American Psycho: Astrological Interpretation

June 10, 2021 at 10:39 (UT/GMT)
(Gemini) SagMeister
American Psycho: Astrological Interpretation
Last night I saw "American Psycho". I must say I really enjoyed the plot and the aesthetics but most of all the overall message of the film (which if interpreted correctly, transforms the film from interesting to a "masterpiece"). Has anyone seen it? What kind of Birth Chart would you give to the protagonist Patrick Bateman?

Posts in topic

Page: 1 2
Sort posts:
June 10, 2021 at 10:55
(Gemini) SagMeister
For those who haven´t seen the movie, here´s a brief explanation of the main character.

The film is about the story of a New York yuppie of the 80´s, Patrick Bateman, a beautiful boy who lives in the superficiality and extreme hedonism of those years. Everything in the film is centered on this concept and in particular on the male figure who collapses between the "new hedonistic and manicured man" and the "old hard and macho man". Patrick is obsessed with himself, his beauty and what people think of him, he feels no emotion. He lives in a fake context made of appearances in which he hides his true serial killer nature. He will kill a lot of people during the film but it doesn´t seem to affect him at all, while he will be very concerned about much less significant events: e.g. not being able to make a reservation at the most luxurious restaurant, not having the most beautiful business card, not being clear about his sexual identity (in this scene exactly halfway through the film you will see for the first and only time his fragility).

So with this information, what kind of birth chart would you create?
June 10, 2021 at 19:02
(Virgo) LotusStar
It´s a 90s classic :3: one of my favorites

I think he is a Capricorn Sun square Pluto Libra (obsessed with status, wants to be ´Boss´) with Libra rising (wants to look good and be liked, says the right things, has a superficial charm) Mars in Virgo in 12 house (obsessive meticulous routines, violent fantasies, secretly seething angry). Pluto on the ascendant in Libra makes him as attractive as he is, women always fall for his charm.

Not sure about his Moon... Aquarius maybe? Aloof? Or maybe in fire sign, explosive when angry.

Venus....I don´t now, maybe Scorpio :61: It would fall in his 2nd house, making him obsessively materialistic as he is, and the bdsm thing.

He has to have a prominent Lilith too. Either conjunct his Moon or Venus.
June 10, 2021 at 19:29
(Gemini) SagMeister » LotusStar
Interesting point of view. Thx
June 11, 2021 at 00:56
(Pisces) fishscales
Very concerned with comparing (remember the business card scene?), so some Libra influence.

Very health and routine oriented, so there´s some Virgo.

Also picking up Taurus (holds grudges) and Cap influences (job, concern with status) as well.

And of course, there´s got to be a difficult Pluto somewhere.

Whatever his astrological influences are, this scene is hilarious.

https://youtu.be/vzN3qO-qc8U
YouTube
YouTube
June 11, 2021 at 02:00
(Virgo) RohiniMoon
I used to watch that movie a lot in my early 20s, got a lot of quotes from that movie and songs - that have never been looked at the same ever again.

Everything the character did and said was hilarious.

The scenes between him and DT Kimball..

The microscopic details of the business cards that he was practically having an orgasm over..

His incredible detailed knowledge on Phil Collins and Whitney Houstons musical ´nuances´´

Music, fitness, materialism ...... heavy in Virgo, libra, Taurus and Scorpio...probably.

https://m.youtube.com/watch/…
YouTube
YouTube
June 11, 2021 at 12:20
(Leo) Anni23 » LotusStar
What about like the actor? Hehehe

Aquarius Sun
Taurus moon
Capricorn Venus
Taurus mars
Libra Pluto
Scorpio ascendant?..(idk, can´t find it)
June 11, 2021 at 16:37
(Pisces) fishscales » RohiniMoon
Why do we both find this movie funny

What is wrong with us :61:
June 11, 2021 at 16:43
(Taurus) Iceblu333
I´ve been meaning to finish that movie; I might watch it today.
June 11, 2021 at 16:50
(Leo) cubic
Do I like American Psycho? I´ve been a big Christian Bale fan ever since the release of American Psycho. Before that, I really didn´t understand any of his work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on American Psycho Christian Bales´ presence became more apparent. I think it´s his undisputed masterpiece. It´s an epic meditation on intangibility.

I think it was at that point, that he really came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole movie has a clear, crisp vision, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the whole experience a big boost. He´s been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Christian Bale has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
June 11, 2021 at 18:09
(Virgo) RohiniMoon » fishscales
Me, you and just about every friend I´ve ever had...

Hilarious character... insane but hilarious

Best excuses a character has given..

"I was probably returning video tapes"

And..
" I was having a shower, and some sorbet"
June 11, 2021 at 18:11
(Virgo) RohiniMoon » cubic
"He´s been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Christian Bale has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor."

:61:

You´re good at this... you ever consider changing your username to Patrick Bateman, and adopting that persona on astroseek?
June 11, 2021 at 22:08
(Virgo) LotusStar » cubic
Haha, nicely done. :37:

This movie is part dark comedy/satire, it´s meant to be funny! Well, at least a little funny.
June 11, 2021 at 22:09
(Virgo) LotusStar » Anni23
Yeah he definitely fits a lot of the signs I expect the character to have. I can´t imagine a more perfect Patrick Bateman. :4:
June 12, 2021 at 00:25
(Pisces) fishscales » cubic
:75:
June 12, 2021 at 00:26
Returning video tapes... :61:

I need to watch this again, it´s been a while.
June 12, 2021 at 00:46
I´ve seen it so much in my youth, the hilarity is embedded in my brain :61:

It´s a big mixture of the absurdity of the character - first and foremost what he says, as if it´s normal and says it completely straight faced (Capricorn there) and then it´s also Christian Bale trying to hide his limey accent with this yuppie, conservative, emotionless robotic tone..

It was great.. I laugh hard at nearly every scene
June 12, 2021 at 02:57
(Virgo) RohiniMoon » RohiniMoon
Sorry I´m gonna ruin this guys thread with hilarity but...it´s worth it..

Definitely the correct way to break up..

"You´re not terribly important to me"

"I´ve assessed the situation! And I am going!"

:61:
YouTube
YouTube
June 12, 2021 at 10:39
"I have to return some videotapes" :61:

OK I guess I forgot how intentionally funny this movie was...

Makes me feel less guilty about laughing at it now :61:
June 12, 2021 at 14:54
(Leo) cubic » RohiniMoon
Thanks. But adopting the persona of Patrick Bateman is not terribly important to me. I just have my moments once in a while. I do want to fit in, but I think if I show myself as I am, I could quickly provoke a general social concern.
June 12, 2021 at 16:11
(Virgo) RohiniMoon » cubic
:61: :61:
June 12, 2021 at 16:35
(Leo) cubic » fishscales
When I first saw it, I took it as a serious movie about psychopathy, sans the musical monologues, these were always great fun, then I saw the identity aspect of it, then well.. it took me years since I´m not originally born in the West/Anglosphere to grasp the specific culture of the 80s yuppies to unlock the rest of the layers of the movie.

Now I do think there is a huge dose of satire there, it´s a horror-satire that works on many levels.. and can be seen as either, or as both.. and as I´ve grown older I see less and less some of the social interactions in the movie as exaggerations, and more and more as real probabilities or things I´ve experienced myself, so I´ll just paste a part of a review off imdb:

"Is he insane? Are we? That´s the joker in the gamble. That´s the riddle of the sphinx that we are left to solve -- if there is a solution."
June 12, 2021 at 18:39
"I was returning video tapes"

I´m dating myself here, I´m sure you remember good ol´ AOL instant messenger back in the day...how you could leave an "away message" - my friend used to use that line as The message.. :61:

Was a laugh riot.

YouTube
YouTube
June 12, 2021 at 23:44
Yes that would definitely be a good "away message´...

I also love how that´s the last thing he says to the girl after he breaks up with her and leaves her at the table crying...been thinking about that all day :61:

Must have looked like a psycho myself, cutting the grass and randomly laughing...kept popping into my head for some reason...
June 13, 2021 at 00:27
"Must have looked like a psycho myself, cutting the grass and randomly laughing...kept popping into my head for some reason"

:61: :61:

:5: <----- Patrick Bateman
YouTube
YouTube
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2021
Moon calendar