frida, one of the members of Abba-which, by the way, I fucking hate-was Norwegian. I started to tell him that I had recently been in New York City and that the SAS building looked like a doll house in comparison to the Manhattan skyline. I stopped myself realizing that his response would be that Ibsen had been a Norwegian. I didn´t want to be the "Ugly American" but neither was I in the mood to put up with other people´s quaint nationalism. I had a guele-de-bois to remedy, so ordered a beer. It was the Summer of 1976; I was 16 years old.

I had been working as a delivery boy for the Welch Daily News since I was 12 and was blowing my savings on this trip to Europe. It had started as a linguistic sojourn in Germany but had morphed into a wild romp around the continent. Oslo disappointed. I had come here on the rumor that the women were loose. I wasn´t getting laid, and there was no dope to smoke.

Just then the Greek guy I had been traveling with rushed in. "I have an idea", he said, "We´re bored of Oslo and we´re not meeting any women here. Let´s go above the arctic circle!" It sounded exotic. We would travel to a place where it was daylight 24 hours and where you could freeze your ass off in the middle of July." The idea of cuddling up with a Viking chick named Freja who had never heard of Abba appealed to me. "When do we leave?", I asked. "Tomorrow morning."

[To Be Continued]

Posts in topic

Page: 1 2 3 4
Sort posts:
September 3, 2019 at 15:08
(Sagittarius) goldenlion32
Sounds like you skipped the Red Light District in Amesterdam. :61: :61: :61:
September 3, 2019 at 15:50
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » goldenlion32
Actually I had already gone through Amsterdam at this point, but that´s a tale for another time.
September 4, 2019 at 01:11
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user jerrynna, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
sounds like a Jack Kerouac novel
September 4, 2019 at 01:16
(Gemini) beep
wow can i buy your book..autographed pleaseee
September 4, 2019 at 01:16
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » jerrynna
Actually, you´re right jerryna. It actually becomes crazier than a Jack Kerouac novel. I will add to the story tomorrow and the next day. You´ll see.
September 4, 2019 at 01:17
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » ancient_astrology
System message: Post has been written by user jerrynna, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
ok now i´m curious
September 4, 2019 at 01:21
(Aries) ram_goat » ancient_astrology
is this one of those deals where we each write a chapter?
September 4, 2019 at 01:26
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » jerrynna
I will write more tomorrow! Welcome to Astro-seek jerrynna.
September 4, 2019 at 01:29
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » ancient_astrology
Now everybody knows my name....
September 4, 2019 at 01:31
Fiction or non fiction?
September 4, 2019 at 01:33
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » ram_goat
My post absolutely did happen. It´s non-fiction. I actually have been to Bodo, the home of our very own Capricae or Dainty, albeit she was not even a glimmer in her parents eye at that time.
September 4, 2019 at 02:24
she was not even a glimmer in her parents eye at that time.

But she may have been a swimmer in her dad´s sack..
September 4, 2019 at 02:41
(Pisces) fishscales » ram_goat
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
September 4, 2019 at 03:47
Well, I think we can be sure that she was a egg in her mother´s carton.
September 4, 2019 at 06:21
(Aries) ram_goat
kind of funny to think what was considered normal for a 12 year old back in the 70´s.. imagine one of today´s 12 year old´s pulling such a thing off.. a apaer route! whoa. totally normal in those days..

and 16 travelling europe. no parents. no fear of lawsuits. no internet, 18 or 20 currencies, different languages, nobody asking your age, assuming if you were big enough to be there you were mature enough to do something.

by todays standards.. nucking futs!
Login
(Log in)
September 4, 2019 at 06:25
(Aries) ram_goat » ram_goat
but this fox hunter bagged his daily limit on foxes this day in 1976...
Login
(Log in)
September 4, 2019 at 10:46
ASTRASTRO-SEEK ADMINSEEK Admin, (Taurus) Petr9
Bodø rox!

Haha, it reminded my lonely 8.000km hitch-hiking trip around Scandinavia 16 years ago!

Looking forward the rest of your adventure :)
September 4, 2019 at 13:30
(Pisces) fishscales » ram_goat
Yes much different than today´s world in which they will probably require adults to ride in car seats in the next 20 years
September 4, 2019 at 13:55
(Sagittarius) goldenlion32 » fishscales
Ha ha..I noticed this myself the last time I read something about it. Think maybe they should just go back to building cars like they used to that were heavy duty and you didn´t need a car seat as much as today.

But we have idiot parents who just drop their kids out the back door and the car seat saves the kids life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch/…
YouTube
YouTube
September 4, 2019 at 14:06
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » Petr9
Petr, I would love to read your hitch-hiking stories. I, too, did a lot of hitch-hiking in my youth. However, I hitch-hiked here in America and, let me tell you, that was a dangerous sport even back then. I nearly got killed a couple of times.
September 4, 2019 at 14:07
Nice foxes ram_goat!
September 4, 2019 at 15:34
how do you say "ass, cash, or grass" in Norwegian?
September 4, 2019 at 19:09
ASTRASTRO-SEEK ADMINSEEK Admin, (Taurus) Petr9 » ancient_astrology
Norway was actually my best and safest trip ever.

I came to Norway as a loner introverted misanthrope, who hated people ... and I met soooo many similar and funy guys there :97:, that I actually started to like people since that time :6:

===

Bodø - it´s 2.00 am; I´m in the middle of nowhere in the deep forest; sun is still shining and I´m thinking about going to sleep and build a tent/or walk again somewhere to the north ... and suddenly Ford Ka stops by me in the forrest and 150kg (330lb) guy with angry face asks me what the f*ck am I doing in the middle of nowhere right now :47: :85: :47:

I just told him, that I´m an introverted student on holidays who likes solitude and cold weather; I don´t know how to speak with people and I don´t like them much, so I´m rather spending time alone ... and he suddenly smiled :75: - because he was just returning from fishing and he didn´t like people much neither; ... and he took me to his home in Løding; introduced me to his wife (she was a butcher :21: :4:), and we spent entire night/morning by talking about his soldier/general history in Kosovo :11:; about our Czech songs and fairy-tales (I was surprised that he knew this particular one and wanted to translate it into English :4:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch/…
... and watching foxes on his terrace ...

After the short sleep he took me to Bodø, paid me a ferryboat to Moskenes and I continued further up to north to Nordkapp.

===

I spent entire month in Norway with people such this .... and I guess that it changed me from misanthrope to philanthrope a little bit. (a lot!)

It was the most safe and funny trip I have ever had.

And btw I also met my first love :79: here. I met a girl by the highway ... we talked a little bit ... and after some "weird" English communication we realized, that we are from the same non-english country ... and we are both from the same small Czech city! :61:
(we split after that moment ... and then we met in our city after some time ... and we stayed together for another 2 years and traveled around the rest of Europe together :P)

I imagine about America adventures and I hope that I will get there one day :16: (but I already know, that it might be dangerous anywhere :/ ... and I was very lucky in Norway)
YouTube
YouTube
September 4, 2019 at 20:17
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » Petr9
That´s a funny story Petr. So you started liking people when you were around a bunch of misanthropists. How ironic!

You are welcome to America and can even stay at my house, but I do not advise that you hitch-hike in America. It was dangerous when I did it, but nowadays it would be crazy to do it. In any case, almost nobody picks up hitch-hikers anymore.

Riding the Greyhound bus in America is adventurous and can even be a little dangerous, but that´s the way I would travel around today, if I had to go long distances and wanted to "see" America.
September 4, 2019 at 20:40
^^ yes what AA said...

too many crazy people in America, too many uninhabited places to get lost where no one will come looking for you, ever..

you can´t tell who is good, who is bad. not worth the risk.

but also, nobody would pick you up.. hitchiker culture is long dead.
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2021
Moon calendar
Moon in Gemini Gemini
Show calendar »