moon phases

September 2, 2019 at 22:40 (UT/GMT)
(Virgo) Al
moon phases
If we consider 8 phases of the moon - new moon, waxing crescent, first quarter, waxing gibbous, full moon, waning gibbous, last quarter, and waning crescent - and that each phase is 45 degrees, my question is:

How do you assign each 45 degree segment? For instance, does the new moon phase start AT the new moon and continue on 45 degrees after, or does it start 22-1/2 degrees BEFORE the exact timing of the new moon and continue on 22-1/2 AFTER?

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
September 3, 2019 at 15:30
(Aries) astro-flame
The New Moon starts at the conjunction of Sun and Moon. For the 22,5 degrees before this conjunction it is a waning crescent... at least that´s what I´m sticking with :34:
September 3, 2019 at 15:50
(Virgo) Al » astro-flame
That makes sense to me, too! I just couldn´t find that spelled out, and it also made some sense that "full moon energy" could be felt before as well as after the exact event.

I´ve been interested in paying attention to which moon phase we´re in and having that be part of the information I use to decide what I do when.
I´ve made a moon calendar showing the phases of the moon, the sign the moon is in, and a word or two about the energetic character of that phase. For instance, new moon - intentions and fresh start; waxing crescent - perseverance and endurance; first quarter - take action; etc.

The author of "A Handbook for Humanistic Astrology" has apparently written a book about this, and probably other people as well. Are you familiar with the topic and can recommend a particular handling of it? Moon phases in agriculture has been explored quite a lot, I´ve heard. Perhaps an analogy can be drawn between growing plants and psychological growth?

Thanks!
September 3, 2019 at 15:54
(Aries) astro-flame » Al
I´m studying with the Faculty of Astrology now and they recommend Dane Rudhyar: The Lunation Cycle (Aurora Press 1986)

Here´s what it says in their recommendation description: "This is the classic book on the lunation cycle which outlines the 8 phases of the Moon and explores the astrological characteristics associated with them"
September 3, 2019 at 18:19
(Virgo) Al » astro-flame
Thank you YC88!
September 4, 2019 at 15:01
(Aries) astro-flame » Al
:15: :15:

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar