Chinese zodiac?

September 23, 2021 at 06:47 (UT/GMT)
(Pisces) Fifteen_Dagrees
Chinese zodiac?
Is there anyone interested in the Chinese zodiac? I need references for research

Posts in topic

Page: 1 2
Sort posts:
September 23, 2021 at 09:04
(Leo) Seanfhear
references?
Well, the internet is full of articles about the Chinese zodiac (and Bazi).

Interestingly, this zodiac is not dependent on astrology (i.e. stars and planets or anything in the sky really). It is just based on mythology and the concept of elements of nature.
September 25, 2021 at 12:51
(Aquarius) hangedman
I think it´s not zodiac at all. It is a kind of traditional calendar as a time measurement system. You can find basics on yourchineseastrology.com and chinahighlights.com . They are not the best options but more explaining detailed than other western astrology sites that only mentions "Chinese Zodiac".
September 29, 2021 at 04:53
(Leo) Anni23
Yes I want to learn more about it too. There doesn´t seem to be a lot of information in english however.

But from what I have gathered so far the essential basis is the fpur pillars. The day and thr hour pillar are the most important pillars.
Each pillar represents a area/>stage of your life
September 29, 2021 at 11:06
(Aquarius) WaysOfLeavin' » Anni23
Oh, okay? I think my day pillar was Sheep (Monday) and hour pillar Rat. Do you happen to know what that might mean ? I read somewhere recently that the hour pillar signifies one´s family, family members or something ? ... Not sure of it´s correct or how to interpret it really.

But yes, I´m also interested in Chinese astrology:) Agree that sources online are scarce (or there exist several, but not too detailed information). Would be nice to get to know people who are a bit experienced with this, or make an association or sth.

I´m a Metal Horse, either Snake or Dragon ASC (born 09:03). Month of the Tiger (February).
September 30, 2021 at 16:30
(Cancer) Geodyk
I have been researching all esoteric systems including Chinese and actually have software for producing 4 Pillars (Ba zi) reports if anyone would like me to produce one for them. (You can get an overview, as per my example, at https://psychicscience.org/pillars)
The year sign is akin to the sun sign but with the elements added the cycle is 60 years rather than 12.
There are a couple of people who have integrated western (occidental) and eastern (oriental) zodiacs to help foster interest in the subject and line their own pockets of course.
October 1, 2021 at 04:39
(Leo) Anni23 » WaysOfLeavin'
Ooh I like sheeps

Oh so you dont know your hour sign?
Wait you said it was the rat?..

I´m pretty sure that I have read on more than one website that the day and hour pillar is meant to symbolise the inner self

However you need to equally look at the elements. Rhey are quite important
I suppose that the way this all combines is similar to the western zodiac. Just the interpretations are less direct or readily available
October 1, 2021 at 04:44
(Leo) Anni23 » Geodyk
I have tried this website. But actually its inaccurate in that it messes up the day pillar, which most other websites do not do

Also I may have seen two websites, though not most, that mix up the hour sign instead

In any case if you have any information tbat you have gathered from your research I would like to hear it, and perhaps hear your interpretation of my pillars + elements
October 1, 2021 at 04:48
(Cancer) Geodyk » Anni23
I can send you the 4 pillars report from my imperial astrologer software if you provide me sun your birth details and an email address.
October 1, 2021 at 04:48
The website above provided above by geodyk does offer a good explanation of the pillars which is consistent with what I have read elsewhere
Though somehow the calculator does not operate like on most other sites

The Year Pillar

The Year Pillar represents the characteristics that you may expect to share with the cohort of people who are born in the same year. This pillar comprises the elemental energy of the year´s Heavenly Stem and the typical manifestation of its Earthly Branch (the year´s Zodiac Sign).

The Month Pillar

The month pillar represents your archetypal inner qualities, especially as these express a deeper, wiser or older self. It may also indicate characteristics that become more apparent in your later years.

The Day Pillar

The Day Pillar is generally the most significant. It indicates your everyday personality - the socialized version of yourself that you normally express and that other people experience and respond to. It may also suggest characteristics that become clearer in your adult years, or when you are at your prime.

The Hour Pillar

The Hour Pillar represents your natural, spontaneous, untutored self. Perhaps you usually keep this self private, holding back from expressing its qualities because they might appear childish or otherwise unacceptable. When under stress, or at times of crisis, you may find that your natural self tends to burst out uncomfortably. Alternatively, when you are fully relaxed, or in the company of children, it may express itself through play or creative activity.
October 1, 2021 at 04:50
(Leo) Anni23 » Geodyk
Sure, I´ll email you here if thats ok

But my birth details are provided here

Thanks
October 1, 2021 at 10:22
I was mistaken; my extended minute pillar is Rat. From what I read the minute pillar is something they are using in ´new´ Chinese Astrology. I think this one was supposed to be related to your family and relatives. Only, I´m not sure how to interpret that... I will act like Rat towards my relatives, Rat sign there can tell me about the size and quality of my family life..? .....

I checked different calculators and got different signs hmm. Seems I am really Snake hour though, likely Snake day as well. I just thought one site gave me Goat as I was born on a Monday? But one calculator gave me year as Sheep instead of Goat which is wrong (since I´m born in the beginning of ´91). Also one other gave me the wrong month animal. So, now I´m starting to question, which ones are correct :63:

Ascendant should be Snake according to most websites, as I am born after 9 am but before 11. Although, one website (https://my.astrofame.com/astrology/…) states that *if you are born during winter you should take one hour off*. In that case, my Asc would read as Dragon instead. Hmmm. Anyone who can comment ? What about location of birth, does it matter also ? (I saw one calculator where it was possible to enter longitude)

I saw one such Ba Zi calculator wrote a lot about the elements, yes (but again - I´m not sure if the animals were calculated correctly; not sure about the elements now either).

ETA: I read now on wikihow.com that hour = spouse element, day = mother element, year = father element. Whatever it means
https://www.wikihow.com/Read-Your-C…
October 1, 2021 at 10:36
Thank you. I´m not that experienced with Chinese astrology so I would have to dive into it deeper in order to be able to comment on its (perceived) accuracy. (Need to also ascertain my day pillar first.) This site corresponds the four pillars to specific ages: https://www.yourchineseastrology.com/…

"Year Pillar governs one’s fortune from the age of 1 to 16;
Month Pillar governs one’s fortune from the age of 17 to 32;
Day Pillar governs one’s fortune from the age of 33 to 48;
Hour Pillar governs one’s fortune from the age of 49 to late year.

Each pillar governs for 16 years. To be specific, the heavenly stem of year pillar governs age 1 to 8 and the earthly branch of year pillar governs age 9 to 16; the heavenly stem of month pillar governs age 17 to 24 and the earthly branch of month pillar governs age 25 to 32; the heavenly stem of day pillar governs age 33 to 40 and the earthly branch of day pillar governs age 41 to 48; the heavenly stem of hour pillar governs age 49 to 56 and the earthly branch of hour pillar governs age 57 to 64."
October 1, 2021 at 10:41
(Aquarius) WaysOfLeavin' » Geodyk
Thank you..! If you believe that your software is accurate I would appreciate it a lot if you could enter my data there (as I am getting a bit different results on different online calculators).

Oh, yes. I have read some interpretations combining the tropical Sun Sign and the Chinese year sign. I think I´m a Unicorn (Aqua + Horse) :3: Anyhow, it makes sense to read them together (or how I see it, at least, both of the practices offer valuable information).
October 1, 2021 at 12:49
Wow yeah I haven´t even heard about the minute pillar. Tbh probably 90% of people don´t know the minute they were born. Maybe most people get their birth time right by about 5-15 minutes either side.

So... I would look to other factors

I would recommend checking out this website.
http://www.mysticscripts.com/astrol…

It´s not one of the ones which seem to be off in their calculations

I would also recommend to look up each of your elements separately and the element-animal combination
Eg. Earth rabbit

Although the information is somewhat varied and superficial

But yes your hour sign should be a snake according to most websites if it was between 9-11 i believe..
October 1, 2021 at 19:23
(Cancer) Geodyk » Anni23
It´s fine to message me here.
I´ve since realised that the software is on an old laptop that I won´t be able to access until next week so there will be a delay in getting back to you.
The two astrologers that combine the western and eastern signs are Suzanne White through her ´New Astrology´ for which I have the report writer and she does refer to the Chinese elements - I´m a Cancer Earth Dog - whilst Simon Poindexter of Primal Astrology ignores the elements but identifies the combination of signs by giving it an animal name - I´m a pitbull.
October 1, 2021 at 19:27
(Cancer) Geodyk » WaysOfLeavin'
I will message you when I have access to my software so I can produce a report for your evaluation.
As regards the differing Chinese animal names this has resulted from the translation into English - the rabbit is also known as the cat, the goat as the ram or the sheep being the two examples that immediately spring to mind.
October 4, 2021 at 11:57
(Leo) Anni23 » Geodyk
Thanks, that´s interesting

A pitbull haha

Though also everything I´ve read so far seems to point towards tge day and hour pillars as being more important

As I mentioned above there seems to be some discrepancies with the hour sign on some websites which I am slightly unsure about

I look foward to your message informing me of more
October 4, 2021 at 20:56
Well mine at least should be correct, or numbers that are not rounded up/down (not saying those that are are not valid obviously)..? But true, often the TOB probably is not accurate, so not useful for a large number of people. Also I don´t care about the years after retirement :37: (at least idgaf right now)

Strange, the link did not work ? Only get some numerology calculator... I searched a bit around but was not able to find BaZi calculator there. (Maybe I´m just too sleepy......)

"But yes your hour sign should be a snake according to most websites if it was between 9-11 i believe"
Yes, it´s only that site that mentions withdraw one hour if born during Winter hmmm

In regards to importance the day sign seems to be of about 70%. Then follows hour, then year, then month(?). But ofc - depend what your definition if ´important´ is
October 5, 2021 at 12:18
Oh right, yeah sorry I wasn´t saying to consider yourself one of those people necessarily who´s birthtime is off by even 15 mins. My point was just to day that the percentage of people who definitely know the minute is probably pretty low.

Well I guess we tend to regard our own inner ideas about ourselves as more important. But our life trajectory is made up of different components
Oh would you say that the day sign is more important than the hour? :25: I didn´t quite pick that up necessarily but it could be the case

In any case I´m sure it´s all a combined effect, a bit like numerology

Ohh sorry I think that I gave you the wrong website

https://www.starwhispers.com/horosc…

It also shows the "hidden dominating element" which apparently is "relatively" important also but I don´t know how much..
October 5, 2021 at 13:06
Actually this is also surprisingly informative

Though it seems to emphasise the day and month:
"The month is your private inner self and the day is how you interact in close proximity. These two are how you interact in private."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/…

Ahh.. but I guess all pillars are important, though the year seems less so

This also has some extra information
https://www.yourchineseastrology.com/…
October 5, 2021 at 14:28
Oh, I did not take it like that. I got it. And agree with you, in that often they are probably wrong. I see too many :00, 15, 30 (...) I think. (And even if the TOB should be correct the minute pillar seem not that important or interesting for me - not enough to bother with it at this point at least.) I wonder a lot about my own chart and am eager to get the signs correct, including the hour and minute own - as I feel understanding of others starts with understanding of self.

Thank you for the link you provided. There I get Ox as month, instead of Tiger.

But hey..! I thiiink I have maybe found an answer to our problem:)) Try this calculator here: https://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/…

If I use that calculator, typing in time zone at time/place of birth, as well as the longitude, suddenly I have a very different chart ! Year is still Horse and Month Ox. Day pillar gives me Snake, as the majority of the online calculators did... but hour is now Dragon, and minute pillar Dog !! Probably, it is the most accurate calculator as it takes into account time zone and location. Now unfortunately my water is even lower though lol, down to 6. Earth too high at 202. Whatever those mean... Otherwise elements are mostly okay I think. Seems Water is my lucky element then? ...
October 6, 2021 at 13:07
I know what you mean, some sites seem to have discrepancies which I assume is in fault

The month cannot be misinterpreted in fact anyway

Yes that calculator appears to be correct
I think that you are a ox.. as I checked
I usually like oxes! They have some good characteristics

What is really interesting and a bit confusing however is how different sites seem to put a somewhat higher emphasis on some pillars over others

Btw I forgot to say that we have the same day pillar at least, and water is my lucky element too! water is low for me too though and metal is too high for me... :23:
Oh I should say that I do not equate chinese elements directly to western, as with western I do have enough water. The meanings are not completely analogous

My observation is however that almost nobody has completely balanced elements

Ps. Have you done your numerology yet? I find that even more accurate
October 10, 2021 at 15:09
Well somewhere I read month is Tiger... like when I look at tables online, February is Tiger. But seems there are really dates for that (that might even change depending on the year ?). I think that calculator I linked to in my last reply should be correct though, I mean if you enter correct longitude (this you can for example find on Astrodienst websit) and timezone. So my month pillar should be Ox as you said.

I suppose the hour pillar corresponds to the ASC, as they both seem to use the double-hour concept. Here you can find interpretations of year pillar + ASC pillar: https://www.tsemrinpoche.com//…

Cool that we are both month pillar Ox. I haven´t really looked up the month pillar of people, so can´t comment... just that I maybe get along better with people born in the year of the Ox than what people born in the year of the Horse is supposed to..? But then I read somewhere that you should match pillar to pillar - so e.g. day pillar should be compatible with other person´s day pillar.

I don´t know much about the Chinese elements... but yes seems different than in Western astrology... What would you say (very) low water means ?

Regarding numerology I´m a lifepath 8, birthday number 4. Name number (destiny no.) 6, soul urge (heart´s desire) 4, personality number 11. I have mostly only looked into lifepath and birthday numbers... What are yours?
October 11, 2021 at 04:46
Actually my month (July) is a goat month. But I like what I have read about oxes and as I said they are meant to get along with roosters, snakes and dragons!

In a way the month kind of sounds more like the ascendant as it describes our outer social self..?

I really think though that when looking at someones pillars for compatibility we would have to look at the holistic effect of a persons combined animals/traits, unless there is like a completely different approach to communicating or their approach to life.
(I would even compare to numerology when doing this)
So even if one pillar belonging to a person seems incompatible that may not matter, especially taking into consideration the element/all the elements.

As for our elements, firstly some of the characteristics that we use in western astrology (for example water) seem to have some different characteristics with the chinese elements.
Also I would say that with the western zodiac we both seem to have enough water. And with your ascendant this would appear prominent.

Linking this back to numerology as well I would say that you seem like you are a sensitive person who is caring about other people. As your numbers reflect this as well- 6 and 11/2
I also have a 6 :1: (hearts desire) and 9 (destiny) and 3 (personality).
Most sites say that lifepath and destiny are the most important, though others also consider the personality no (or sun no) as very influential
For sure there will always be some level of dissonance but also reoccurring patterns that link all numbers together
October 11, 2021 at 04:49
As we both have the day pillar of the wood snake I would also be interested in hearing your thoughts on it and what you do and and don´t relate to in terms of characteristics? Here maybe we will see where other pillars may exert a influence which dissolves some "snake characteristics"
The two things I don´t relate much to are how snakes are said to be suspicious and superficial

Though as you also have your moon in libra you may be quite attuned to art etc.? But I think that people may mistake our interest for materialism

As for the element any thoughts?

Interestingly I am not entirely sure if I relate strongly to the element of metal and metal snake characteristics for my hour pillar.. :63:
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2021
Moon calendar
Moon in Gemini Gemini
Show calendar »