Astrology newbie

June 24, 2019 at 22:32 (UT/GMT)
(Gemini) melw.1010
Astrology newbie
So, I’ve been studying astrology for the past few years now. When I say “study” I mean I’ve researched some of my own placements through online research and I do have some astrology books but I still feel like I know absolutely nothing. I’m in astrology groups on Facebook and I’ve picked up a couple things here and there but I’m curious as to what someone would suggest as far as a place to start. I would like to be able to look at a chart or transits and not spend an entire day googling every aspect and trying to figure out what planets are making what aspects. I feel like there has to be a more effective way to start out or to teach myself. My end goal is to be able to translate a chart and understand what I’m looking at.

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
June 25, 2019 at 09:27
(Sagittarius) goldenlion32
There are tons of workshops different astrologers give online. There are also many books, and so I´m not sure what you´re trying to say here. They even give a whole list of resources in one thread. Astrology is not something you learn over night or even in a few years.

If you read a lot of charts your practicing and applying the techniques and methods. If you know absolutely nothing what are you reading, wathng, and applying. Maybe your not using the right key words in search.
June 25, 2019 at 20:56
(Pisces) fishscales
I think this is a good site for beginners, or people who want to brush up on the basics:

https://astrolibrary.org/

I particularly like the "How to read your own chart" section.

Cafe Astrology is another good one for the basics, although some of the interpretation pages aren´t complete.

https://cafeastrology.com/

Lots of knowledgeable folks around here that can answer your more specific questions too. :15:
June 25, 2019 at 21:26
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user MarvinReal, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
You are a Gemini sign, curious about everything, without depth. Take a time instead! You have entire life to figure out all things. Astrology is just a small piece of life. It can takes years and decades, and over again, you will return back to the same information like previously, but this time maybe you´ll be understanding a meaning without even trying so.

Learn archetypes of subconscious, mythology, religions, history. Try to learn interpreation of dreams or cards. Keep it realistic and rational. But avoid all sectarian witchcraft and spiritism. Evil things. Dreams interpretation and its images will help you start a difference. There must be pictures or sounds instead of words. It´s good that you already reading books. Just continue. And it will click-in by itself one day. Avoid online resources. It´s too confusing and dispersed. Lot of scams, fraud, time wasting.
June 25, 2019 at 21:48
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » Vanille
System message: Post has been written by user MarvinReal, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
All people living quickly are dying quickly. Countless of evidence. What you are is given in birth. Nobody can go against his/her own nature. If your nature is fast, you´re gonna be fast. If slow, then slow. All living organisms have in-build clock. If you think you´re running out of time, then it´s indeed likely the case.
June 25, 2019 at 21:59
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » Vanille
=====
What´s the efficiency of bombarding others with your questions? Perhaps 10% ? Help yourself options have 75-95% success rate. Given resources you must put in, it´s ineffective, similarly like astro-seek dating and friend-making. Not worth of time and efforts. How many questions are really answered? How many correctly and completely?
June 25, 2019 at 22:20
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » fishscales
=====
There is even astrological wikipedia, astrological podcasts, astrological games and so on. But can you learn it from watching videos? Something, maybe. It´s like catching up a train in full-speed motion. Would you rather to onboard on station named start?
June 25, 2019 at 23:12
(Aries) ram_goat
Have you looked at the site tools at all?
June 26, 2019 at 00:05
(Gemini) melw.1010 » ram_goat
Yeah I was looking around in there and I’m not really understanding some of it but I will dig some more and maybe break down to some more specific questions or see if someone has already asked it.
June 26, 2019 at 00:11
(Gemini) melw.1010 » MarvinReal
I wouldn’t say I don’t I don’t have any depth with this. I feel like it’s quite the opposite. My biggest problem is I’ve always been better at learning in a hands on way. Like someone sitting in front of me and explaining things and I can ask questions on the spot. My second form of trying to learn is almost like I need a step by step process. My comprehension skills are pretty rough when I’ve started without even a basic concept of anything past my sun sign. I get discombobulated when I start trying to figure out what this planet is doing in this sign and in that house aspected with another planet in another house squared to another one and it gets really overwhelming. I guess I was looking for an idea or maybe even your experience with how you started to understand it more fluidly. I don’t even know if that makes sense.
June 26, 2019 at 00:15
(Gemini) melw.1010 » goldenlion32
I didn’t think it was something I would learn over night or something that I think could ever be 100% mastered. I just get overwhelmed with it and was just looking for someone to point me in a direction or maybe even their experience when they were first trying to learn it.
June 26, 2019 at 00:17
(Gemini) melw.1010 » Vanille
Yes lol my brain keeps trying to absorb so much at once and I’m not used to not picking something up quickly. I think this is the one thing I’ve ever spent this much time constantly looking into and still feel like I know absolutely nothing.
June 28, 2019 at 05:16
(Leo) HeavenSent
I was learning about astrology for about twenty years before I plunged in-depth into technical study and chart analysis. I know my twenty years of curiosity, observation, and absorbing gave me the solid basis I needed when it came time to connecting the basic puzzle pieces of a chart... So, at least in my case, there have been no shortcuts.

I glanced at your chart. Natal Mercury retrograde tends to make your mind work differently from the norm. You actually have some fairly strong placements supporting astrological work, if you wanted to pursue it:

:78:Moon (intuition) conjunct Mars (career).
:78:VII House (clients and partners) in Aqua (the sign that rules astrology)
:78:Your Sun (life path) and Mercury (mental skills, interactions :78:communication, deals, contracts) in XI (the House that rules astrology)
:78: Moon-Mars conjunction in III (communication) in Libra (clients, partnerships, money, contracts)
:78: Neptune in VIII

All of the above bodes well for an astrological trajectory in which you help clients. One of the best ways to develop your skills and insight is to sit down an interactively do someone´s chart gratis.
June 28, 2019 at 15:25
(Gemini) melw.1010 » HeavenSent
HeavenSent, thank you. I was starting to get the idea that maybe I need to just sit down with a notebook and a chart and break it down the hard way to get a feel for it. That is usually how things click in my head, by working through it.

I really appreciate the validation. My entire life has been spent with so many questions (religion, spirituality) and trying to make sense of it all and astrology is the first thing that ive come across that actually resonates with me so I want to know more. I figured it would be a life long process of learning. I guess I just felt like I should know more than I do but I guess that is me trying to rush the process. Anyway, I really appreciate the feedback on the placements.
June 28, 2019 at 16:01
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user zodicat, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
"...I’m curious as to what someone would suggest as far as a place to start. I would like to be able to look at a chart or transits and not spend an entire day googling every aspect and trying to figure out what planets are making what aspects."

If I could rewind my own time spent studying, I would begin with understanding the significance of the houses, particularly as they are described to be combinations of an elemental energy + a modality, rather than attempting to begin with understanding planets and signs.

The natural zodiac of Aries as first and Pisces as last is the framework of astrology, and is very much aligned with basic principles of alchemy. The symbolism of the planets and the significance of aspects are derived from this framework.

If you don´t understand the alchemical principles of the four elements and how they relate to the human experience, that´s the best start.

From there, learning the difference between an angular, a succedent, and a cadent house would be the next step.

From there, the symbolism of the four quadrants.

...and then from there, you have the framework to understand each individual house without having to read any other´s interpretation.

...and finally from there, you have the framework to understand how the aspects operate as being a link between two different houses. i.e. a square being two different elements of the same modality, a trine being two shared elements of different modalities.

Having a working understanding of astronomy and mythology are both invaluable along the way as well.

This tended to be the progression in classical education. Students who came to learn and understand astronomy, mythology, alchemy, numerology, and philosophy and who also showed an ability to apply this knowledge in both their own queries and those presented to them by others would then and only then begin the instruction of interpreting the nativities of themselves and others.
August 16, 2019 at 19:38
(Aquarius) nikkia » zodicat
Zodicat,

What a wonderful roadmap to learning !!!

There was a piece of basic astrological study I was missing that created such confusion and frustration.
Now, I know.
Thanks to you.

From here, my study will deepen.
I am deeply grateful.

:37:

And, if so inclined... would the more experienced astrologers here maybe suggest quality books worth investing in - for the long haul?

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Libra Libra
Show calendar »