Astrology: Karma and Random Number Generator

July 2, 2019 at 14:09 (UT/GMT)
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology
Astrology: Karma and Random Number Generator
I don´t have an issue with the question of past lives. After all, there has been some serious investigation into it. I do have some problems with the notion of "Karma". So many people go hungry, so many people suffer severe exploitation, sexual trauma, the list goes on. Now for those who tout the notion of karma, it follows that these victims are not really victims, they are just getting payback for something they did in the past. I find that problematic. It´s also a nice justification for the status quo. They will tell you that you´re poor, not because the social system is unfair, but because you´ve got bad karma.

You got raped? Too bad, you must have raped somebody in a past life. You´re a hungry child? Well you must have been a cruel despot in a past life.

In other words, Karma is a rationalization of evil.

Of course, karma might be a real thing. I could be wrong about my doubts. Just want to say that. I´m speculating here.

Lately, I´ve been thinking about astrology as a sort of limit on a random generator. By that I mean, your soul gets called and you just randomly get assigned the configuration of planets at the time you enter the world. This way, over a period of lifetimes, you get to experience a lot of different things, because you get dealt random cards. You also get tested as to what you do with that set of cards.

It´s absurd, but it makes some sense if you view incarnation as a way to experience new things.

Am I going to argue with someone over this? No, I´m speculating.

Posts in topic

Page: 1 2
Sort posts:
July 2, 2019 at 14:18
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology
By the way, I realize my random generator could equally be used as a "justification" for evil. However, at least, it does not place the blame on the people suffering.
(Libra) leorising
i believe that we choice our birth chart, or things that will happen in this life
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user zodicat, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
Your Sun card is the Five of Clubs - "The Quest for Truth" card.

The karma card you owe a debt to is the Five of Hearts - the "Emotional Wanderer" card, and the karma card who owes a debt to you is the Four of Clubs - the "Mental Satisfaction" card.

Just throwing info out there...
July 2, 2019 at 14:29
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » zodicat
Zodicat, What´s that based on? How would you test it? How do you know it´s "karma"?

I mean, somebody can ascribe a certain meaning to Tarot or regular cards. Some of those things can kind of be tested. However, ascribing Karma seems more problematic.
July 2, 2019 at 15:08
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » ancient_astrology
System message: Post has been written by user zodicat, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
"What´s that based on? How would you test it? How do you know it´s "karma"?"

?1: Oral tradition of the Order of the Magi.

?2: Sharing the calculable information, gauging the reactions to it.

?3: When it comes to karma, I can only state to know what I feel to be true of myself. As far as testing a system that portends to delineate the flow of karma, I cannot know for certain. At best, I can be swayed to have faith that the ability to delineate as ascribed by the system holds true or be swayed to construe that it is bullshit given others´ input regarding what is suggested to be true of their karma as it relates to their own experiences. Thus far, the former is the tortoise.

Karma is a matter of faith; it is problematic for those without it. Arguably so for those who have it, too. Just in different ways.
July 2, 2019 at 17:50
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » Vanille
<<Karma is only a current life thing, you get punished for your mistakes, and if you undergo bad things unfairly, you will get rewarded later on in life for being so strong and staying sane.>>

I tend to agree with you. In any case, it is best not to assume stuff like karma predicated on past lives. It´s ok to speculate on this stuff, but some people assume that because they "feel" something is right, it is right. They also think because Yogi Kumundanunda Paganandana said it, it´s true. Sorry but Yogi Impressive Polysyllabic Name is probably couching his ideas in his own cultural biases. The notion of past-life Karma based upon past lives is just speculation.

IT´S an INTELLECTUAL CONCEPTUALIZATION THAT MAKES PEOPLE FEEL GOOD BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO EXPLAIN SOMETHING, MAKE THINGS MEANINGFUL. However, just because it makes things seem meaningful, it does not mean that it is accurate. I would say that astrology can serve this same purpose and so, we have to be careful with astrology as well. It has to be tested. The difference is ASTROLOGY CAN BE TESTED.

Again, my random generator idea also is just speculation. I would never tell somebody that it is the absolute truth. I don´t know.
July 2, 2019 at 19:45
(Pisces) TimeSciences
If I am unable to prove or disprove something to myself, does it matter? What is the truth about Karma? The best I can honestly come up with is that Karma is a matter of definition and belief. Belief, belief systems and especially claims and assumptions that cannot be proven or disproven result in rationalization due in large part to emotions and the complexity of social, psychological and biological factors. The logic of this explains the history and dangers of religions and even non-religious movements (i.e.:political) to the progress of and to humanity in many areas.
What is reality and what is truth? Why, how and who decides? Why do humans believe? These are questions that are as old as humanity and just as interesting and amusing to explore as even the late Richard Feynman seems to have done as well as evinced by his humorous essay ´Cargo Cult Science´ that begins at the end of page 199 of ´Surely You Must Be Joking Mr. Feynman´
http://sistemas.fciencias.unam.mx/~…

I agree with him that ´The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and, you are the easiest person to fool.´ :75:
July 2, 2019 at 20:27
(Sagittarius) goldenlion32
I personally think it´s a experience you have to go through yourself. With Ketu in the 1st and Rahu in the 7th, it would be like you telling my 1st house Leo doesn´t exist there for I do not exist.

With the North Node Tables

Sit down and write out every time line since your were born and connect the dots. Write all your memories down of events, boyfriends, girlfriends, wives, husbands, schools, jobs, and see if their are any patterns and connect the dots.

In mine I can see when I ascend and descend with the Nodes.

If you have the birth charts of a lot of people like me, you can see the karma playing out, and sure perhaps it was a brutal life with Aries in Chiron (Karma) and Asteroid Karma in Cancer in the 12th house. Anti-Vertex in Cancer/Vertex in Capricorn in 6th house.

I also have Cancer in the 12th house, Scorpio in the 4th, and Pisces in the 8th house, and may be you just haven´t manage to go through certain passage of rites yet or have enough years yet to use the tables like me to see how things manifest.

As I just had an experience similar to 2000, Saturn in Taurus, and North Node Cancer/South Node Capricorn

Really, I don´t debate or argue on belief systems, because I understand people are passionate about belief systems and back in 2009 in Saturn in Libra and North Node Capricorn/South Node Cancer it was my intention than to learn about that and usually it can go around in circles for days. I went around with an Atheist for three days, while everyone on hubpages rooted for me to give this dude the time of his life. :61:

:61: :61: my son was even laughing at me because this dude wouldn´t let it go and being Mars in Scorpio, Venus in Scorpio, and Jupiter in Scorpio, it was like how long do you want to go on with this debate.

Scorpio´s never go down without a fight. :39: I just outgrew it for the most part because it did it so much back then, it just lost it´s flavor.
No one really wins, and you give tons of data, facts, evidence and both sides and that´s when he really got pissed, because I brought up, "Oh, your not practicing a religion, yet have a building, an atheist book, and everyone meets there once a week, and you have an atheist leader for those in the Military to counsel there soldiers."

I had someone come up and say "Do you know you just stirred up a beehive." And then my mentor at the time teaching me Eastern Philosophies stated, "Are you done with the war yet?" pointing to my Aries in Chiron and Mars in Scorpio.

http://cayelincastell.com/wp-conten…
July 2, 2019 at 20:42
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » TimeSciences
That is very well said TimeScience. And we must be extremely self-observant and meticulous when we start studying subjects like astrology, because you are potentially opening a Pandora´s box of illusion and bullshit.

That´s why I like Cajun´s application of astrology to gambling. As Nassim Taleb says, as long as you don´t have skin in the game, you can come up with any bullshit you want to. However, if you´re betting, using astrology, A) the results are much more objective and clear than if you are, say, looking for the part of your chart that says you´re spiritual and (B) you risk something...you risk losing you ass if you make the wrong bet.
Don´t get me wrong. I´m not saying astrology needs to be used for betting or that it should be restricted to it, but I think it IS a good test.
July 2, 2019 at 21:16
(Aquarius) Leo Moon
You should speculate. That is all any of this esoteric, philosophical faith based , woo woo( pick Your word) is. Speculation.

Life is waking up , eating and going to the bathroom. Working, playing eating , loving, going to the bathroom and going to sleep.

In the period between waking and sleeping, I always ask,if I have learned something. Created something. Enjoyed someone, helped myself or someone. Loved someone. Loved myself.

This is the day all humans , anywhere at anytime have experienced. Simple.

The rest is speculation. I have found value in it all, but I never forget how simple life actually is.

The entire sum of all human knowledge, as impressive as it can seem, is just about zero.

It´s good to speculate and question. It sure is fun and interesting! :3:
July 2, 2019 at 21:40
(Pisces) fishscales
Good topic soul man. (May I call you that in honor your new moniker? :5:)

I´m writing in this thread in
the spirit of healthy debate, not a desire to argue.

I believe karma is the law that governs the universe. I believe there can be no cause without an effect, and no effect without a cause.

It´s not even accurate or honest to say that I "believe" in these things, but saying "believe" makes for more polite conversation.

I don´t even see karma as a matter of belief, I see it as a matter of science. Thoughts and emotions consist of matter, albeit a less dense form of matter than what constitutes the physical world we live in. Stands to reason that if Newton´s third law applies in the physical world, it applies in the realms of more ethereal matter as well.

I fully embrace the idea of past lives. What I do not embrace is many of the theories about past lives and reincarnation (which is a misnomer) bandied about by the new age hipster crowd.

I do not believe that we choose the circumstances of our existences pre-birth: I do not believe we choose our parents, where we are born, whether we are male or female, rich or poor, black or white.

The circumstances we are born into in life are the precise circumstances that are karmically appropriate for us. Our lives are the effects of the causes that we put into motion ourselves. As we live, we create more causes, whose effects will come to fruition either in this life, or the next.

This also neatly solves the problem of fate vs free will.

Yes, we are fated to experience certain things based on our karma: karma that was created, in its entirety, out of actions taken under our own free will.

I cannot think of a more fair system to govern the universe than one that holds us accountable for our own actions.

As far as bad things happening to good people. Virgil wrote:

"No, not if I had a hundred mouths, a hundred tongues, and throats of brass, inspired with iron lungs, I could not half those my horrid crimes describe, nor half the punishments those crimes have met.”

I believe Virgil was not only a poet, but a mystic. I believe this passage not only expresses Virgil´s personal knowledge of his own past lives, but also makes a general statement regarding the nature of the past lives of the vast majority of humanity.

Bad things do happen to people we perceive as undeserving of having such things happen to them.

However unpopular it makes me sound, I do believe that such situations occur often, but not always, for karmic reasons.

I do not see this as a rationalization of evil, I see it as the basic operative functionalism of the universe: cause and effect.

Everything must be brought into balance. Our opinions about it don´t matter. I believe the law is the law, and the law will fulfill itself.

What I am NOT saying is that we should not have compassion when something bad happens to someone, or just shrug our shoulders and say "eh they must have deserved it." That is ludicrous. If we were truly awake, we would remember all of our past lives and have a conscious understanding of the workings of karma, and not even be having this conversation. However, we are sleeping creatures, and we are all in the same boat in that regard. Therefore, it makes sense to have compassion for our fellow human beings. If one suspends compassion based on judgement and a sense of superiority, they clearly don´t understand the principles of compassion...or karma.

As for astrology, I believe the position of the planets at the time of our birth is a synchronous reflection of our own personal karma.

How it works, I don´t know.

Anyway, that´s enough for now.

Time to make a hoagie.
July 2, 2019 at 22:07
(Aquarius) Leo Moon » fishscales
I was going to post the song “Karma Chameleon”
.....but I just can’t do it.

Probably would be bad karma! :3:
:4:
July 2, 2019 at 22:09
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology » fishscales
<<Good topic soul man. (Can I call you that due to your new moniker? :5:)>>

Absolutely. You can call me that :37:
July 2, 2019 at 22:25
(Pisces) fishscales » Leo Moon
Yeah don´t want to add Boy George karma to that butcher´s karma..

:61: :163:

Joke.. Could not resist..
July 2, 2019 at 22:27
Joke away my friend! :4:

No question I may revert if I hear that song! :47:
July 2, 2019 at 22:28
(Aquarius) Leo Moon » ancient_astrology
I thought it was the call letters for a Rembetika radio station!

:46:
July 2, 2019 at 22:49
I think that would be ΧΑΣΣ (HASH)

:75: :46: :46:
July 2, 2019 at 22:53
(Pisces) fishscales » fishscales
Instead of ending my first post with "time to make a hoagie" (which I did, and it was excellent... Extra vinegar and banana peppers... heaven), I should´ve ended it with "time to head down to the wharf" or "time to lament"...
July 2, 2019 at 22:56
Good to know! :46:

I’m writing that on a big square of cardboard and will hold it up down at the warf !

July 2, 2019 at 23:03
Pssst...My friend... What can I get you?

Uncle Paulie only gets the good shit
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
July 2, 2019 at 23:24
That Rembetika guy´s name is Apostolos, which is the Greek version of the name Paul, and literally translates to "apostle."

Apostle Of Hash.

Helluva nickname.

And I think we may have another song title:

A Side: Karma Of A Butcher

B Side: Apostle Of Hash

Diggin it man
July 2, 2019 at 23:43
Ha ha ha. :61:

We’ll have an album soon.
July 2, 2019 at 23:58
Our goal: get Tipper Gore out of retirement, and back in the PMRC biz.

Already finished the cover art for the B side
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
July 3, 2019 at 01:02
I was just thinking of Tipper and the PMRC.
Played a song by the band WASP for my friend.
Called “F**k Like A Beast. I don’t think she liked it!

That band were a bunch of poseurs.

They did get a special notice from Mrs. Gore.

Tipper probably needed Al to listen to it.

Maybe she wouldn’t have been shocked that rock music talks about sex.

I loved Zappa at that hearing. I will have to watch that again!
July 3, 2019 at 01:05
I want that poster for my wall!

I will hang it next to my Elvis portrait done in fluorescent paint on black velvet ! :61:
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Leo Leo
Show calendar »