The degrees of the Planets

July 23, 2019 at 17:15 (UT/GMT)
(Aquarius) Amdash
The degrees of the Planets
I’m a little confused regarding the degrees of the planets. You know like 16.05° Of I don’t know Jupiter in Virgo ♍️ or something like that. Do these degrees Sum up the amount of how much we Function in real life? are these degrees a representation of how strong our Personality is?

Posts in topic

Page: 1 2
Sort posts:
July 23, 2019 at 17:38
(Aquarius) Leo Moon
I have been wondering this as well Amdash.

If a planet is in the middle of a house is it at it’s strongest influence?

If at the beginning or end of a house how does this manifest?
July 23, 2019 at 20:16
(Sagittarius) goldenlion32 » Leo Moon
Well zero degrees Leo means you fall off your bike in my case today. My elbow hurts, but I´m sure it will be gone in a week.
July 23, 2019 at 20:19
(Aquarius) Leo Moon » goldenlion32
Ha ha.....maybe the transit today should have been mass transit!
:3:
Hope You’re ok.
July 23, 2019 at 20:21
(Pisces) fishscales » goldenlion32
"My elbow hurts, but I´m sure it will be gone in a week."

The pain, or the elbow??

Hey we´re in our 40s, ya never know :3:
July 23, 2019 at 23:22
(Pisces) fishscales
As long as you don´t have any planets here, you´ll be fine
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
July 23, 2019 at 23:46
(Pisces) fishscales » fishscales
^^^ Apologies to anyone with anything at 8 degrees :174:
July 24, 2019 at 00:20
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13 » Sqwishie
The cafe astrology article has in common with Chas E O Carter´s "Handbook of Psychological Astrology" the fact that modalities are more important than elements :97: :98: :97: :98:
July 24, 2019 at 00:37
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13
12 to 16 degrees of the negative signs gives business ability, that´s water and earth. :84:
The traditional detriment of :156: is :176:, but if :153: is in :179: then they power each other up! :83:
July 24, 2019 at 01:25
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13 » Leo Moon
It can definitely get complicated; Edgar Allan Poe having :157: in both 7th & 8th houses means a dual house nature! :22:
My stationary planets drag cadence into my mutable signs and remain close to the all-important angular house cusps! :23:
My Placidus chart shows :199: immersed in the 12th house, pulling Leo Regulus, up to the :176: Ascendant. :6:
Someone who has a planet 20 dg. into 1st house might very well have a harmonic six trine to the ascendant! :43:
July 24, 2019 at 06:56
(Sagittarius) goldenlion32 » Leo Moon
I´m okay. Just hurts when I bend it, just bruised. The knee too. :61: Definitely Capricorn/Cancer axis. Nothing went well yesterday. Horrible day.
July 24, 2019 at 06:57
(Sagittarius) goldenlion32 » fishscales
The pain I imagine. I don´t think it was that serious to loose an elbow. :3:
July 24, 2019 at 08:22
(Aries) astro-flame
There are several traditions on the meanings of degrees (and every astrologer usually chooses what works for them or whatever approach their school of astrology has).

The most common views are:

- Anaretic (29 and 0) and critical(different for each modality) degrees. There is a link posted above by Sqwishie to an article which explains it pretty well.

- Degrees of exaltation. There is a tradition of planets exalting (and being at fall) not only in a sign, but also in a specific degree. It just means that in this particular degree the exaltation/fall is felt the strongest. For example, Sun is exalted in Aries, specifically at 18 degrees. Moon is exalted in Taurus, at 2 degrees, Merc in 14 deg Virgo and so on.

- There is a system called "Sabian Symbols" that gives every Zodiac degree an additional symbolism. You can just google Sabian Symbols to read up on how it was created by Marc Edmund Jones, a noted American astrologer and spiritualist and the gifted clairvoyant Elsie Wheeler + there are several sites out there which list all of the symbols for each sign...

- there is also a lesser known tradition of "Royal and Destructive degrees" in Avestan School of astrology. I´m not listing them here, as it would probably raise questions about the meanings of each and I´m not so well versed in them, I just know about their existence.

- In Vedic astrology there are also certain degrees that have especially strong (positive or negative) meaning. Again, not being familiar with the details of Vedic I couldn´t say exactly which ones, but this info is easy to find.

So, as demonstrated above, there are multiple versions of an idea about some degrees having extra meaning. Some astrologers ignore them altogether and get great results, some use one or several systems and also get results. There is no right or wrong way here, I think, simply what works in one´s practice :74:
July 24, 2019 at 10:34
(Aquarius) Leo Moon
I want to thank everyone for their input and information about degrees.

Than You! :1:
July 24, 2019 at 11:29
(Pisces) fishscales » Leo Moon
I don´t think my info was very helpful, I just couldn´t resist :20:

Sadly, my consciousness of that "band" never goes away because we get so many of their CDs in at work.
July 24, 2019 at 11:34
(Aquarius) Leo Moon » fishscales
Well it added levity.

Not everything has to be all serious.

Life is too serious to be all serious all the time.

Those cds may make good targets for skeet shooting.

Try aiming 8 degrees to the left. Pull! :4:
July 24, 2019 at 11:51
(Pisces) fishscales » astro-flame
Thanks for this answer YC88.

It´s similar to the answer I envisioned giving, but sometimes I just can´t resist the silly.

Also, I felt the question was better left to someone a bit more proficient in astrological knowledge in case I didn´t cover all the bases.

Case in point, I don´t think I had ever heard of Royal and Destructive degrees before.

Regarding the Sabian Symbols:

I was very interested in them for a time. I found that other systems of degree interpretation through psychic vision also existed as well, however. This dampened my enthusiasm a bit.

But then again, each psychic may interpret the same thing differently, and since such systems are built on symbols, use different symbols to represent similar concepts.

I still refer to the Sabian symbols, as well as the other systems, from time to time. Interesting if nothing else.
July 24, 2019 at 12:00
Ha ha. You wrote Sabian Symbols.

Sabian is a company that makes cymbals.

Love the word play!

Couldn´t help but comment. :2: :4:
July 24, 2019 at 12:18
(Pisces) fishscales » Leo Moon
Wow. Don´t know how I never made that connection.

Embarrassing. :6:
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
July 24, 2019 at 12:38
I love when things are inadvertent!

Sabian symbols.....only a musician gets that joke!
July 24, 2019 at 12:40
It does show I was paying attention to what You wrote.

Ummm...diligent is he. (Says Yoda)
July 24, 2019 at 12:49
(Aries) astro-flame » fishscales
"I don´t think I had ever heard of Royal and Destructive degrees before"

yeah, the Avestan school is one of the lesser known one. It was founded by a Russian astrologer Pavel Globa based on his research into ancient Persian and Zoroastian texts. I added it just to show the great variety of systems. Just like the symbolic systems, actually.

"This dampened my enthusiasm a bit" - great way to put it! :44: I felt the same way about both Sabian Symbols (which I still look up, but much less often) AND about specific degrees. Other than anaretic, which are easy to remember (0 and 29) I don´t really pay attention... perhaps only degrees of exaltation, but even there I only remember Sun and Moon by heart, without looking it up...
July 24, 2019 at 13:16
(Pisces) fishscales » astro-flame
"I don´t really pay attention... perhaps only degrees of exaltation, but even there I only remember Sun and Moon by heart, without looking it up..."

I always remember the Vedic degrees of deep exaltation and debilitation for Jupiter, because (of course) my Jupiter is at the Vedic degree of deep debilitation, where Jupiter is at its absolute weakest, according to that system: 5 degrees Capricorn.

I´m not going to dispute that...

There are also "critical" degrees, that are not anaretic degrees, although I don´t know if I fully understand why they are critical. I have read that they are more "sensitive", whatever that means exactly.

I have my ascendant at 13 degrees Libra, which is considered a critical degree for cardinal signs, along with 0 and 26, I believe.

My Pluto is at 0 degrees Libra, which would also make it either critical or anaretic. (Not sure how the anaretic degrees change according to modality.)

Your opinion on these critical/anaretic degrees, YC88?

Easier, harder, stronger, weaker, or just points of greater emphasis?
July 24, 2019 at 13:16
(Scorpio) Angelina
I don´t know much about degrees. Only that 0° and 29° are critical degrees. Also I have read, that Sun´s degree can show a very important event in life, which will happen at that age where that degree is. But it means, that only when You are young something very important will happen? :)) Or maybe it means, that Your first the most important event will occur at that age.
Even though for me it suited well, I doubt about this theory. My sun is 12° in scorpio and when I was 12 years old I´ve lost my both grandmothers in 2 months apart. It was the biggest tragedy in my life so far. But I think it´s just a coincidence.
July 24, 2019 at 18:05
(Aquarius) Amdash » Angelina
So are 0° AND 29° both critical by themselves or together? And are the degrees between the 0° and 29° in the same ballpark?
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Gemini Gemini
Show calendar »