Western versus Vedic Astrology

April 7, 2022 at 15:58 (UT/GMT)
(Cancer) 8danny8
Western versus Vedic Astrology
Hi friend!

I have been researching Western astrology for several years now. I believe there is a lot of truth in it and I have had positive reactions from the chart readings I have given both friends, family, and clients. Until creating an account on Astroseek, I knew very little about Vedic astrology.

I´m currently in the midst of a crisis. Which form of astro is more accurate?! I love Western astrology, it has assisted me in self improvement and understanding those around me. But I can´t discount Vedic astrology because I don´t know enough about it. Do you have arguments for Western or Vedic astrology? Please let me know in your response. Also, any video, book, or website recommendations for Vedic astrology would be much appreciated, as I want to have an informed opinion.

In Western astrology, I am a Cancer sun, Aries moon, Sagittarius rising, Leo mars, Leo mercury, Gemini venus and Taurus North Node.

In Vedic astrology, I am a Gemini sun (Punarvasu), Pisces moon, Scorpio rising, Cancer mars, Cancer mercury, Taurus venus and Aries North Node.

Blessings :36:

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
April 7, 2022 at 17:48
(Taurus) s81
Both work! Just measure. For example, identify a subject of study (specially not a person to avoid extra complexities) and check the relevant planets changing signs (and houses if the case applies), you´ll see exactly that: both work.

Depending on the subject certain planets affect more from tropical positions changing, others from sideral. But I´m affraid there is no astrologer out there studying this I guess. If I win the lottery I´ll do it, you bet! :1:

When analyzing charts for an event or thing (even a person) you´ll recognize very often the same trait expressed in two different ways in both charts.

The rest are opinions, everybody have their own depending on their experience, and personal commercial interests... which I understand, it´s very hard to convert astrology knowledge into money, specially when interpreting for people and personal affairs. There are also religious motivations to pick one system and not another (is the case of vedic over western), and things like that, so these are waters where the best bet is to respect everyone with extreme caution.
April 13, 2022 at 10:03
(Aries) luca.mahler
There is a IMO well researched German article about the history of both systems, especially about the problems arising from the Sidereal system and how this problem has arised.

Here is the Google translated version:
https://www-astro-com.translate.goog/…
April 13, 2022 at 11:12
(Scorpio) OS* » luca.mahler
this author’ opinion was so bias I could barely read through his article. oddly enough not once as he mentioned Nakshatras in his text.

to each his own. I see this kind of mentality often in tropical. . . on the other hand, most Jyotish students and astrologers (if not all) don’t waste their time bashing or criticizing the western systems, and I think that says a lot. . .
April 13, 2022 at 12:12
(Aries) luca.mahler » OS*
I just mentioned this article as it pertains to the question posed. But since you didn‘t argue rationally and didn’t contribute insightfully about the content of the article but instead just dismissed it entirely, I must presume you can not, in fact, argue otherwise.

To be clear, I don‘t want to contribute to any bashing or resort to discrediting any author, lineage or tradition. Still, I found the content of the article historically insightful and well researched.

Practically speaking, I lean towards the tropical system because the natal charts of my family members which I know well and many others don‘t really go along well with the Lahiri Zodiac when I juxtapose it with the tropical one. May be confirmation bias, but I don‘t think so currently.

And since there is a lot of different Sidereal divisions based on different originators, it‘s also a bit tricky to choose, since the rationale behind their degrees is not obvious to me. As for the tropical system, the rationale is quite straightforward and philosophically well derived (using the solistices and equinoxes as primary divisors).
April 13, 2022 at 12:19
I think you missed the point.

Im not going to argue with you.

Specially about such a bias opinion on Vedic astrology.
April 13, 2022 at 12:28
Exactly this is the point, that you are not arguing, which would be the point of this forum, especially when it comes to such a question (Tropical vs. Vedic aka. Sidereal).

If we‘re not arguing and exchanging ideas and, hopefully, both arrive at better conclusions, but just negating each other and prejudicially dismiss the other perspective, there is really no benefit from participating in the forum.
April 13, 2022 at 12:29
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user letafet, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
Hello.
I am not going to say anything about Vedic - because I haven´t practiced it at all, but the only thing I want to add is I certainly don´t relate to my sidereal chart. However this is a personal experience and you shouldn´t take it into account when evaluating vedic astrology. Just an addition I wanted to make.

As for tropical astrology, I am positive that it works both for observing transits and practicing horary astrology. So, as a divination method, I can say that tropical astrology has worked really well for me so far. I also relate to my tropical chart really well so I see no reason to practice sidereal astrology, personally. But eventually it´s up to you to use the system you want to use, and decide what works best for you. Good luck.
April 13, 2022 at 12:42
again you really don´t get it.

I believe both systems work. this is why Im not arguing with you. :1:

your article couldn´t be more bias and I´m beginning to think so are you. . .

Have a great day. :29:
April 13, 2022 at 13:11
OK, that‘s interesting. If both systems equally work, how do you reconcile the different birth chart interpretations?

Especially since the adjacent signs are almost always radically different from the sign under consideration (by their aversion, not seeing each other), how would you incorporate that? Honest question, I‘d like to hear from such an approach.

Or do you use the different systems for different areas of investigation altogether?
April 13, 2022 at 13:28
(Virgo) Aren Levi » luca.mahler
Universe has led me here to describe you the ultimate Jammm of astrology ... :92:

It does not matter if you are virgo Sun or leo Sun - in the end, both signs fall into same nakshatra thanks to their degrees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…

Nakshatras are reasons why there are for example 3 types of aries energy.
( Ahswini, Bharani, Kritika )

Nontheless there are different ways of reading those two systems.
Different techniques but in the end - They should give the same result Since it is THE SAME SKY we are analyzing.

I prefer vedic astrology. ( I really like D1-D9-D10 charts )

You are Welcome

:37:
April 14, 2022 at 00:33
(Virgo) astreo
The Vedic techniques are very good and developed.

You can use tropical with Vedic techniques, although it may not seem like it to many, there are many astrologers who do the same.

I identify myself more with the tropical than with the Vedic, I even use the nakshatras, but from the tropical.

I want to be an orthopedist, the use of my hands is something that really catches my attention.

In Tropical I have the Sun in Hasta, which represents the hands and is dedicated to service and medical care.

I have the Moon in Punarvasu, which is dedicated to the rehabilitation of people.

If I go to the Vedic nakshatras, they don´t fit like the tropical ones.
April 14, 2022 at 01:14
(Scorpio) OS*
hey danny,

last two answers are good advice. you can also check out KRS channel on youtube and I´d recommend this app called cosmic insights, there´s a few free features that could be worth looking into, Nakshatra analysis, transits (look for Gochara in options) birthchart interpretations etc.

vedic astrology has several ayanamsa systems, K.P. (Krishnamurti Paddhati) applies house cusps same as tropical. (placidus)

might be lots to discover here, I think you should follow the one you feel most ardent about. . . I hope the midst of a crisis was just a play on words. wishing you well on your astrology journey. :68:

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Virgo Virgo
Show calendar »