Age of the Smart Phone/Social Media

November 15, 2022 at 16:55 (UT/GMT)
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user IntoTheVoid, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====

Age of the Smart Phone/Social Media
So... Just curious yet again.
What do you think about smart phones?
I find them helpful at times, but think they are used excessively... Especially for these addictive apps like Instagram, TikTok (never used it and don´t have any desire to).
I grew up in a wooded area. My friends and I would explore the woods for days together, we loved being near the river and climbing trees, building forts, walking our dogs and picking berries. I got dial up internet around age 14. My stepdad was an alcoholic, so in order to no pay for our dial up internet, my stepsister and I would clean up and organize his empties as a means to be able to help and in exchange we would get internet...
Fast forward to age 17, I got my first flip phone as a birthday gift. This was solely to be able to contact my folks after school, ect. I barely used it, being a "loner" in high school.
During my last year of highschool, I got my first boyfriend, blah blah... Then he got an iPod touch, on which he downloaded instagram. I remember being disappointed that he was on it so frequently, chatting with friends, ect. I felt left out. Then, because I graduated highschool, Mom decided I should get a smart phone, too. Then we just called them touch screen phones.
I downloaded instagram, Facebook... Then I was pretty well hooked. It allowed me to express myself through art and share it with folks I´d been unable to reach so easily in the past.
I thought it was great... Just throughout my life up until now, I realise I´ve been using smart phones and addictive internet apps for 10* years.
I am so sick of these social media apps. I am not against them, I just don´t work well with them personally. I have an addictive mindset as it is, and can get extremely unproductive and almost...mentally ill using my device excessively.
A week ago during the ECLIPSE (which was playing out on my 1st/7th house axis), I decided to delete instagram and Facebook for good. It was having a terrible affect on my mental health, productivity, attention span, sleep schedule, and outlook on humanity. Too much information all at once... Has now been turned way the f#@$ down and it feels so much better, even just after a week.
I find there are periods where I am tempted to go back on the apps due to fear of missing out, boredom, or curiosity... But overall I´ve been learning discipline from this experience, and it´s been positive in other areas of my life as well: I now read more. I have been creating more, painting, drawing, playing my lovely guitar. My conversations are more positive, and I´m feeling less judgemental of others and myself (I´ve been working at being conscious of this for a while now).
Anyway, sorry to rant, haha..
I just would love to hear others thoughts and feelings on this topic!

Posts in topic

Page: 1 2 3
Sort posts:
November 15, 2022 at 18:43
(Pisces) Tina95
I feel you!

I was never into social media. It is a fake world which makes you unsecure and unproductive, I hate this. Never had instagram or tiktok and never will... no thanks.

I sometimes feel the same with YouTube, but this is quite hard to distinguish because there is lot of amazing content too, you just have to filter it correctly. But is has addictive qualities for sure.

Yeah and smartphones, what should I say. They are useful, practical and fun, but nearly everyone is so addictive to it nowadays. Me too. But it more depends on how you use it. Sounds pretty boring, but for me it is about learning the correct use of it. Then it will be fine I guess :D
November 15, 2022 at 18:52
(Virgo) rohini moon
I hate them.

It was a stepping stone to make everyone soulless. Completely dependent on it, as if it is their God. In 1 month from now, I won´t even have a cell anymore, by choice. and I am fine with this. I barely use what I have now. It´s liberating not to be held down by the constraints of these things, people don´t fully grasp how soul-sucking they are. literally and figuratively.

ps. hey voidy.. glad to see you back - reviving this place like the old times.
November 15, 2022 at 19:26
(Pisces) Tina95 » rohini moon
Soulless is the perfect word to describe it!
November 15, 2022 at 20:50
(Cancer) Victor_Valiant_
I dislike the dependency, that I have to use the phone for everything critical nowadays.
Like 2 step verification, & authentication on websites.
Doing it all day drains the battery even more than calling.
Not to mention banking, which I find really risky on the phone with low level security.

I read almost weekly in newsletters, that such phones got hacked, phising & malware

And yeah the constant checking on all socials.
I´m on every platform as an artist so have to keep active etc. ;D

But I´ve met thousands of people, had deep conversations, pics/video sharing at cool moments in life.
I´ve had lots of fun experiences with the smart phone that otherwise couldn´t have happened.
So don´t really agree with the soulless part, even if it feels that way sometimes.
It´s just an medium to communicate, and I love video calling someone 8 time zones away, in real time.

Here´s a fun fact
The ancient Mayan´s were right, they predicted with their calender the end of time in 2012.
People misinterpreted that as end of the world.
But the mayan calender cycles were about evolution of human consciousness.
And they wrote that in the future no matter how far across the world people are from each other, they would have the means to communicate in real time from anywhere.
That people in the future could co-create in real time & exchange ideas instantly all over the world. And that every joy a human being could possibly have would be instantly gratified.
They believed it to be heavenly.

It all came true, we have video conferences, everyone can talk in real time from all over the world.
Remote 3d printers, that co-create from one part of the world to the other in real time.
Open source projects & platforms, where hundreds even thousand of people are working & coding it at same time as people using it.
And we have every possible entertainment available at a click of a button.
Every food cuisine can be ordered by take out, every culture music can be instantly listened to.
And entire history & knowledge is available with Wikipedia & knowledge bases online etc.
And all can be accessed from an phone that´s the size of one´s hand.

Think of it... the fact that the mayan´s were living in huts and hunted with a spear.
And then by eating some hallucinogenic berries of the forest, and sitting by the campfire getting visions on the future, info of all planets in the solar system & naming them, and could make a calendar on human evolution 12000 years in advance, and smart enough to set it in stone. Write a legacy for others to follow on.
As life expectancy was like 30years old max back then, it was hard for them to pass their knowledge along.
And it survived, and turned out all true too. Is just mind blowing ;D

So yeah that´s what I think of smart phones ;)
It holds great power & enriches experiences in life,
when it´s used right & used with moderation lol ^^

Cheers :37:
November 15, 2022 at 21:02
(Aries) Wolfmoon
"What do you think about smart phones?"

Not a fan. They´re designed to be additive and manipulative. Even before discovering that, you could kind of tell.

Your time line sounds very familiar to mine. Grew up on an isolated farm, dial up internet at 14 and flip phone at 17. Never used it for anything other than texting or calls. 24 was when I got my first iPhone. It was around that time I deleted FB.

I have one now and mostly just message and phone. Or i´ll lurk the forums. They are handy to have for certain things, banking etc but then you have to have some plus to the bad.

At work, smokos are dead. Everyone just sits and scrolls on their phones. Never really any real conversation anymore.

I´m happy to have been born just a little too late for them to have completely absorbed my 20s.
November 15, 2022 at 21:02
(Aries) ram_goat » Tina95
I was never into social media. It is a fake world which makes you unsecure and unproductive, I hate this. Never had instagram or tiktok and never will... no thanks.

Ditto.

Best to use phones as a tool to communicate with real people you actually know and care about IRL, or for selling things, for commerce.

The rest of the time, let it sit on the charger in the corner of the room on silent and with the screen off.
November 15, 2022 at 21:05
(Aries) ram_goat
I am so sick of these social media apps. I am not against them, I just don´t work well with them personally. I have an addictive mindset as it is, and can get extremely unproductive and almost...mentally ill using my device excessively.
A week ago during the ECLIPSE (which was playing out on my 1st/7th house axis), I decided to delete instagram and Facebook for good.

But not Telegram!!!

Yes this eclipse. My god. Extreme changes, but mostly positive for me. Losses but not traumatic ones. Losing things I didn´t need anyway. A huge housecleaning. What makes this one a little nicer than most things involving Pluto is that strangely, this time, clearing away the old shit also somehow includes some view of the road ahead, some promised land. A destination. That is not Pluto´s usual way of operating.
November 15, 2022 at 21:08
(Virgo) rohini moon » rohini moon
Also, they emit a lot of radiation, not exactly good for your health. Every time I turn around there is another new "iphone" - do you really think it´s imperative to upgrade the cellphones every few months? A flip phone used to last one person 5 years, if not more. The constant "upgrading" should be cause for concern for people.
November 15, 2022 at 21:10
(Aries) ram_goat » rohini moon
I hate them too, but in the end they are merely tools.

It is the cunty millenials that brought all of the dysfunctional behavior
and mental issues associated with phones into the world. Before them, all this stuff was unheard of outside of mental health facilities.

Never hear a pluto libra or pluto virgo with these issues around phones and mental health. Only pluto scorp and later.

So there is an age/cultural/mentality divide too that I see between different
generations.

So long as you use it as a tool, that has a defined purpose, I think they are a net "good" in the world..

Much of dark/negative side is closely associated with certain (pluto) generations, and not with others.

Cell phones existed in the 80´s/90´s and literally NOBODY had these problems..
November 15, 2022 at 21:12
(Virgo) rohini moon » ram_goat
I´m keeping my landline, until they get rid of that next.. I believe that´s coming in 2025 - Landlines will be obsolete.. so you will have no choice but to bow down to the altar of Steve Jobs
November 15, 2022 at 21:19
emm I don´t use apple product or buy them. Never have never will. Get an android phone and install Lineage OS on it.. it´s android but with all the google crap stripped out. Get into linux. Lot more privacy and less bullshit in that world. I don´t "do" Microsoft goods, products, or software either. Dropped all that decades ago.

I´ll be getting a linux phone here in the near future just to try it out.

My main cell phone is an android phone running lineage OS.

Fuck Steve Jobs and his company.
November 15, 2022 at 21:20
where do you even buy a landline phone anymore these days?

I have been cell phone only since 1998

last landline phone I bought was in 1996.
November 15, 2022 at 21:23
My brother has starlink at their house. They are pretty happy with it, but pricey $$$

Still they live down a long driveway and can´t get conventional internet there, so even starlink is cheaper for them than tearing up the driveway.
November 15, 2022 at 21:37
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » rohini moon
System message: Post has been written by user IntoTheVoid, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
Good for you Ro. And I totally agree, it does feel liberating to not be held down by the static of social medias.

Thanks for the welcome back. Nice to talk with you again :1:
November 15, 2022 at 21:39
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » Tina95
=====
Glad to hear your perspective! It´s good to be without addictive devices
November 15, 2022 at 21:52
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » ram_goat
=====
Ah yes Telegram! I deleted the app and forgot about it a while ago. RIP :(
November 15, 2022 at 21:55
(Aries) ram_goat » IntoTheVoid
Just more eclipse house cleaning. This has actually been a pretty benign one for me, as eclipses go.
November 15, 2022 at 21:58
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » ram_goat
=====
"
It is the cunty millenials that brought all of the dysfunctional behavior
and mental issues associated with phones into the world. Before them, all this stuff was unheard of outside of mental health facilities.
Much of dark/negative side is closely associated with certain (pluto) generations, and not with others"

Now I don´t want to come off as a hypocrite, because basically all of my 20s were spent using social media and smartphones... But yeah, you´ve got a really good point.
I actually do see a few Pluto libras using socials excessively... Filming and posting consistently... But that´s what these aps are designed for. Other than the connections they serve, they are extremely addictive for most
November 15, 2022 at 22:06
(Aries) ram_goat » IntoTheVoid
But that´s what these aps are designed for.

Exactly. I saw that quickly and that is why I have never used these things.

This site is the closest thing to social media that I use.
November 15, 2022 at 22:11
"where do you even buy a landline phone anymore these days?"

It was already set up where I moved years ago. Kept it. If it ain´t broke, why fix it.

They still *have* these things, it´s just that they´ve propagandized everyone to use what they want you to use. for their own benefits, not yours.
November 15, 2022 at 22:15
you know I get this feeling too, that coming soon,

silence will be the new black.

our lives are so crowded with mental noise and audio noise.

silence is a treasure.
November 15, 2022 at 22:21
it´s the most disheartening thing ever to see buddhist monks walking around carrying smartphones... a man in robes walking around the latest iPhone.. it´s one of those "what´s wrong with this picture" drawings

Only supposed to have 3 items in their life: their robes, their alms bowl and a razor.. in modern times they live luxuriously.. total opposite of what Buddha preached in the sutras. That bothers me a lot more than regular people.. Way more - obviously

If you got no one to look up to for your spiritual practice, you have to find it in yourself these days..

sorry I strayed a little.. but.. just what is on my mind.. :64: :64:
November 15, 2022 at 22:24
sorry I strayed a little.. but.. just what is on my mind..

more eclipse house cleaning I think. everyone´s doing it. it´s taking such varied forms but all of it feels healthy.

such an odd eclipse.
November 15, 2022 at 22:27
(Virgo) rohini moon » IntoTheVoid
"Thanks for the welcome back. Nice to talk with you again :1:"

I like the kitty in your photo!! Did you just get her/him?
November 16, 2022 at 00:52
(Leo) Sunnyshadow
I agree. I was late to the party with smart phones, and specifically fb. Think I signed up for it around 31-32, and at first was pretty happy to see people I haven´t seen for years and be able to share pictures and post with people all around the world. But it didn´t take long to realize... it kind of sucked, to put it simply.

That didn´t stop me from staying on it for about 10 years. The whole while knowing it wasn´t good, but there were bits and pieces I still enjoyed. But I swear, I started noticing a change in my personality, and found myself on there way too much. Finally logged off for the last time October 2021 and haven´t looked back. Started feeling better almost immediately. There´s alot of negativity on there that may not be immediately apparent, but it´s there.

Funny how as soon as you quit going on there, you will be bombarded by ads trying to get you to go back. Never see the ads while your an active user. That´s creepy in itself.

Glad I haven´t went back despite the occasional temptation. Life feels better now. Probably be even more better if I didn´t have a phone at all. Still use it more than I should, I started watching YouTube more, but it seems alot better than the other media apps
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Aries Aries
Show calendar »