Day or Night Chart When Sun Near Horizon

November 15, 2021 at 02:09 (UT/GMT)
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology
Day or Night Chart When Sun Near Horizon
In traditional astrology, determining whether you have a day chart or night chart is EXTREMELE important. For one thing, it will alter the character of certain planets. For example, Jupiter is better in a day chart than in a night chart; Venus is better in a night chart than a day chart.

However, perhaps even more important, the calculation of the Lots will change depending on whether the chart is diurnal or nocturnal. As you may know, in a day chart, we measure in zodiacal order (meaning counter clockwise), the distance between the sun and moon, and take that distance and add it to the Ascendant to find the placement of the lot of fortune. However in a night chart we measure the distance (going again in counterclockwise direction) between the Moon and Sun, and then add that distance to the ascendant. The same goes for all of the major lots, be it the lot of spirit, the lot of marriage, the lot of father, etc.

Now it is usually very simple to determine whether you have a night chart of a day chart. If the sun is below the horizon, that is below the ascendant or descendant, it is a night chart. Likewise, if the sun is ABOVE the horizon, it is a day chart.

However, we sometimes run into problems when the sun is either directly on the ascendant or descendant or even if it is a few degrees above or below the horizon. For example say you Ascendant is at 15 degrees Taurus and the Sun is at 16 degrees Taurus. Now in that case, we might jump to the conclusion that this is a night chart because technically it is below the horizon. However, this might lead us down the wrong path. What we want to know is, did it look more like day or night at your time of birth?

There are a few ways we might go about informing ourselves of this. We could ask a bunch of questions about various planets and come to a conclusion that way. However, there is an easier way to do this. There is an astronomical tool called Stellarium (http://stellarium.org) that you can use to recreate the environment at your time of birth. You will need to plugin your birth date, time and location and it will do so. You might find that it looks more like day or like night. For example, I was born at 6:03 AM and my sun was a couple of degrees below the ascendant and I thought I had a night chart. However, when I looked at Stellarium, it was definitely daylight. This had an important and increased the accuracy when delineating my own chart.

In conclusion, you can almost always determine your chart by seeing if the sun is above or below the horizon, however, if it is within a few degreegs of the ascendant or descendant, you might want to take advantage of the Stellarium software.

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
November 15, 2021 at 18:15
(Taurus) nutelina
Are you secretly talking about vampires? :20:

I loved the geometry lesson, from dawn to dusk eh? :46:

Really, thanks for explaining that in just relatively few words.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Virgo Virgo
Show calendar »