What is the added value of astrology?

November 23, 2021 at 21:42 (UT/GMT)
(Scorpio) Vilderone
What is the added value of astrology?
The downside of astrology is that it makes it appear that everything has already been determined in the future. Look at the movements of the planets. This while our minds constantly reshape the future. In addition, our character can change due to, for example, major external events. Then I ask myself: What is the added value of astrology? Can someone explain that to me?

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
November 24, 2021 at 17:24
(Leo) Seanfhear
This is a wrong understanding for astrology, and probably the antique view of it.
It is better to viewed in terms of energies of celestial bodies and somewhat "what to expect" rather than "what WILL be". I´m totally against predictions.
On the other hand, I like focusing on the personal traits and tendencies (as it shows the challenges one is born with and possible ways to enhance these). As many astrologers I follow say: The natal chart is not a stamp on the forehead. You can change your life. It just shows what you are born with (or without) and maybe give you insight on where to go (e.g. when reading for possible career path).
November 24, 2021 at 22:02
(Pisces) 1janos
In my humble opinion if you believe, that planets are influencing - by emitting some magic rays -, you, me and everyone else on the planet from distances of several hundred million and in the case of Pluto well over five billion kilometres away, there are two possibilities.

1. You misunderstand what astrology is about. That can be corrected by studying the topic in depth.

2. You can be diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic. That condition requires antipsychotics and your life is almost but ruined, by severe psychopathology.

Astrology is NOT based on cause and effect. Those concepts are valid in simple physics like mechanics.

Life is just a bit more complicated than that. I am sure you know that by now.

Astrology is not prescriptive; it is descriptive. It is based on the application of reasonably simple maths to a highly complex system of symbology.

Nowadays with the available computing power - and good people like Petr who know how to use it -, it is possible to do these reasonably simple but labour intensive calculations with remarkable accuracy in seconds, by just about anyone with access to this site among others.

Whoever studies this worthy subject, must sooner or later move beyond Cartesian philosophy and Newtonian science. The 1650s and the early 1700s are well and truly in the past.

Astrological symbols represented by various planets, the Angles (Ascendant and Midheaven), various mathematical points in natal charts, their angular relationships based of geometry and their so called movements (transits, progressions) in time (as it goes by), appear to coincide with certain personal qualities, life events etc. All this information can be used to describe people´s character, personal qualities and unfolding of life events - by a skilful interpreter -, with access to reference texts and detailed research of same.

These coincidences were referred to as synchronicities by C G Jung the Swiss psychiatrist, who summarized his findings at the end of his life on the topic in the book: ´Synchronicity, the Acausal Connecting Principle´. Acausal or without cause. Please read the book for further in depth clarification.

The thorough understanding of an astrological chart and therefore a person´s life is a very arduous undertaking. That effort can yield remarkably accurate and descriptive results, but for me - for example -, it takes about 100 hours of concentrated work.

The information, that can be gained from an astrological chart gives us the idea of the potential of the native - the person whose chart it is.

How much of that potential the person in question will realize, is not possible to predict precisely.

It is most definitely possible to predict the increased likelihood for tendencies to occur. If you were willing to take into consideration information, that can be gained with the use of Cosmobiology, it is possible to get results far more accurate than the sentimental, imprecise, vague, wishful onania a lot of people partake in.
November 25, 2021 at 07:06
(Scorpio) Vilderone » Seanfhear
Thank you for your explanation. Indeed, I think it should be more descriptive than predictive.
November 25, 2021 at 07:13
(Scorpio) Vilderone » 1janos
Your final paragraph intrigues me:
"It is most definitely possible to predict the increased likelihood for tendencies to occur. If you were willing to take into consideration information, that can be gained with the use of Cosmobiology, it is possible to get results far more accurate than the sentimental, imprecise, vague, wishful onania a lot of people partake in."
What do you mean by Cosmobiology?
November 25, 2021 at 08:29
(Aquarius) Tightrope-dancer » Seanfhear
²
November 25, 2021 at 12:23
(Pisces) 1janos » Vilderone
Glad to hear, that the rest of what I wrote makes sense to you. Many on this forum and others believe otherwise.

Cosmobiology is an approach, that grew out of a long term - 15-20 year - research project by a group of German and Swiss Astrologers, Psychologist, statisticians and doctors thoroughly examining many thousands of people and their charts. All this enormous amount of work was summarised by Dr Reinhold Ebertin in a book awkwardly called: The Combination of Stellar Influences, or COSI for short, as it is often referred to. He and his son updated and revised this book, the last time to the best of my knowledge in 1972.

I refer to the title being awkward, because due to the concept of Synchronicity not being known at the time of first publication, they remained with the concept of ´influences´.

The information contained in COSI is based on the observation, that midpoints or half sums are as important - if not more -, than traditional sign, house and aspect based interpretations. Nowadays I combine using both methods to mostly satisfying results.

Midpoints are identified, as mathematical points exactly half way between factors in the chart and 45 degrees from that point again and again. Simply put the 8th harmonic.
November 25, 2021 at 16:16
(Taurus) Rosincvist
I spent several years listening to Farley Malorrus´ Astrology Hour on KFOX radio and there was an attempt at damage control because of the uninitiated with weaker values possibly using Astrology for evil purposes! So the lack of a formal hierarchy handing down heavy rules, Farley was kept from becoming a Studio Mogul!
Western Values = $$$
November 27, 2021 at 22:50
(Scorpio) Vilderone » 1janos
Hello 1Janos, you said: "-that midpoints or half sums are as important - if not more -, than traditional sign, house and aspect based interpretations." Can you explain this to me? Is astrology all based on mathemetics in stead of planetary movements in this fysical reality?
November 28, 2021 at 03:35
(Pisces) 1janos » Vilderone
I am surprised at your question.

In my first message to you, I clarified in detail, what astrology is based on. In your response you indicated having understood what I wrote. I can´t put it more clearly. So, please read that again, if you want to.

I am happy to discuss more, in depth, if you want after that.

If you believe, that astrological factors have direct effect on your chart, that you look at on your computer screen, and somehow that affects your life I can´t help you in any way. That is a very common delusion, called magical thinking, based on ignorance.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2021
Moon calendar
New Moon in Sagittarius Sagittarius
Show calendar »