Can someone explain Degrees and how they work

February 15, 2021 at 12:34 (UT/GMT)
(Taurus) brooke mcgrogan
Can someone explain Degrees and how they work
I’m really interested in astrology but have no idea what the degrees mean? Could someone help explain what they are and what they effect.

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
February 15, 2021 at 13:25
(Pisces) fishscales
There are critical and anaretic degrees:

https://cafeastrology.com/criticald…

There are also more modern degree notation systems such as the Sabian symbols, which assign a sort of symbolic meaning to all 360 degrees of the zodiac. Keep in mind that these "symbolic meanings" were experienced by a "psychic", so who knows if they are valid or not. There´s no way of telling. There are also other systems similar to the Sabian symbols which are based on the visions of other psychics, so the symbols for each degree are different. Personally, I take this kind of stuff with less than a grain of salt, though it´s interesting reading. Not something I would apply in real life though.

Some degrees will also take on special or additional meaning if they are conjunct fixed stars. This I do attach some weight to. Lists of which degrees are conjunct which fixed stars can be found online. (or in a book of course!)

I also like to look at the straight numerological value of degrees, at least for the sun, moon, and ascendant. For example, if your sun was at 15 degrees Libra when you were born, I´ve always thought that maybe your sun placement would carry something of a "6" vibe (1+5).

I like to take the numerological values of the sun, moon, and ascendant, and just see how those numbers "feel" against each other to gain another view (besides aspects) of how the sun, moon, and asc all function together and play off each other. Kind of hard to explain, I guess.

Also have nothing to back this practice up, and I can´t really say how "useful" it is, it´s just something I´ve always done.
February 15, 2021 at 18:08
(Sagittarius) Psyle
One way of putting it :

- the sign is a planet´s most manifest expression ("plane of action")
- the subphase is a planet´s hidden motivation ("emotional plane")
- the degree is a planet´s core archetype ("mental plane")

The zodiac, due to its fractal nature, can be divided into subphases where each sign contains a miniature version of the entire zodiac. This means that every 30° of a given sign has twelve subphases (2.5° each). For instance Aquarius starts with a hyperactive Aries subphase (0° to 2.5°) and ends with a mellow Pisces subphase (27.5° to 30°). In practice the first decan Aquarians are effectively quite rebellious and political while the third decan Aquarians are usually more dreamy, creative and ingenious. All in all, these two subphases will share the same aquarian energy (idealistic, eccentric, hypersocial) but their underlying intent will be different.

Now degrees take this process one step further. They reveal the real blueprint (core idea) which will later be developped in the subphase (motivation) and then ultimately expressed in the sign (final action).

As fishscales remarked, the two main approaches for degrees are numerology and sabian symbols. Both are effective if treated in the right way. In numerology, once numbers are reduced, they can be related to the 12 houses of astrology, or the 22 major arcanas of tarot, or even their core numerological meanings (i.e. 2 is duality).
February 15, 2021 at 18:15
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13
There is the notion that the first ten degrees of each sign are primitive, while the last ten degrees are evolved, biggest exception is :178: the :122: which is consistently evolved!

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Leo Leo
Show calendar »