Associating Aspects / Interpretation

March 21, 2021 at 14:07 (UT/GMT)
(Capricorn) pluto°rising
Associating Aspects / Interpretation
I´ve searched the forum for posts on aspects and read through quite a lot of them.

I´m trying to start small as I begin the venture into aspect interpretation and having the hardest time wrapping my head around how planets associate. To keep this simple I´ll narrow my question to a small area of my chart and only one aspect: Sun in Capricorn in the 4th House opposition Moon in Cancer in the 10th house.

With my sun in Capricorn in the 4th house I see identity as a patient ambition to create strong roots and peace in my home life. The harder part for me is how to associate the aspect of my sun opposite my moon.

I see moon in Cancer in opposition as having conflicts in my quest for the building of the strong roots, but the 10th house is... ?? that I will make this my life´s work? A home life with strong roots and without conflict? (This sounds accurate of my life so far as a parent as well as having taken care of a parent until their death, in both cases there are/were continual conflicts that feel very much like weeding a garden)

Am I reading this correctly? Is there more in this one aspect that I´m missing? If yes, what?

Also, how do the planets that rule the 4th and 10th houses come into play? They are opposite the planets each house contains. Does this strengthen the opposition? Make the task more challenging? Make it easier? Have no effect at all?

I see other planet aspects to both of these that will affect the interaction of the planets and houses in question, but I´m still waiting for just one aspect to "click" so I can learn how to interpret the others.

I understand the planet is what, the sign is how and the house is where but I´m missing the link that connects the planets, signs and houses to each other.

All input appreciated!

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
March 21, 2021 at 15:24
(Aries) JayJayAstrology
These are very thoughtful questions!

FYI - The Planets are the drivers of the chart - the kind of energy - the the kind of action. The houses describe the areas of human experience - body, family, love relationships, careers, etc. The Signs give a psychological or archetypal quality to the action taking place in an arena of life - so qualities like being nurturing, hardworking, creative, inspired, loving, transforming, etc. Sun in Aries in the 7th house - I am (Sun is self-identity) independent and assertive (Aries) in my relationships (7th house).

All oppositions do have a tug-of-war feel, but they ultimately are about integration or balance. They are like two sides of one coin, so they aren´t like squares, which have more intensity or pressure to change. The opposites have to work together in order to glean positive results for both poles.

Sun opposite Moon is a Full Moon. The Moon is reflecting the Sun´s light to the highest degree.

Your chart is special in that the Moon is in its own sign - Cancer, but in Capricorn´s natural house. And the Sun is Capricorn, the sign that naturally rules the 10th house in Cancer´s natural house. This opposite effect or sign swap effect happens with Libra Rising charts, as it is the opposite of the natural chart, which has Aries rising. (Your Virgo ASC is almost Libra. If you were born at 11:44 pm, you´d have a Libra rising - so you got the effect).

Anyway, the 4th and 10th houses are traditionally associated with parents and family. You may have more focus on family and parents than other people, but that is only one possible way to look at it. The houses can mean many things - as do the planets and signs. The 4th house is the house of home and family, psychology, our conditioning. So having a Capricorn IC, I would guess that your family did not express their emotions so much. They no doubt had emotions, but they were not so expressive of them. Your Sun there places a focus on those family experiences.

Yet, your Moon is in Cancer, a very sensitive and feeling-oriented sign at 00 degrees Cancer no less (its very potent there) - and the MC is the most social outward part of oneself. So, you were actually quite sensitive and probably picked up on your parents feelings even if they didn´t express them. I would think with Sun in Capricorn, that you may have taken responsibility for their feelings.

However, I have to admit, that I´m not just reading your Sun and Moon - but your South Node to be able to conclude this without too much reservation. The problem with taking a little piece of a chart is that you can´t really read it without seeing how it functions in the whole. But, we still have to learn through understanding the parts. It´s a catch-22.

You have a Grand Square, Grand Trine (with kite), and a Mystic Rectangle - plus other aspects, so there is a lot going on in your chart. Your Sun and Moon are part of the Grand Square giving these lights a lot more tension than if they were just opposite. They are square Pluto and Mars/Chiron - and all 4 angles are involved - the most sensitive parts of the chart. This is no ordinary opposition. And, if your birth time is correct, Capricorn and Cancer are intercepted signs! It´s complicated.

It sounds like you read your interpretation of your Sun and Moon placements online - and - I´d probably end up interpreting them much differently if I were doing a full reading. Your Moon is on the cusp of Gemini, and I bet you feel like a Gemini too. Your Chart Ruler is Mercury - ruler of Gemini - so these can all go into the mix when considering career options. Your social life and career, are probably pretty important though.

The life focus is developing your self-identity - finding your true self - developing your own ideas, your own goals, your own sense of self so that life is meaningful. You´re developing more independence. You do like to help others and you tend to do this too much. So there´s a need for much internal investigation.

Understanding one aspect isn´t necessarily going to give you a handle on all of them. Each type of aspect has a different "energy" - a different effect. And then looking at the whole thing - can change what you might interpret just looking at part of it - like just looking at the opposition without seeing it as a Grand Square.

Well, I think I´ve answered your question.

My website: http://thesoulmustsing.weebly.com - I do western astrology readings, dream interpretation, and mind-body healing by a donation of your choice - and classes at reasonable rates. Sign up for my newsletter!
March 21, 2021 at 16:30
(Capricorn) pluto°rising » JayJayAstrology
Jay Jay,
So in depth, thank you for taking the time.

Yes, you answered my question, oppositions as a tug of war, for balance and integration. This is very helpful. Your description of two sides of a coin resonates with me very deeply.

My birth time is correct, retrieved from my birth registration with footprints given to my mother by the hospital.

Your are correct, I am using online interpretations of characteristics of each planet, asteroid, sign, house, aspect, shape, etc. Please do share any other resources I should look at instead. I´m very new to every working of astrology. So far I´m trying to use keywords for each simply because there are so many.

I remain confused on how you see things such as ..."So having a Capricorn IC, I would guess that your family did not express their emotions so much." ... because that is absolutely accurate.

It is these associations I´m struggling to see. After I read this my mind goes here: "Is this knowledge something I can take into the chart of another person with the same Capricorn placement? Or is that part dependent upon my moon and my south node?"

It´s true, I´m trying to break it down to understand each part and then how it relates to another part because looking at more than one thing at a time overwhelms me, but every little thing takes practice and patience, I will continue with both.

Affirmation of other things you mentioned:
I only feel like a Gemini at work, it calls for sociability, which I´m okay with because I´m selling the company, not my self.
My career feels important only as a way to provide support or help to others and yes..Over-helping has been known to cause me grief. I´ve been working on learning to be still for ... ever now...lol.
I am an extreme introvert unless the fear of embarrassment forces me not to be, which also sometimes causes embarrassment because it feels unnatural. (left to my own devices I have close to zero social life)

Your response is something I will study, not just read once. Again, my thanks for the detailed insights!
March 21, 2021 at 17:02
(Aries) JayJayAstrology » pluto°rising
It takes a very long time to learn astrology. It took me 10 years of serious study before I began to feel like I could call myself a professional.

Yes, Capricorn IC does suggest primary family home life was not emotionally expressive. A Capricorn Moon would describe someone who is not emotionally expressive and even Capricorn Sun people can error in that direction. Capricorn likes to work work work - and it tends to sweep feelings under the rug.

You are sensitive to other people´s feelings because your Moon is in Cancer - and you probably wish you weren´t so sensitive - because that´s how most Moon in Cancer people feel - and Moon on MC is a very sensitive place. I bet there is a positive reason for you to learn to not be so sensitive - at work you have to work at it - so it is helping you.

Anyway, yes - when studying astrology, we must be patient, and just keep doing it. Eventually, we get there. I´m glad I was helpful.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Virgo Virgo
Show calendar »