Open Source Astrology software

July 1, 2021 at 13:54 (UT/GMT)
(Aquarius) Catch-22
Open Source Astrology software
I used to use Openastro.org which was a really neat program on my Linux desktop. There was no Windows version though...

I just wonder if there´s a comparable software on Windows. I´m running a VirtualBox just for this reason, since I just don´t seem to able to run in in the WSL on Windows 10.

I´ve seen a couple of programs but they all seem low level or discontinued... Any suggestions?

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
July 1, 2021 at 14:11
(Leo) cubic
Does it have to be Open Source? There is demos of Janus 5.. and if you have a VM.. you can fiddle with the clock when you need to.
July 1, 2021 at 20:08
(Aquarius) Catch-22 » cubic
No, it doesn´t have to be open source as such, actually I´m looking for a free software, with free as in free speech, not as in free beer: you can use it without restrictions. Open source and free software have become the same over the years...
July 1, 2021 at 20:17
(Aries) ram_goat
the tools on the AS website are quite good...
July 1, 2021 at 20:26
(Aquarius) Catch-22 » ram_goat
They are and I can imagine why people think why do you need separate software for it?

No watermarks for instance is one, to make artistic adaptation of ones horoscope, but many other reasons too.
July 2, 2021 at 09:49
ASTRASTRO-SEEK ADMINSEEK Admin, (Taurus) Petr9
Have you tried Planetdance?
http://jcremers.com/

Cool free software created by cool Dutch hippy guy
July 2, 2021 at 10:17
(Aries) ram_goat
astrolog, on windows.. not too bad.
July 2, 2021 at 10:32
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user Moon_Queen, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
I have a huge problem with graphic of all those programs :85:
It is just annoying.
Hope seek will last forever! :75:
July 2, 2021 at 10:56
(Leo) cubic » Moon_Queen
I´m thankful that there is a major program (Janus) that now has a demo version but the graphics are just.. :39: early-mid 90s style or something
July 2, 2021 at 11:10
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » cubic
System message: Post has been written by user Moon_Queen, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
I really tried a lot of those programs and after couple of minutes they just start giving me a huge pain in the chest with all those chipped off lines and insane colors, no information or option is good enough to compensate that for me...

Petr spoiled us here but that is a good thing :15:

With graphic like this, I´m able to analyze endless numbers of charts and improving my reading skills, without getting tired at all, which is definitely not the case with those poor-graph softwares where I get headache and neurosis after only one or two charts...
July 2, 2021 at 11:26
ASTRASTRO-SEEK ADMINSEEK Admin, (Taurus) Petr9 » Moon_Queen
Yeah, graphics and lack of esthetic feelings is undoing of many (otherwise) great astro softwares :14: :24:
July 2, 2021 at 11:37
(Aquarius) Catch-22 » cubic
Openastro is not eye candy but not bad, can be exported to svg which I can do some neat tricks with in Inkscape.
July 2, 2021 at 23:26
(Aries) ram_goat » Moon_Queen
yes this basically describes all i have used, too. they get the basic features working, then stop. then it stagnates there for many years.
July 2, 2021 at 23:39
(Aries) ram_goat » Petr9
you have almost limitless options to be clever here in the site´s current form-web based. modern browsers are quite good & capable and have fairly uniform features & capabilities. one problem with most software is that the guy writing it comes from a microsoft centric programming background or a unix centric one, so the software is only available for 1 platform or the other, or one version is ok & the version for the other platform is half as good or just bad.

I have to give that astrolog guy sone credit, he has kept that thing up to date for so many decades, it still compiles on linux but its not so easy to use. if you are not so dependent on graphics you can even compile swissephemeris and use it from the command line, but this is not what most people like, i think.
July 3, 2021 at 00:20
(Aries) ram_goat » ram_goat
there are also a lot of python libraries that can do this work, if you learn how they work

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Virgo Virgo
Show calendar »