Pitru Paksha/Updated

September 22, 2021 at 19:35 (UT/GMT)
(Virgo) rohini moon
Pitru Paksha/Updated
Just incase anyone may be interested.

------

Pitru Paksha (fortnight of the ancestors) is a 16–lunar day period in the Hindu calendar when people honor their ancestors.

According to Hinduism, the souls of three preceding generations of one’s ancestor reside in Pitru–loka, a realm between heaven and earth. It is said that when we honor and remember our ancestors during this time, they bestow health, wealth, knowledge and longevity, and ultimately heaven and salvation (moksha).

This is the time to repay our debts to our ancestors and it is one of the most important debts we have to repay in this lifetime. It is believed that it is during this 16 day period our ancestors come down to earth to bless us.

Dates: Pitru Paksha begins on 21st of September and ends 6th of October.

The last day of Pitru Paksha is known as Sarvapitri Amavasya or Mahalaya Amavasya which is the grand finale and the most significant day of Pitru Paksha.

Do’s and Don´ts during Pitru Paksha:

Honor and remember your ancestors every day. Thank them, feel grateful for them and ask them to help you through any challenges or obstacles you are facing in life.

Avoid emotions of aggression, vengeance, violence and anger during this period, so you can wholly focus on remembering your ancestors with utmost faith and sincerity.

Donate to those less fortunate than you which is one of the most beneficial deeds that can make your ancestors happy.

Meditate and follow your spiritual practices

Avoid non-Vegetarian food and maintain a light sattvic vegetarian-based diet (a sattvic diet includes foods that are light and healthy).

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
September 22, 2021 at 20:00
(Sagittarius) goldenlion32
Thank you for sharing. I always try to remember my ancestors. :1: It´s important, especially if when we´re trying break the chains of past generations, and by healing ourselves, the earth, and future generations, we heal them, because they didn´t really have the tools, methods, or opportunities we do in the present.
September 22, 2021 at 20:04
(Virgo) rohini moon » goldenlion32
:15: Goldie. I practice ancestor veneration for quite some years now...

but, I figured in sharing this, it may too benefit someone who needs it. Especially with the current state of the world. Everyone might want to think about asking your ancestors for help.
September 22, 2021 at 20:05
(Aries) ram_goat » rohini moon
Yes what a beautiful tradition.
September 22, 2021 at 22:35
(Virgo) rohini moon » ram_goat
it is. when it´s one of my relatives birthdays who is passed on, I will make the food more special than what it is daily.

If I have a dream where I am giving my relative a food or drink item that I haven´t yet in real life, I take this as a hint to go and offer that next. It´s pretty amazing
September 22, 2021 at 22:35
(Virgo) LotusStar
Interesting :) thanks for sharing
September 22, 2021 at 22:54
It is probably a difficult exercise for those who have abusive pasts or relatives that abused them, but then maybe that is also part of the wisdom of the practice. To broaden our thinking, learn to forgive, come to see our situation from a higher perspective that is less encumbered by individual ego, less subjective.
People do evil deeds, but evil is also something that flows through them and is above them, beyond them, and impersonal to them. Seeing their deeds as more of their own personal response to these larger currents flowing through them, than seeing the person as their deed, or the deed as the person. A more abstract level of learning compassion and understanding others and something about the "self" that each person possesses as their own (for a while, at least..)
September 22, 2021 at 23:08
I imagine that would be. I never thought of it in that sense, some of the relatives that I offer to, I have never even met.

In Buddhist tradition, you offer to your forefathers first and foremost. They look at that as being the highest, then maternal comes later.

When I first started learning more and more about it though reading how the Chinese look at ancestor veneration, it all made perfect sense to me. In the west, people don´t put much stock into it. But, I can tell you, it does something. We are here, because of them.... through a long line of people. And part of the reason the Chinese have always done it, I highly agree with. It´s not just to benefit us, on earth. It´s a way of giving back to them, to thank them for our life. Now that they aren´t here anymore.

Since I started it, I have gotten so many photos of my great grand parents that I never never seen or met before. My relatives who are living, conveniently happen to relay these things to me.. this never happened before I started doing this. None of them are even aware I do this daily.

The ancients believe that our ancestors also have the means to bestow us with luck, as much as they can, from where they are, or they can also make your life very difficult if they aren´t happy with you. That´s why they believe it important to "give back". Again, these are their beliefs, and I personally very much see the merit and truth in this. In my experience. ;)
September 22, 2021 at 23:10
I imagine that would be. I never thought of it in that sense,

well what I am throwing out there is a tall order on its best day.

life & people´s mind and emotions are not nearly so simple as that.
It´s high concept stuff.

but just as we are not all virtuous in life, it stands to reason that
not all of our ancestors were virtuous in their own lives.

it´s just a fine point, for reflection. I am sure it hits home harder
with people who were abused. the past is more complicated for them.

eastern religions don´t have a strong concept of "sin" like the western
religions do, yet "sinful" behavior still happens wherever there are humans.

and "sin" or "non-virtuous" behavior complicates things for people in this
life. it´s not always something so easy for individual egos to transcend.

maybe the akward position this ritual places you in vis-a-vis the non-virtuous ancestors, also gives an opportunity to think about evil and human frailty in new ways.

the peace that comes from forgiveness and healing certainly can be of benefit for the living.

Though I could see this being a painful exercise for some. A hard way to arrive at these things. But then are there any easy ways to arrive at peace and forgiveness?

Conceptually I am blending in a little bit of old Christian "pray for your enemies". Easy words to say, hard words to live. But for thougthful people and even people with a certain family background, this season might be a hard one in some ways. Demanding growth in ways that are difficult to sort through.

But then this only makes the concept behind the ritual more perfect, but perhaps too spiritual for some, right away.

A extreme conceptual example: What prayers would Hitler´s children offer?

what is the role of the "non-good" in our own past, our own evolution?

Many of my own ancestors were sum-bitches and horse thieves, and yet they got me to the present moment in their own ways as much as the ancestors I would actually like to remember.
September 23, 2021 at 01:39
"Conceptually I am blending in a little bit of old Christian "pray for your enemies". Easy words to say, hard words to live."

I understand this concept, in theory, I agree. But, so very difficult to execute. There is only one person in my life who I honestly don´t think, if they passed, I´d be able to give them offerings. I´m still holding onto them righting their wrongs before they kick the bucket. Intuition tells me, this is a pipe dream.

On that note... here´s a verse spoken by Budda:

Mother and father as the east,
Teachers as the south,
Spouse and family as the west,
Friends and colleagues as the north,
Servants and workers below,
Brahmans and ascetics above;
These directions a person should honor
In order to be truly good.

Wise and virtuous,
Gentle and eloquent,
Humble and accommodating;
Such a person attains glory.

Energetic, not lazy,
Not shaken in misfortune,
Flawless in conduct, and intelligent;

A compassionate maker of friends,
Approachable, free from stinginess,
A leader, a teacher, and diplomat;

Generosity and kind words,
Conduct for others´ welfare,
Impartiality in all things;
These are suitable everywhere.

These kind dispositions hold the world together,
Like the linchpin of a moving chariot.
And should these kind dispositions not exist,
Then the mother would not receive
Respect or honor from her child,
Neither would a father.

Upon these things
The wise reflect;
They obtain greatness
And are sources of praise.
September 23, 2021 at 02:10
(Capricorn) Datta108
Namaste thank you for kindly mentioning the Mahalaya Paksha,the fortnight dedicated to our departed which culminates on Oct 6th this year on the amavaysa, the Dark moon day. Give charity and
Feed as many as you can during this time period ,when I asked my spiritual mentor from India what the best charity was,he always said "Food, food is the best to give".

In the vedic tradition the story goes a great devotee upon leaving his body went to the heavenly planets where all the charity he gave was returned one hundred fold ,but it was all Gold and Silver wealth but no food as he didn´t give any food in charity while on Earth!!!
So he prayed to Yama,the Lord of Death to return to earth to make up this deficiency so for 14 days he fed Holy men and the poor and offered oblations of water and on return to the higher regions he had food in plenty.
Due to the Grace of Lord Yama,it has been ordained that offerings made during this period benefit all departed souls whether they are connected to you or not.

As Swami Sivananda also said ,Life depends on food, the gift of Food is the greatest gift therefore feed everyone".
If there is only one day this is possible to do, the Dark moon day on October 5th/6th is the most important one.🙏🕉
September 23, 2021 at 02:52
(Virgo) rohini moon » Datta108
Thanks Datta for telling the story.. it´s a good one :15: great lesson to be learned, materialism can not be taken with us when we die. Sometimes the best "gifts" are those that Mother Nature already gave us. What we choose to "give back" doesn´t have to be material.
September 23, 2021 at 20:32
(Capricorn) Datta108 » rohini moon
It´s one of my favorites,it´s so simple,most wouldn´t think about feeding others as that crucial to spiritual life.
Personally I´ve done just about everything one can do and enjoy in this material world,sensual pleasures especially, but out of all the things I´ve done the most addictive (in the best way possible) was feeding the needy and hungry.
September 24, 2021 at 01:29
(Virgo) rohini moon » rohini moon
Mercury goes retrograde in Chitra from September 27th, starting in the sign of Libra and then back into Virgo by October 2nd, before turning direct on October 18th

This nakshatra is all about practicality, beauty and craft, and you have the classic Mercury retrograde setup to take advantage of a past opportunity that comes around again for a second bite. Expect delays in your messages and media, however, where it’s worth thinking bigger and bolder than usual when you pick your moment.

A small message or idea may turn into a fully-formed article, or even book-plan, or studying a different subject leads you all the way into a new speciality. You have discipline and original thought in your research, and can re-think and edit your writing and get it all down in smooth, presentable form.

As it reverses back into Virgo, Mercury joins dynamic Mars and gives you an assertive voice in debate, along with the ability to campaign. This coming-together peaks on October 10th, in Hasta nakshatra, and though you may be under pressure to give an answer, keep your patience and wait for the right time to declare your hand.

Don’t be afraid to defer judgement, even if an offer appears too good to miss – details usually emerge after the end of a retrograde period that you couldn’t possibly have known at the outset. Back up your data: any problems with your digital tools leads you to explore the issues and you emerge from this transit better-informed about technology and communication.

Mercury also receives the influence of expansive Jupiter after October 2nd, at which point your thinking takes on a broader and more optimistic tone. Follow your intuition and you can express even an uncomfortable truth in a positive way.
September 24, 2021 at 02:15
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » rohini moon
System message: Post has been written by user MartianPisces, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
“Don’t be afraid to defer judgement, even if an offer appears too good to miss – details usually emerge after the end of a retrograde period that you couldn’t possibly have known at the outset. Back up your data: any problems with your digital tools leads you to explore the issues and you emerge from this transit better-informed about technology and communication.”

This is good advice, I’m going to take it and run with it.Thank you :1:
September 24, 2021 at 18:50
(Aquarius) nikkia
How lovely! The so-called ´pagan´ traditions offer food and thanks to ancestors as well. A call to donate (and feed) those less fortunate is beautiful, too...for all seasons, me thinks. May all our ancestors be pleased with our kind deeds.

Thank you for bringing attention to the practice of Pitru Paksha, Ro.

Quite beautiful.
September 24, 2021 at 18:52
(Virgo) rohini moon
More updates related to pitru paksha:

Tarpanam is a very simple yet powerful water ritual which is done for our ancestors, Gods and sages by offering them food, rice, water and black sesame seeds to seek their blessings.

Through this ritual we can clear energy blocks and negativity and invoke the energies of our ancestors as well as thanking them for giving us the body that we have.

Pitru Tarpanam is usually done for 12 of our most recently departed ancestors; parents, grandparents, great grandparents etc and Karunya Tarpanam is performed for other departed relatives, friends, mentors, strangers, pets, creatures, trees, plants and any other life form that you wish to honor and pray for.

When to perform Tarpanam

On the New Moon phase each month and Eclipse days are very good days to do this. Also on Sarva Pitru Amavasya day which is the most important day of Pitru Paksha, a 16-day period when we honor our ancestors and dedicate it to all departed souls,

However, it can be performed on any day apart from on a Sunday that has Saptami Tithi (7th day of the lunar fortnight), on a Friday that has a Nanda Tithi (1, 6 and 11 tithis of the lunar fortnights), on a Sunday with Moon in Bharani, Krittika or Magha Nakshatra and on your own birthday. On these restricted days you can perform Tarpanam without the sesame seeds if needed.

It is best to perform this between sunrise and sunset when there is daylight and in a part of your home where you do not sleep.

-----
September 24, 2021 at 18:56
(Virgo) rohini moon » rohini moon
If one feels obliged, they can do this. But like they say, all you really need is the water and sesame seeds.

---

Preparation to offer Tarpanam

Make a list of 12 departed ancestors, 6 from your Mother´s side and 6 from your Father’s side. (If you are unsure of their names, then it can simply be ‘Great Grandfather, or Great Great Grandmother).

Make a list of departed souls for whom you would like to do the Karunya Tarpanam.

Wear the Pavitram ring made from the darbha grass on the ring finger of the right hand.

Sit on the floor facing the East zone. First pray to Lord Ganesha, the elephant-headed deity and Remover of Obstacles and then to Lord Surya Narayana, the Lord of the Pitru ancestral beings.

Cut the darbha grass into 6 equal pieces around 4 inches long. Each end of the pieces of grass represent the 6 generations on both sides of your family.

Create a grid on a large plate using strands of the grass. 3 vertical and then 3 horizontal (leaving space in between like a crossword grid). Each line should contain 3 strands of grass, so since there are 6 lines, there should be 18 strands used.

Make a paste with the sandalwood powder by mixing with a little water and spread it on the darbha grass.

In the palm of your right hand place a tablespoon of black sesame seeds, white rice, a flower/petals, a coin and a few small pieces of dharba grass.

Sprinkle a few drops over the offerings in your hand.

With all your heart think of your ancestors (if you can, by name) and pray to them as you pour water over your hand.

After some time and when you feel ready, pour the rest of the water over the right hand and let the offerings in your hand wash off completely. (You may reuse the coins for the same Tarpanam ritual that you do each time, just rinse them with water).

(If you are not able to get all the above, then sesame seeds and water are the two main things that you would need).
October 3, 2021 at 07:12
(Virgo) Turbo TJ » rohini moon
Buddha quote fit so perfectly to this topic.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Virgo Virgo
Show calendar »