How to find a good astrologer

July 3, 2019 at 19:27 (UT/GMT)
(Aquarius) she’s intuitive
How to find a good astrologer
Hello everyone,

I´m just getting acquainted here in the forums and realize that by having a few answered questions has lead to having more questions.

I have some very private and deep life events that I would like to talk to an astrologer about. However, I´ve never reached out to one before and am really not sure how to go about finding a good one.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :1:

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
July 3, 2019 at 19:35
(Sagittarius) goldenlion32
In my experience, this is always through trial and error. You´re never going to know how good an astrologer is until you have them do your chart. While others can recommend them that is also always based off a personal experience. Usually good astrologers are found all over the place. Some hidden on forums and some more open in the lime light.
July 3, 2019 at 20:10
(Aquarius) she’s intuitive » goldenlion32
Hi Goldenlion32!

Thank you for the reply! That´s kind of what I was sensing. I´ll keep my eyes and ears open.
July 4, 2019 at 21:16
(Gemini) pneumadeux
You really want to find an astrologer who:

• Wants to understand YOU first, then get deep into the mechanics of your charts
• Has a philosophy that isn´t “astro-fatalistic.” In other words, recognizes that you have Choice in everything you do
• Has an understanding of comparative philosophies, religions, and cultures, so they can give you deeply rounded advice you can relate to — and follow.

That´s just for starters :)

Here´s how I wrote about this on my own site:

https://onesolotwin.wixsite.com/one…

Sam
July 4, 2019 at 21:31
(Aries) ram_goat » she’s intuitive
Become your own good astrologer.

Find a good psychic instead. Seriously.

Anyone can study astrology. Anyone can get good if they apply themselves.

Not everyone is born gifted.

Seek out others for what you are incapable of doing for yourself.
What you can do for yourself, do yourself.
July 5, 2019 at 06:40
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13
The Magi Associates Magi Astrologers keep people on a positive realistic track! :44: :1: :30: :4: :62:
July 5, 2019 at 16:04
(Aquarius) she’s intuitive » pneumadeux
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I really appreciate your time.

pneumadeux, I read your article and found it very helpful. Loved the plumber analogy Thanks!
July 5, 2019 at 16:11
(Aquarius) she’s intuitive » ram_goat
ram_goat

Thank you for your reply. I’ve never considered a psychic. ? I’m not sure I would trust someone. Not saying that I don’t believe people could have psychic abilities. It just seems that without factual data supporting their findings it might leave a door open to be taken advantage of financially.

Have you had good experiences? How did you find someone you could trust?
July 5, 2019 at 18:29
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology
I could make a couple of recommendations. However, and I´m not being flippant here, there are a few hard questions you need to ask yourself.

What do you think an astrologer can tell you? How would they be able to help?

I see that a lot of people on Astro-seek just want their experience to be "validated" by astrology. In other words, they want to have an astrologer tell them, "oh yes, Saturn is squaring Venus in your 7th house, so you must be having marital or relationship problems." You see. That doesn´t give you any real additional information, and it doesn´t tell you what you need to do. But it somehow gives people comfort just to hear that. Of course, astrology could give more information about that. Like the nature of the problem, when it might end, how it might end. If it gave you that information, would you be willing to really listen and act on it? How much do you trust astrology and WHY indeed should you trust it?

Another reason people look for an astrologer is so that they can get some kind of comfort. Indeed, sometimes astrology might be able to provide that. For example, when I was in my early 30s I became very ill. It showed on my chart and I could see a timeline for when it would end. It did. That was a pretty good use of astrology. I still had to get the right treatment, but I at least had some timeline for the illness. However, some people want the astrologer to tell them that "EVERYTHING´S Going to be alright." Well, sometimes everything is not going to be alright. And, I can tell you, that many times astrologers, especially the sort of sappy New Age astrologer whom I make fun of a lot, will come up with every euphemism in the book so that he or she does not tell you anything negative. So if an astrologer told you something unpleasant, how would you react?

Astrologer can be a source of information. It can also be a source of delusion. So I recommend that you consider what I´ve written above and be truthful with yourself. I don´t know you. I´m not accusing you of self-deceit. I´m just basing all of this off of general experience.
July 5, 2019 at 18:51
Have you had good experiences? How did you find someone you could trust?

I have been to a psychic one time. I don´t frequent them. I did it once out
of curiosity at a point in my life when I was looking for answers to things..
about 5 years ago. You kind of know when you connect with a good one, it´s not
like consumer reports publishes rankings. Go to a fair or meetup or something.
If they seem legit it will be apparent quickly. You don´t need 3 visits. It should be apparent that it´s a go/no-go situation inside 10 minutes. But you have to roll the dice and take a chance. The one I saw tuned in on me within 5 minutes and was telling me quite specific things that she could not have known otherwise. We were complete strangers. It was an interesting experience. The information and messages were very specific. Not vague BS like "you had a grandfather.." that could be true of 95% of the population.. (aka, cold reading)

What it taught me, really, is not to rely too much on outside sources. Learn to solve your own problems by becoming your own authority through self knowledge (mixed with a large dose of humility..and a sense of irony and humor.. don´t be too proud to laugh at yourself.) Ask others, but only if it is on the path to developing your own talents and skills.

This was a small group reading, so I was present to hear some of the problems of the other people in the group. A few of them I could tell were "regulars" of the psychic´s.. and I heard enough to understand that there are some really fucked up people in the world, who marginally functional, barely putting one foot in front of the other each day..

But even those people, I could see the psychic was trying to "teach" them with her messages.. they were quite targeted, but the "customers" in question didn´t want to listen. They were emotionally stunted, couldn´t let go of their grief, or their fear or their relationship obsessions. They had inner problems that no one could solve but themselves. Even the words were wasted, to some extent. Just freaked out people. Frozen by life and their circumstances. Sad, really. Most of the people seemed quite ordinary, except inside, they just couldn´t let go, move on..

I don´t know how anyone would take advantage of you financially without your consent in the matter. I´m just sayin´...

I went to a different fair, another place & time about 2 years after the first but I did not sit for a reading. There were different people at tables doing readings, and I lurked close enough to kind of hear what they were talking about with different "customers" but I didn´t like what I was hearing.. vague, iffy, didn´t get a strong vibe. Maybe it was me, maybe it was them. Couldn´t say.
Got to follow your own instincts on that.

The first "good" one I went to lives in La Jolla. She might not even do readings anymore, she was transitioning to writing books. She´s not a bargain basement psychic.. living in La Jolla costs money, as you well know.. (fellow Californian..) but I found she was the real deal. But you connect with some people, you either know what that means or you don´t. If you don´t then I can´t explain it to you. The readings visibily tired her, you can tell.

Bottom line, seek guidance but work to grow in knowledge and understanding..

This message about self reliance was not something I got from any single person or reading, it´s a realization I came to after I thought about all of them- the readings, a lifetime of experiences as a whole... just figger it out.. nobody´s going to solve it for you.

If a guru us what you seek then a guru is what you´ll find... but no guarantee it´ll be a good one.

July 5, 2019 at 19:03
(Aries) ram_goat » ancient_astrology
Yes it´s nice to have a thread where all the "olds" can talk. Over 40 space...
So many stupid BS posts in here from young girls mostly, who don´t need astrology, they just need some Erica Jong...
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
July 5, 2019 at 19:18
(Aries) ram_goat » ancient_astrology
Astrologer can be a source of information. It can also be a source of delusion.

Bingo. Glad we can have "Oldspace" <sarcasm> in here.

Honesty. Life experience. Realism. Realistic expectations.

the typical 24 year old girl who posts romance stuff in the forums doesn´t
want to hear these sorts of things. Wouldn´t know what to do with the truth if you handed it to them. Insufficient life experience. Terminal case of know-it-all-ism, usually as well.

It´s a precious time of life, being young, but also so tiresome.

Youth is wasted on the young, as the old French saying goes..
July 5, 2019 at 22:58
(Aquarius) she’s intuitive » ram_goat
ψυχη and ram_goat,

You both have given me some wonderful food for thought ?Thank you, It’s much appreciated

Knowing that my intentions are 1) to see if the life events that have taken place were some where in my chart that could be seen and identified and 2) are there ways to utilize the friendly aspects in our charts to assist us with the more challenging and trying periods of our lives.

Of course there are other things that I would like to understand as well. But those are at the top of my “need to know” list.

I’ve never been comfortable with the concept of seeking out my future as in fortune telling. That would seem to be along the line of a fatalistic mindset. But I would say that I believe in being spiritually awake, and that the whole process of being awake is sometimes a journey that not only takes time but requires a fair amount of seeking and searching from a soul level.

Interestingly enough, I feel I’m gaining more understanding in the short time I’ve been engaged in these forms. I don’t have anyone in my personal life that understands astrology nor cares to. It’s really nice to have a place to share and converse with other people who have not only an interest, but also understanding.

As for the over 40 club, I’ll give that 2 thumbs up :37:
July 6, 2019 at 02:05
As for the over 40 club, I’ll give that 2 thumbs up

yes, really, just read some of the posts younger people make.. jeezus..

fortune telling is a dodgy business. even in mainstream religious circles, the thought around biblical prophecy is that it is more a message about how to act in the "now", in the present, than it is a message about future events.

definitely have to keep your mind rooted in the present moment, whatever it is you are into, since that is the only moment we live in.. the future and past are both abstractions. Got to make things work in the "now"..

It is nice to have people to talk to who are on your wavelength. Even if you do find people around you who are interested in the subject, their knowledge often isn´t very deep. There are also people here who treat astrology like math or science.. very mechanistically.. a very stupid approach. Just look at the stupid lives they live to see what comes of that approach. Physician, heal thyself...

as always, wisdom lies somewhere in the middle..
July 11, 2019 at 07:29
(Leo) HeavenSent » she’s intuitive
Hi Desirai,

I pretty much second what Ram Goat says --

"Become your own good astrologer.

Find a good psychic instead. Seriously.

Anyone can study astrology. Anyone can get good if they apply themselves.

Not everyone is born gifted.

Seek out others for what you are incapable of doing for yourself.
What you can do for yourself, do yourself."

He´s right. Astrology can be learned, although just like in anything else, some are more gifted than others. But true psychic abilities cannot be acquired. And the best way to use astrology, if you have the time and the inclination, is to learn all you can and read your own chart.

Before I became fluent in astrology, I had my chart read by two professional astrologers, both friends of mine. One was disappointingly vague and general. The other ultimately proved astonishingly precise (predictively) - to a degree that I now know was impossible from just technical astrological skill. Although he was a pragmatist and a technician first, he was an Aquarian Sun who was also gifted with powerful psychic flashes.

Now, after much study and practice, I understand why my other friend´s reading was vague. I also understand why professional astrologers tend to charge so much. A natal chart is a huge canvas. A reading of a chart can be like an art critic standing in front of a massive highly complex and allegorical painting that dominates an entire wall in a museum, and carefully going over every detail in the composition with you.

Hope my thoughts are helpful. Don´t be discouraged. You can start here. Start by just asking a question. Then another one. With regard to personal stuff, you could just pose questions about themes related to houses, etc...
July 11, 2019 at 07:39
(Leo) HeavenSent » ram_goat
I´ve never read Erica Jong´s seminal titles. But this lesser-known one is among my treasures --
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
July 13, 2019 at 17:16
(Aquarius) she’s intuitive » HeavenSent
HeavenSent & Ram_goat

I wanted to thank you both for your replies. Your advice has been very helpful.

I’ve spent the last several days digging deeper into the well of information and knowledge. I guess you could say I’ve been down a few rabbit holes. ? :3:

Although I’ve been studying astrology for almost 10 years, it feels like I’m grazing the tip of a very large iceberg or have entered a bottomless pit.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Virgo Virgo
Show calendar »