Music Taste in the Birth Chart

June 22, 2022 at 01:04 (UT/GMT)
(Aries) cierra
Music Taste in the Birth Chart
I´ve only recently started researching a bit about the correlations of music taste and astrology, but it´s quite difficult since it´s not a subject that´s brought up considering how niche astrology already is.

>>> So, just out of fun and curiosity: how would you describe your music taste, and what placements and/or aspects would you say is indicative of it? <<<

From what I´ve seen online while poking around, people tend to associate their Moon and Venus placements with their music taste. However, I would´ve naturally assumed it would be Mercury that had the most "influence."

Speaking from my own anecdotal experience, my Aries stellium (which also includes Moon and Venus retrograde coincidentally) is a sign of my natural inclination towards fast and heavy music. From the moment I was a conscious rock music has been my favourite genre. But, my chart ruler, Mercury, falls in Pisces, which I believe softens the brashness of Aries. I can´t get into super heavy metal like Black Metal or Death Metal despite trying to. Or, even if I like certain songs, they still aren´t something I naturally gravitate towards. I also can´t stand most pop-punk since it sounds very nasally and whiny. (I prefer deeper vocals.) My sweet spot is in more dream-pop, shoegaze, ethereal EDM stuff, where everything is so drowned in delay and reverb that it sounds more like a distant memory than a song. I also don´t pay attention to lyrics most of the time, but I do deeply appreciate short and poetic lyrics. I do also like some noise music when I´m feeling a bit eccentric.

Posts in topic

Page: 1 2
Sort posts:
June 22, 2022 at 02:34
(Gemini) FOWL
My Venus is in Gemini... so I like ALL KINDS Of music... but I have Uranus on my IC... so the weirder the better! Mercury in Cancer ruling my Sun and Venus definitely gives me a deep well of emotions from music... so I like it emotional as well.
June 22, 2022 at 03:25
(Aries) cierra » FOWL
Really cool! When you mean emotional, do you mean the content of the lyrics or the instrumentals itself? Usually when I think of emotional, I think of either "Emo music" or just slow/sad songs.

Also, with Uranus on the IC, how do you think that correlates with your music taste? I guess because the IC is the most intimate part of the chart and music tends to be an intimate experience. But how do you interpret it?

thanks for the reply :3
June 22, 2022 at 03:29
(Gemini) FOWL » cierra
Well... that I´m motivated towards that which is strange, eccentric, revolutionary... etc... at my core... I am a very different beast.
In terms of emotion.. you would think with Mercury it would be the lyrics... but it can be the music as well... an amazing solo can make me cry.... or... having a Moon ruled Mercury as the main water element in my chart... if I try to sing music that is deeply emotional to me... it´s when I try to get the words out I get overcome by it! It´s a great feeling!
June 22, 2022 at 03:36
(Aries) Wolfmoon
I don´t listen to music. If I have to I prefer classical.

I opened a thread about why this is. I figure maybe because venus in Taurus is intercepted.

Could also be the Mercury in Aries that enjoys the classical.
June 22, 2022 at 03:41
(Aries) cierra » FOWL
Ah Yes I understand now. Music tends to have an emotional affect on me as well, never to the point of outwardly showing it though. It´s more so like it transports me somewhere else.

Do you have any favorite songs that you´d recommend?
June 22, 2022 at 03:45
(Aries) cierra » Wolfmoon
Possibly. I´ve also read online that the 1st house/ASC, and the 5th house, can be indicative of music taste as well. For me, Capricorn rules my 5th house, and Saturn is in Taurus. I tend to almost hyperfocus on a particular band or album for a few months, replaying it until I´m sick of it. I figured that was the influence of the Taurus since it´s regarded as the most stubborn of all the signs.

I do find it a bit shocking you don´t listen to music though! How?
June 22, 2022 at 04:06
(Capricorn) sullenxx » cierra
I could see that! My first house/ASC is Scorpio- I like metal and rock, heavier sounding music. But on the other hand I love trance and dreamy-like music. my 5th house is technically Pisces, where my moon is - however I am a late degree Scorpio rising so my moon/pisces sits in my 4th house also.
June 22, 2022 at 04:24
(Aries) cierra » sullenxx
haha yeah, i feel like scorpio is often seen as the face of those dark emo, goth, alt subcultures.
June 22, 2022 at 07:09
(Scorpio) ComradePole
Regarding my music taste, I think my moon in Aquarius and my Venus in Scorpio have the biggest influence, my moon is in the 1H conjunct my Neptune, also in the 1H, I´m very sensitive and perceptive, so I usually listen to music that go in tune with that energy, for example classical music, I´ve also had piano lessons and have listened to it since I´m a child, I remember I used to be totally fixated with Chopin when I was around age 8 to 11, very dreamy, soft but still passionate, music definitely shaped my character growing up. And the Scorpio Venus has to do with the fact that when it comes to music with lyrics, I do love songs that touch subjects such as taboos, love, passion, extreme emotions. Overall, I lean towards instrumental music, folk, rock, classical.
June 22, 2022 at 13:16
(Aries) cierra » ComradePole
Yes your aquarius placements especially surprised me! You have a very interesting 1st house. Initially I would´ve thought Aquarius would be a lot more eccentric and "alien" like the stereotype is but I always forget Aquarius is ruled by Saturn so it would make sense for your taste to be unconventional yet still tied to the roots. (I mean, it´s not every day a 8-11 year old is listening to "sophisticated" music like Chopin and Bach and the such lol.) thanks for your input!
June 22, 2022 at 14:52
(Taurus) nutelina
:154: :94:
June 22, 2022 at 15:40
(Aries) lyrlc
my venus is in aquarius, my moon is in capricorn and my mercury(and chart ruler) is also in pisces, and i LOVE dreampop and shoegaze as well!! theyre my most played genres. i listen to most things, but my other favorite genres would probably be hip hop, indie, indie rock, folk, bossa nova and numetal
my favorite “unconventional” artist off the top of my head would be bjork… i love all of her albums, even the ones that some of her fanbase is known for not liking. id think thatd be the aqua venus . im pretty sure it’s my cap moon that loves slower and more mellow music, and the pisces for all of the dreamier music, though i could see how all of the placements could share inclinations. i dont know that much about aspects yet, but many of mine have to do with “liking art”
i love music, but its a bit hard for me to talk about it without going all into my favorite artists and just not being able to stop LOL i could mention so many names
June 22, 2022 at 15:58
(Virgo) LotusStar
I like all kinds.. mellow, dreamy sounding, but also some harder rock, kind of with a dark edge.

Mercury in the 12 house square Neptune, Piscses 5th, I absolutely love music and can´t live without... It helps me process my emotions in a way.
June 22, 2022 at 17:54
(Virgo) rohini moon
Music has always been an integral piece of my life. I always loved listening to music and also, playing and singing myself.

Rohini Moon + Chitra Venus = Intensity for creative endeavors such as music.

I´ve always been an eclectic kind of person when it comes to music, I´ve liked and listened to everything. Classic rock, Punk, Alternative, Pop, Classical - Never did the Rap/Country thing.

In the end I like music that makes me feel. I like truth in music, Someone´s raw emotions laid out bare for anyone to hear.
June 22, 2022 at 17:55
(Aries) cierra » lyrlc
haha yes, don´t worry about listing artists I´d love to hear some new stuff since out tastes seem to align a bit!
June 22, 2022 at 17:57
(Aries) cierra » LotusStar
Me too, music is more of an abstract artform that helps soothe me when nothing else can.
June 22, 2022 at 18:01
(Aries) cierra » rohini moon
Really cool, I resonate a lot with what you said. I can still find certain things to appreciate in music I don´t particularly like, such as the skill or certain melodies. Having an eclectic taste is the best!
June 22, 2022 at 18:02
(Gemini) FOWL » lyrlc
Got any love for Cocteau Twins? Liz just released a new EP after decades of near silence and it is one of the most bone-crushingly beautiful things I´ve ever heard. Considering Cocteau´s considered the progenitors of both Dream Pop AND Shoegaze... if you haven´t dug in yet, enjoy!
June 22, 2022 at 18:19
(Gemini) FOWL » cierra
I´ll give a short selection to give a sense of the range of what I like.
First up, Frank Zappa Inca Roads. If you can get past the goofy lyrics, when he gets to the guitar solo, it is one of the most majestic and deeply moving things I´ve ever heard. He´s asking the big questions with his guitar, are we alone? What is the meaning of life? Is there a God? At least that´s what I hear there.

https://youtu.be/ozOE6bN1VWg

Next we have my current obsession Cocteau Twins... just... nothing is more spiritual, or brings such cathartic release... I don´t know how to describe what they do for me... but I pretty much have them on loop all day every day for the past 2 years... it just makes life so much better. It sounds chill and relaxed at first... but there is a transmutation of intense pain and suffering into pure healing power. Cocteau Twins are the EMBODIMENT of Chiron. Listen in that context.
https://youtu.be/zmCx0pUzLKM

Rheostatics are a Toronto band that I was obsessed with in my twenties, I befriended the band eventually going to shows, and their music means SO much to me. Just in their own repetoire they encapsulate just about all styles of music and tones of performance, from the hilarious to the profound. Their live shows are always a joy to go to... a family affair. This song in particular always felt like it was ripped out of my own subconscious. When I heard it I thought... Oh.. everyone must dream of stealing cars... it must be archetypal, as a child I had recurring dreams of stealing a car, then realizing I didn´t know how to drive and crashing.... turns out just me and Dave Bidini! ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch/…

And... Miles Davis... more specifically really for this, Keith Jarrett. It´s a long jam, I time stamped it to give you a build in to Keith Jarrett´s solo here... it´s one of the darkest, most intense things I´ve ever heard. It´s life and death... angels and Demons... it´s SOOO Scorpionic... I can´t handle it. Actually. I can handle it... I want to live in it. When I was younger I made an edit where I kept looping certain phrases so I could just crawl up inside it with my feet frying in hell and my mind in the clouds with god!

https://youtu.be/ldBfrcC1xcI?t=848
YouTube
YouTube
June 22, 2022 at 19:13
(Aries) Wolfmoon » cierra
"Possibly. I´ve also read online that the 1st house/ASC, and the 5th house, can be indicative of music taste as well"

Aquarius Asc but zi do have BML and Chiron conjunxt in the 5th. A weird energy I haven´t yet deciphered.

"I do find it a bit shocking you don´t listen to music though! How?"

It does nothing for me. I know all MSM music is manufactured to affect thinking and programme the mind.

I´d rather be lost in thought than distracted by noise :4:
June 22, 2022 at 19:28
(Gemini) FOWL » Wolfmoon
My astro teacher is always saying God is in the silence... everything else is just noise... but then he chants to try and reach that silence.... it´s complicated!
I´ve known a few people like you who didn´t like music. When I was younger it blew my mind so much, I wanted to make a documentary about them.

But really... if you think about it... Astrology is just music on a VERY long time-frame.... dig that syncopation!
June 22, 2022 at 19:33
(Virgo) LotusStar » Wolfmoon
"I know all MSM music is manufactured to affect thinking and programme the mind."

You know I can´t disagree too much with that :)

But true music is a beautiful thing, not the manufactured crap

Like sometimes when I see people free styling on the street, or when people come together and jam, and it´s just done in an organic way.
June 22, 2022 at 19:42
(Aries) cierra » FOWL
Ahh thank you!! The Cocteau Twins specifically, I have heard of them before but only recently started to get into them and other old school goth bands. I like the correlation with Chiron since I have a whole deep connection with Chiron and find it extremally fascinating. That totally changed the way I looked at them now. Will definitely check out them and the other artists you´ve shared more later on when I get back from work hehe.
June 22, 2022 at 19:50
(Aries) cierra » Wolfmoon
Lol with MSM I can understand. There are very few popular mainstream artists I like myself, I always try to find more indie/bedroom artists when I can. (Bandcamp is really cool for this reason.) Still cant wrap my head around you not liking music in general though!

As for the BML-Chiron conjunction, I don´t work with BML often but I believe it is about untamed femininity. With Chiron, the conjunction seems malefic, so it could be something to do with being ashamed of that feminine side of you. But that´s most likely a stretch. Again, I don´t work with BML so disregard what I said if it doesn´t make sense lol
June 22, 2022 at 19:54
(Virgo) LotusStar » rohini moon
"In the end I like music that makes me feel."

This! :37:
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Leo Leo