Cooking/Baking Tips & Tricks!

June 7, 2021 at 23:42 (UT/GMT)
(Virgo) RohiniMoon
Cooking/Baking Tips & Tricks!
Anyone have any? I´m always trying to get creative in the kitchen. Could be anything, from simple to extravagant..

For instance I just got some organic eggplant, There´s a plethora of ways to make eggplant.. but I had never tried any.. so I just went simple, baked them in the oven with some coconut oil, sprinkled lightly some salt and pepper.. sounds basic enough, but I never had it made that way, haha.

You got any ways of making your favorite dishes or snacks? Maybe you´ll give me and others some fun ideas..

:44:

Posts in topic

Page: 1 2 3
Sort posts:
June 8, 2021 at 00:13
(Pisces) fishscales
Cook in cast iron!!

Fuck non-stick cookware.

Fuck kitchen gadgets as well.

Learn how to use a knife, fry, etc.
June 8, 2021 at 00:16
(Pisces) fishscales » fishscales
Here´s a stupid but useful tip...

If you´re measuring out honey in a measuring cup, coat the measuring cup with a (very) thin layer of oil first...honey will come right out.

Don´t know why this never occurred to me for years.
June 8, 2021 at 00:20
(Pisces) fishscales
Here´s an important one...

If you´re washing lettuce for a salad, make absolutely sure you shake that shit out good or find some way to dry it WELL.

Nothing worse than your favorite homemade salad dressing turning into a watered down mess.
June 8, 2021 at 00:28
(Virgo) RohiniMoon » fishscales
"Cook in cast iron"

So funny you mention that, my hub just got one not long ago. .its so much better to cook in not only for taste, but regular pans have all that aluminum crap, and it just degenerates your brain/mental faculties..and makes your food taste ...just, not as flavorful or good..

I was surprised how HEAVY it is though!!! Someone could do A lot of damage with that thing..

It always made sense though, that´s why chefs and anyone who´ cooks professionally always uses high quality tools to make the food in... you get what you pay for, want good tasting high quality food...you gotta have the right tools to start with
June 8, 2021 at 00:37
(Virgo) RohiniMoon » fishscales
I eat salads everyday, and yeah...ew to a soggy ass salad.

What about any homemade dressings? Got any? I´m boring, if I don´t have ginger dressing...I´ll just use olive oil and a lemon
June 8, 2021 at 00:40
(Virgo) RohiniMoon
Leave it to a Taurus Moon to make a topic like this when the moon is in Taurus :61:

I just noticed that
June 8, 2021 at 01:09
(Aries) ram_goat » RohiniMoon
omg you never had any cast iron?

it´s all I use. love it.

I only keep a few stainless pots around for heating water.

great pans to bake in as well. they hold a lot of heat
and heat evenly in an oven. You are PA which is like the heart
of cast iron land. I´de say go get some for pennies at a thrift
store but something you´ll notice- you never see any in thrift
stores because it´s the "good stuff" people keep. Thrift stores
are filled with the junk pots and pans nobody wants- either because
they are some weird thing (decorative, aluminium, or ugly, or for cooking something large or strange- 12 poached eggs or whatever..) Almost anything finds its way to a thrift store before good knives or good pots and pans do.
Basic cast iron skillet is great for bread, pies, cake.. anything. It does a
great job creating that "crust" on the outside of baked stuff. Cornbread.

People also say "it heats evenly" which is only partly true. CI came about when wood burning stoves first started to be mass produced in the later 1800´s. If you have ever used one, they can be fickle until you master them.
CI was good because it could absorb a lot of heat, stay hot, and even out the
temperature swings of wood fired stoves that were poorly fed. Any idiot could make it work. On modern stoves, even heating is less true.. the flame itself is a "hot spot" and the pans also develop "hot spots" in those areas, but I just think it makes the food cook better. Stir it a bit more, if you are cooking meat (well obviously you and I would never do that..). Use very low flame and let the pan warm. I find CI easy and Alu tricky because Alu bleeds off heat almost as fast as you heat it. Keeping things at a stable temperature is tricky, you use higher flame with it. I guess it survives because it´s cheap, light and it´s what chefs get trained on. Force of habit. But it´s not the best or most durable metal, I think. And too fickle in the way it heats.

If you want the cast iron feel & cooking behavior (and indestructability but not the weight, go with carbon steel. Lodge started making them, the French & Spanish have been making them even longer. A lot of other companies make it. Somehow I always seem to find Garcima stuff from Spain. It´s all dirt cheap and will last a lifetime. Still there seems to be no replacement for the classic old cast iron skillet, somehow it´s some sort of perfect design.
I never get the porcelain coated stuff... I like it crude and utilitarian.
Anyway, everybody always chips the porcelain sooner or later and then you are back to having a CI pan, albeit a marred one.

https://startpage.com/av/…

June 8, 2021 at 01:18
(Virgo) RohiniMoon » ram_goat
It´s great! and it will be all I use from here to eternity.. like it says, it lasts.. a lifetime.

No point in buying anything else, because it doesn´t last. Quality over quantity :15:
June 8, 2021 at 01:39
use it to make toast, or toast bread for a pannini..
ci is great for that too. I use mine daily.

never even put it away.
June 8, 2021 at 01:42
Ah ha.. thanks for the tip! :44:

Thrift stores for cast iron ware.. i wouldn´t have thought to check there.. when I think of thrift I always just think of clothes..and knick-knacks .but like you said, you never know, you may find some..if you´re lucky.. if not, it´s def worth spending the coin on..

You gave me lots of good information here.. thanks ram.. ;)
June 8, 2021 at 01:43
another tip.. learn to cook for women..
fat middle age guy, you know he´s gettin´ some that night..

https://www.youtube.com/watch/…

learn to love wine if you don´t already.

YouTube
YouTube
June 8, 2021 at 01:49
Thrift stores for cast iron ware..

just go and see if you find any there..

you won´t.. people keep the good stuff..

all you´ll find is the stuff that nobody wants.
June 8, 2021 at 01:57
"all you´ll find is the stuff that nobody wants"

Like this?
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
June 8, 2021 at 02:09
hahahaha..

pluto sag sez: "who is cher?"

there is cool stuff at thrift stores, you just won´t find cast iron there.
Login
(Log in)
June 8, 2021 at 02:12
They don´t have a clue do they..

They don´t even know "if I could turn back time"? :61:
June 8, 2021 at 02:13
Omg is that real??? :61: :61: I love Archie... I had no clue about that :61:
June 8, 2021 at 02:17
but does the child spout xenophobic racism,

or liberal enlightened 1970´s views?

I guess it´s up to the kid who plays with the doll.
June 8, 2021 at 02:22
yes it´s real...

what were they thinking?

as real as "Alien" the board game from the 1970´s...

imagine an 11 year old pulling the "chest burster" card..

this seems more like a drinking game, but most board games are
so slow and draggy they make me want to drink.
Login
(Log in)
June 8, 2021 at 02:27
(Aries) ram_goat » ram_goat
one kitchen gadget I do tolerate: spiral cutter..

cut potatoes or sweet potatoes and deep fry them.

not dieting food to be sure, but still there will never be any left
on the plate. it disappears as fast as you cook it.

also a quick lazy way to cut vegetables for salads that makes them a lot
more interesting.. cucumbers.

just say no to: slap-chop. graty. Vince Schlomi..

although sham-wow.. well, you know the Germans they always make great stuff.

Cast iron dutch oven makes a great deep fryer.
June 8, 2021 at 02:29
:61: :61:

That´s great... never saw the alien board game either..

I know what you mean.. I enjoyed a nice game of scrabble and monopoly growing up.. but the thought of it now isn´t very appetizing.. I like trivia games more.. just cause I have a lot of useless pop culture nonsense knocking around in my brain :32:
June 8, 2021 at 02:33
(Pisces) Fireyfish
Oh I love cooking with cast iron, I use my grandparents set from the 60´s. They are seasoned perfectly! A seasoned cast iron pan is worth it´s weight. If you are new to cast iron the best advice I could give would be to make sure and never wash it with soap, ever. It will ruin any seasoning you have and encourage food to stick. If you have food cooked on just heat it back up with water and wipe it out until it´s clean. Re-season with oil. Use a soft cloth, microfiber is what I use. I use olive oil that I have put cloves of garlic into for extra flavor. Cast iron dutch ovens are amazing too. I use one all summer while in the mountains and cook over an open fire. Nothing like a chili or even cobbler cooked this way. Cowboy Kent Rollins on YouTube has some pretty great videos and even recipes.

I eat a high protein, low carb diet and so organic meats and produce are super important to me. I do not buy anything in a box or a package, save rice and pasta for the kids. I used to make my own pasta but alas, I no longer have time for that. I also buy direct from a rancher who has raised the meat themselves.

Eggplant is very versatile. Eggplant parmesan, sliced up and baked in egg wash and parmesan cheese. I use it as crust for fake pizza, just slice and top, then bake. I use it or zucchini in place of pasta in lasagna. I´m betting you would be a kale chip person.....one bunch of kale, washed, dried, tear off the stem in bite size pieces. Toss in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season to your preference, (my fav is onion powder and a dash of coarse ground pepper), bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, till it´s crispy. Better than any potato chip.
June 8, 2021 at 02:37
the success of Star Wars in the 70´s made toy companies and movie studios lose their minds for a spell.

so take and R rated horror movie and make a game based on it, marketed to
children?!?!

what next? "Porky´s: the board game?"
June 8, 2021 at 04:31
(Pisces) fishscales » RohiniMoon
This one´s ridiculously simple but sooo good...especially in the summer. Basic Greek dressing.

Grab a Mason jar or something.

Add:

1 large clove of garlic, grated

1 tspn dried oregano. You can rub it in your palm to release more of the flavor if you want. Dried Greek oregano would be even better. It´s more pungent. But regular is fine.

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 tspn black pepper (most people would probably put half that, but I love pepper!)

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (strain out pulp)

1/2 cup olive oil

Shake it up. That´s it.

Great on a Greek salad with feta and Greek olives on a hot day...

Also makes a good marinade...
June 8, 2021 at 04:35
(Aries) ram_goat » fishscales
oh thanks.. that sounds great.

oh another tip..

buy a good quality pepper mill, and use it..

wood, not plastic or stainless, metal grinding wheels, and
not motorized.

don´t use ground pepper.. grind whole pepper in the mill.
June 8, 2021 at 04:46
(Pisces) fishscales » ram_goat
Yeah I gotta invest in one of those.

Somone at work got me one for Xmas, but it´s plastic.

It was more of a vehicle for the peppercorns they bought, which I still have plenty of
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2021
Moon calendar
Moon in Capricorn Capricorn
Show calendar »