Vedic: Atmakaraka and Darakaraka in D9?

February 7, 2022 at 23:45 (UT/GMT)
(Cancer) Fran123
Vedic: Atmakaraka and Darakaraka in D9?
Hello! As someone who has just recently begun to look into vedic astrology I have some difficulties in figuring certain things out. So my atmakaraka (planet with highest degree in my chart) is Mercury which is in the 11th house in D1 but in the 12th in D9 and my darakaraka (planet with lowest degree) is in the 12th house in D1 but in the 5th in D9. So what exactly does it mean for me and how can houses that are so different from each other actually work like this together? How am I supposed to read them? I thank you in advance for your answers and hope you have a nice day!

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
February 8, 2022 at 00:08
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user Seanfhear, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
I´m no expert myself but typically Atmakaraka is considered with Amatyakaraka. Also, I would suggest understanding the overall meaning first (in the natal, D1) before leaping into D9.

This said, also make sure that when working with the two charts, D1 and D9, they are both in tropical or both in sidereal.

Now, reading D9 chart is a whole book on its own and I´m still trying to figure my way around it. One of the uses of D9 is to judge the power of the planet (e.g. a planet can be debilitated in natal but doing fine in D9 so this balances things out).

On the other hand, I think for D9, maybe Darakaraka is the main figure to investigate and connect with the rest of the chart (but I could be wrong of course) as Atma- and Amatyakaraka are probably the main figures for D10 chart.

The karakas play a major role in the techniques of Jaimini astrology.

For example, one technique I remember from the top of my head right now: Check your atmakaraka in D1, and conduct D10 chart and see where this atmakaraka is placed. The sign where atmakaraka is placed in D10 is taken then to be the lagna (ascendant or first house) of the D1 and the whole natal chart (D1) is read in that way to gain more insight about career or the general purpose of individual´s life.
February 8, 2022 at 23:50
(Cancer) Fran123 » Seanfhear
Ah, I see. Thank you for the information! I was always a little bit confused about what is actually the significance of the D9 because different sources tell different things (some say it deepens the characteristics of the D1, others say it´s a chart that activates later in life... etc.) and then I found out about the Amatyakaraka and Darakaraka and was wondering what it could mean for the D9 chart. Haha, it´s really a lot of material to study!
February 9, 2022 at 00:15
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » Fran123
System message: Post has been written by user Seanfhear, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
yeah it is a lot. Anyway, the idea of karakas is not new; I mean, Vedic or Hellenistic is all based on "karakas". The word just means "significator" or marker so to say. However, in Vedic, a sub-system or sub-school if you will, called Jaimini astrology, and in that school, karakas are the major players of the technique, specially with subdivisional charts. Each chart has a karaka or a significator; D1´s for example is the sun, D9´s is Venus, D10´s is Saturn. However, there are the personal karakas for each individual depending on the planets distribution in D1 chart. The whole system is supposed to be "additive"; meaning, each bit adds an understanding about the individual or about the question under discussion. Jaimini astrology also uses something called the Rashi aspect (Rashi = zodiac sign) and I think it puts more emphasis on that (some said that regular aspects are not used in divisional charts, but I have to check on that further). Rashi aspect or sign aspects goes like: planets in a cardinal sign affects those in stable signs except those adjacent to it. Planets in stable signs affect those in cardinal signs except those adjacent to it. Planets in mutable signs affect each other. Some say Jaimini is harder to study than the usual vedic, yet not sure why. I didn´t go deeper into these matters, yet.

Concerning D9, there are many views from Vedic astrologers, Indians or not. Some say the chart is activated after the age of 30-35 (or some time around Saturn´s return). Some say, the chart is activated only after marriage. Some say the chart is there and active since birth, and it is just a map to understand the relationships AND other fortunes of life. The last opinion seems more reasonable to me.
Vedic practitioners, as far as I know, check both, D1 and D9, side by side and seldom study a single chart without the other. For this reason, I also think that this chart is just active since birth and it is not "timed" to a specific age or event.

Side note: When a planet falls in the same sign in D1 and another divisional chart, it is called Vargottama (I think, might spelled this wrong). This planet is said to have a greater significance; Good or bad, that´s left to the rest of the chart.
February 13, 2022 at 20:08
Wow, your knowledge about is really admirable! I have studied tropical astrology before but felt like I know it quite well now and that´s why I was trying to approach the more complex one, but man, I´ve really underestimated the complexity of vedic astrology.
I agree with the idea that it is probably active since birth because as everyone basically has a D9 chart I don´t believe that it never activates for people that never marry or die young. But it´s probably also a matter of technique different astrologers work with. For the rest... One interesting theory I´d like to share is the one that says that the planetary positions in D1 are what we desire and the ones in D9 are what we get. Do you know anything about that and what do you think about this theory? Does it make any sense to you? I´d personally go with the "the D9 is an additional system for the D1"-theory but I´m open for every further interpretation of the charts.
February 13, 2022 at 23:33
=====
Well about that theory, the one I´ve heard from some astrologers is: D1 is about individual´s mold or cast, the things and capabilities that are born with the individual, and D9 reflects the desires or how things work out.

Also, I´ve encountered a theory about the differences between tropical and sidereal calculation for the chart, is that tropical could be what the person is, while sidereal is about what the person "should".

Many of the astrologers I follow do use Vedic techniques BUT using tropical calculations. Some people call it tropical astrology and sidereal astrology; The naming is confusing here because tropical or sidereal is just mathematical concept and has nothing to do with interpreting. There are some European astrologers who used Sidereal (with different correction or ayanamsa other than Lahiri´s) so it is not something "Indian" specifically. One of the sub-systems of the sidereal is called "Sassanian" supposedly after the Persians of old times, and even Indians have different sub-systems in sidereal but the most famous one is Lahiri. So when we speak of techniques and interpreting the chart, people should speak of "Vedic" or "Western" or "Hellenistic" (with Western usually reflects the modern concepts of astrology which typically incorporates lordships to :199: :159: :160: ). But some people use Western even for Hellenistic techniques.
February 14, 2022 at 16:24
Oh yes, I agree! I have heard about the one, which represents your on self (tropical) and the one that predicts the future (sidereal). I actually very much agree on the part of combining one technique with another calculation. I have the feeling that this gives the most accurate result although I might be wrong. But to me personally it just makes the most sense because the scientific method to calculate planetary movements etc. have developed a lot over the years. The universe doesn´t stand still so I believe the most accurate way of calculating is probably following the changes of certain aspects through the years.
February 14, 2022 at 16:30
=====
Yes but remember, astrology was and is a matter of metaphysics and philosophy.
The main point, as one astrologer put it, is about how we see the planets or how the planets see us that makes all the energy around the matter and life, thus, why correct for the positions since it is meant to be so?

On another level, even Indians who use sidereal calculations largely in their Vedic practices, the majority of them do not incorporate the 3 outer planets after Saturn, under the same claim (some of them even call them "space junk"); They say: If we can´t see it, then their energies don´t matter much to us (seeing as with being observable with the naked eye). This said, the majority of properties given to these 3 are spread over Rahu and Ketu in some way. Also, Rahu and Ketu seem more "sensible" because they are generally faster than Uranus and beyond which are majorly generational planets and remain in one sign for many many years, unlike the nodes.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Libra Libra
Show calendar »