How did the planets get ascribed their various meanings and titles?

September 7, 2021 at 13:27 (UT/GMT)
(Libra) Veri935
How did the planets get ascribed their various meanings and titles?
I’m not quite sure if I understand totally the process by which even the “essentials”/characteristics were agreed upon. I am aware that there is some level of disagreement between planets and their signs ascribed though..
then modern astrology differs reasonably enough from traditional

Do other cultures hold the same meanings for the planets?
Does anyone have any info on this

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
September 7, 2021 at 18:22
(Taurus) s81
If you ask about the origin of the initial planet meanings, the truth is we don´t know. In short, the most we can do is to study the sumerian roots of astrology (much before other cultures systematized and crafted what we know today about astrology), they already had their astrology, been nothing astrological before that in proto-sumerian sources, so that´s the most remote past we know about it. In their religion/history (that you can read mostly from their "myths") they insisted to have learned everything from their "gods", so we can conclude that for them (the most ancient culture we know) planet meanings (as other elements in their astrology) were not agreements between humans but a sort of "revelation" from "the heavens" (like anything else, according to their "myths"). That´s what history "reveals" to us at least on that topic heh.
September 7, 2021 at 19:58
(Gemini) (dragonfly) » s81
"If you ask about the origin of the initial planet meanings, the truth is we don´t know."

You are right, but what about Pluto, which was discovered more recently? Who gave it its meaning and according to what key? Can you explain why, for example, after its discovery, astrologers did not come to the conclusion that Pluto is a benefic planet similar to Jupiter or Venus?
September 7, 2021 at 21:11
(Taurus) s81 » (dragonfly)
Sure, to understand new bodies, you have existing "traditional" ones to compare it´s effects, that is, by contrast. That was always the technique used by astrologers to understand the nature of the influence of heavenly bodies, fixed stars for example. Just check Claudius Ptolemy in his Almagest, let´s say for the Altair fixed star he says it has a nature of Mars-Jupiter, and so on for others (even to this days).
September 7, 2021 at 22:02
(Taurus) Rosincvist
All discussions between Yer- :158: -us and :199:erschell are bound to result in a shocker; When a Trans-Saturnian planet became official news in 1781 it turned the midi-eval Christmas light view of the heavens into a view of physical spheres that might have a threateningly high count of numbers!
Some great Astrologers have Thibetan past-lives; Consider how different the sky looks with a homogenously nitrogen atmosphere and less scintillation distorting the star clusters!
Pre-Columbian Pacific island travelers had to know EVERYTHING! about the sky, because getting caught in the doldrums in the planet´s largest ocean could mean certain death!
The first Astrology books which had both :199: & :159: listed horrors as their descriptive words.
There is recent grumbling about Eris the mother of monsters being a leader of Kuiper Belt Objects!
The Khaldeans had every military decision based on Astrology and lost every war without exception!
Edgar Cayce talked about Astrology being a Persian imposition on the Hindoos and some would like to keep Seven planet Astrology "Fundamentalist"
There is some attribution to :160: of the fact that the dirty snowball was discovered with a telescope on a ten mile high volcano near the International Date Line.
September 9, 2021 at 19:28
(Aquarius) viv
big question!
most cultures had a star lore and knowledge of the effects of the planets though mythology and understanding of the zodiac may have been quite different.

As others note western astrology had its origins in Chaldean Babylonian and ancient Egyptian times (about 2500-3000 years ago)where the traditional planets´ meanings appear to correspond to those we know today though we may relate to them differently.Most of the stories we use and resonate with in western astrology are Graeco-Roman, though I think they too are in evolution.

From Uranus on its been a matter of astrologers´ observation and intuition- ongoing research really.
September 10, 2021 at 08:55
(Leo) tomdos
This is a question everyone should seriuosly ask.

I know there have always been a very few scarce poeple who are so spiritually developed and sensitive that they can actually directly sense and distinguish the influence and quality of the major celestial bodies. I assume this is where historically astrology stems from. Though I think 99,9% of astrologists of all times simply copy/paste what they have learned from the tradition, books and teachers, with time gaining only more statistical experience. And any modern systems and tools are also derived from amassed combined statistical experience and agreement of many astrologists. Sure, there is also intuition and insight pariticipating, but that is the least reliable and verifiable factor.

Also in my opinion what we call traditional astrology are only shallowed pieces and fragments of some deep premordial concept. IMHO many key elements have been missing ever since. This is good to keep in mind before taking everything traditional or modern as ultimately valid.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Leo Leo
Show calendar »