Solar arc interpretation

May 11, 2022 at 18:59 (UT/GMT)
(Cancer) Pletho
Solar arc interpretation
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice of how to read solar arcs. I still have not understood how they work. So far an astrologist has explained to me that it is a good technique to identify the exact time of a future event. But I am not sure how to interpret the SA map.

Any advice?

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
May 11, 2022 at 19:35
(Leo) TJShemaly
Well, I´m by no means an expert in analyzing such chart, but I will say what I´ve encountered when I looked it up online several times.
1. Some astrologers think or like to use this technique WITH the secondary progression and think that it is not supposed to be used separately on its own.

2. Some astrologers are the opposite of the first, do use this technique separately and on its own.

3. Mostly, tight orb is used (2 or even 1 degree) and mostly squares, opposition and conjunctions are checked here. In the texts I´ve encountered, they didn´t mention anything about sextiles, trines, or any other aspects.

4. On Astro-Seek, the chart shows the SA houses overlapped with the natal houses. However, in my reading (so far) I didn´t find any text that says SA houses are considered when analyzing (like the solar return chart for example). But mostly it is about SA planets aspecting natal planets, and SA planets´ position with respect to natal houses.

This is what I know and read so far. On the other hand, my personal opinion is that such a technique might be a "long range" predictive tool somehow by nature. I mean, it´s not like solar return which is to inspect the year ahead but seems it is to inspect several years at once (since all planets are moved according to the arc of the sun and the arc is usually set to 1 degree = 1 solar year).

Hope this helps
May 12, 2022 at 08:48
(Scorpio) Graham
The Solar Arc Chart is best used to identify the timing of a future event ... created by the slow-moving planets (of Saurn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto).

This is because the slow movement results in them never getting far from theit natal degree location ... in a Progressed Chart. So, we use progressions for the fast-moving planets (Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars); Solar Arc for slow-moving planets (Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto) and might use both/either for Jupiter.

Solar Arc Charts move all natal planets by the distance moved by the natal chart´s Sun at the time for which the Solar Arc Chart is drawn. For example, if natal Sun is at (say) 2Capricorn00; natal Pluto is at (say) 10Leo00 and Progressed Sun is at (say) 5Capricorn00 ...Solar Arc Pluto will be at 13Leo00 (and Solar Arc Sun will be at 5Capricorn00 - because natal Sun has moved/progressed by 3 degrees).

IF (in the above example) SA Pluto at 13Leo00 is making an aspect to a planet/point in the natal chart ... this indicates a significant Pluto event/influence involving the natal planet AT THE TIME WHEN THE "SA PLUTO TO NATAL PLANET" ASPECT IS WITHIN A ONE-DEGREE-ORB OF EXACTITUDE.

So ... we then explore the progressions and/or transits to THAT NATAL PLANET in the natal chart, for the period during which the SA Pluto to Natal Planet is within-orb. And, theoretically, those progressions and transits will create a "Pluto-type" event - even if progressed/transit Pluto itself is not aspecting the natal planet.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Virgo Virgo
Show calendar »