The degrees of the Planets

July 23, 2019 at 17:15 (UT/GMT)
(Aquarius) Amdash
The degrees of the Planets
I’m a little confused regarding the degrees of the planets. You know like 16.05° Of I don’t know Jupiter in Virgo ♍️ or something like that. Do these degrees Sum up the amount of how much we Function in real life? are these degrees a representation of how strong our Personality is?

Posts in topic

Page: 2 1
Sort posts:
July 26, 2019 at 15:57
(Pisces) TimeSciences
´Glad you brought this up since many experienced with Astrology have provided information. ´Hope all who were injured in some way based on transits that clearly correlate such events are OK!
Because I truly don´t have a time of birth (see profile & the ´guesstimate time´ as of this writing is in there as 7:04AM giving a ´night chart´ due to geographic location) all I can do is play around with rectifying it based on comments from parents that ´the sun was coming up´ and interpretations through various times have too many inaccuracies. I was hoping to see if I could demonstrate my own ´life pattern´ across various life events but due to no known exact time of birth it doesn´t work very well but, there are other uses of Astrology that are demonstrable with nature such as the moon on the tides for activities such as fishing!
Have a great day! :4:
July 26, 2019 at 13:14
(Sagittarius) Sus » MarvinReal
I´m starting to look to sidereal but not familiar with it.
What do you think about it? Does it make sense?
Sidereal=vedic? Can you explain me please?
July 26, 2019 at 02:16
(Pisces) fishscales » astro-flame
"do you mean to say there is regular exaltation and deep exaltation? So two different levels of exaltation in Vedic?"

No, a planet can be exalted or debilitated by sign, but then in deep exaltation/debilitation if it´s at the specific degree of its deep exaltation/debilitation in that sign.

For example, Jupiter would be exalted in Cancer, but in deep exaltation at 5 degrees Cancer. Likewise, Jupiter would be debilitated in Capricorn, but in a state of deep debilitation at 5 degrees Capricorn. The degrees of deep exaltation/debilitation are always opposite eachother.

"As for critical/anaretic... since I also don´t understand the reasoning behind the critical degrees (except for 0 degrees cardinal, since they are marking solstices and equinoxes) I dismiss them, at least for now."

Pretty much where I´m at with it.

"An important factor here is dignities or debilitations (if any) which will affect the expression. To take Jupiter as an example: at 29 degrees Gemini it is about to change from its sign of detriment to the sign of exaltation. It "can´t wait" to get out of Gemini. At 29 Sag Jupiter is about to go from the sign it rules to the sign of fall. It probably isn´t too happy about the upcoming change )))"

Never thought of this. Pretty cool.
July 25, 2019 at 10:14
(Aries) astro-flame » Amdash
You´re welcome :27: I know, it can get really complicated, especially considering a variety of opinions on the matter form different schools of astrology :63:
July 25, 2019 at 10:11
(Aries) astro-flame » fishscales
"I always remember the Vedic degrees of deep exaltation and debilitation for Jupiter"

do you mean to say there is regular exaltation and deep exaltation? So two different levels of exaltation in Vedic?

Funny that in Westerns the signs of exaltation/debilitation match, at least for Jupiter.

As for critical/anaretic... since I also don´t understand the reasoning behind the critical degrees (except for 0 degrees cardinal, since they are marking solstices and equinoxes) I dismiss them, at least for now.

As for 0 and 29 of each sign, at least I came across a good explanation:

at 0 degrees a planet is just entering the sign, having spent some time in a different quality, described by the previous sign. The properties of the new sign are still sort of strange and different, the planet hasn´t "got used to them" yet. At 29 degrees the planet is well familiar and experienced with the expressions of the sign it´s about to leave. But the point is that it IS about to leave what is well known and familiar and change its qualities once again.

An important factor here is dignities or debilitations (if any) which will affect the expression. To take Jupiter as an example: at 29 degrees Gemini it is about to change from its sign of detriment to the sign of exaltation. It "can´t wait" to get out of Gemini. At 29 Sag Jupiter is about to go from the sign it rules to the sign of fall. It probably isn´t too happy about the upcoming change )))
July 24, 2019 at 22:35
(Pisces) fishscales » Amdash
Nah it´s not getting on anyone´s nerves. Well not mine anyway.

I think you may be carrying that feeling over from that guy´s response on your Lilith thread.

Don´t be afraid to ask questions, only way we learn anything.

If someone doesn´t like your question, they can not post on the thread.

Just as far as degrees go, if you´re a beginner, I would get a solid foundation in signs and planets first, then planets in signs and house positions, then aspects, and worry about degrees and all that later. :1:
July 24, 2019 at 22:26
(Aquarius) Amdash » fishscales
OK thank you for clarifying that involving the 0° and that’s when I degrees. That does make sense.

I think this topic is actually getting on peoples nerves that or I am possibly pestering and getting on peoples nerves so I’m going to stop.

Thank you for giving me your time to help me understand this better Fishscales. As well as everyone else who offered to bring clarity to this topic.
July 24, 2019 at 22:14
(Pisces) fishscales » Amdash
No Amdash, that´s not exactly right.

Yes 0 and 29 are critical degrees supposedly signifying different ways a planet will manifest in a sign.

0 degrees supposedly signifies that a planet is going to behave in a "green", fresh way in a sign.

29 degrees signifies that that planet will behave like a world-weary traveler in that sign. Someone who´s been there, done that.

Or so the stories go.

Degrees between those two degrees are more or less equal, at least in my opinion, except perhaps for the critical degrees I mentioned in my other post, and the Vedic degrees of exaltation and debilitation that YC88 mentioned in her post.

Personally I don´t place THAT much stock in any of it.

To me, a person with the sun at 5 degrees Taurus is just as much a Taurus as someone with the sun at 25 degrees Taurus.

Yes, there are decans of the signs and all that, but I would chalk those up to minor influences.

What degree a planet is at does not determine the strength of the overall personality, although it can determine the strength of that particular planet in terms of degrees of exaltation and debility.

Also, planets do not "gain" strength the the "higher" they are in degrees. Degrees of exaltation and debilitation can be higher or lower degrees and vice versa, depending on the sign.

Strength of a planet is basically determined by sign position, house position, and aspects, with the significance of certain degrees adding some depth to the planet´s interpretation.

July 24, 2019 at 21:47
(Aquarius) Amdash » Angelina
OK, now the way you described the degrees makes perfect sense on how you explained it! Basically the stronger they are the more common we will dial in them because they’re a part of us but the lower they are the less that we deal with him, and if it’s around 0° critical it’s just a brand new aspect and degree?
July 24, 2019 at 19:48
(Scorpio) Angelina » Amdash
Both critical by themselves. As 0° is a first step to a new territory, so it´s weak and unknown. When You don´t know something very well, You can not be strong in that area? And 29° I understand like having too much of experience when You (in this case a Planet) dig into things too much and maybe even unnecessary and finally You end up without a result.
July 24, 2019 at 19:23
(Sagittarius) goldenlion32 » Amdash
Oh I´m fine. Thank you. Yes, a lot of Retrogrades. I know the fire trine is working just fine. Thank you.
July 24, 2019 at 19:09
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user MarvinReal, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
Well, basically I follow sidereal astrology. Thus everything in less than 25° degrees, plus minus, is likely to be in previous equal sign. With actual constellations in mind it can still be in the same sign or in different one.

There is a theory of "anaretic degrees", that 29° degree of any tropical sign has special, critical features.

I have got Mars in the last degree of Scorpio, and while I agree that I am so anaretic, I don´t follow such theory per se. For me, a zodiac is like a measure (a yardstick). For example, with Tropical zodiac, you know that Virgo is the harvest, Aquarius is a flooding and Aries is a spring season. Like a calendar with numbers for days. I don´t feel that Sabian symbols for degrees meanings are right either. I should support it, because it portrays my natal chart quite favourably, but I don´t buy feelings. In other disciplines there are also psychological levels or numbers, which masses are afraid of, or looking forward to. It´s just a number. Mine is likely a minority opinion cause I often don´t get mainstream.

If you have a planet in the middle of the sign, it´s just visually attractive, girls will like it a lot, but I don´t think it has any meaning. There are some notable exceptions, like the oldest zodiac have used axis Aldebaran-Antares as a basis measure, both stars approximately at 15° Tau, 15° Sco., opposing each other. That´s where it belongs. Not Gemini-Sagittarius folks.

Cool thing is that 29th degree is actually 30th degree or 29°-29°59´59´´.
July 24, 2019 at 18:13
(Aquarius) Amdash » astro-flame
First and foremost let me thank you very much by taking the time out of your schedule to bring clarity to me regarding this very tricky subject matter. It’s a little bit complicated to retain some clarity over what the degrees actually stand for on my end, and I’m just gonna have to understand I’m a little bit more through a little more reading but boy they are still a little bit tricky for me
July 24, 2019 at 18:12
(Aquarius) Amdash » goldenlion32
I’m really sorry hear that that happened to you! I’ve been blaming it on the Mercury retrograde! Right around the time that it started I accidentally cut my thumb on a piece of glass while working at my job.

That boy was dripping puddles all over the place.
July 24, 2019 at 18:09
(Aquarius) Amdash » fishscales
Honestly everybody needs a good laugh now and then.
July 24, 2019 at 18:05
(Aquarius) Amdash » Angelina
So are 0° AND 29° both critical by themselves or together? And are the degrees between the 0° and 29° in the same ballpark?
July 24, 2019 at 13:16
(Scorpio) Angelina
I don´t know much about degrees. Only that 0° and 29° are critical degrees. Also I have read, that Sun´s degree can show a very important event in life, which will happen at that age where that degree is. But it means, that only when You are young something very important will happen? :)) Or maybe it means, that Your first the most important event will occur at that age.
Even though for me it suited well, I doubt about this theory. My sun is 12° in scorpio and when I was 12 years old I´ve lost my both grandmothers in 2 months apart. It was the biggest tragedy in my life so far. But I think it´s just a coincidence.
July 24, 2019 at 13:16
"I don´t really pay attention... perhaps only degrees of exaltation, but even there I only remember Sun and Moon by heart, without looking it up..."

I always remember the Vedic degrees of deep exaltation and debilitation for Jupiter, because (of course) my Jupiter is at the Vedic degree of deep debilitation, where Jupiter is at its absolute weakest, according to that system: 5 degrees Capricorn.

I´m not going to dispute that...

There are also "critical" degrees, that are not anaretic degrees, although I don´t know if I fully understand why they are critical. I have read that they are more "sensitive", whatever that means exactly.

I have my ascendant at 13 degrees Libra, which is considered a critical degree for cardinal signs, along with 0 and 26, I believe.

My Pluto is at 0 degrees Libra, which would also make it either critical or anaretic. (Not sure how the anaretic degrees change according to modality.)

Your opinion on these critical/anaretic degrees, YC88?

Easier, harder, stronger, weaker, or just points of greater emphasis?
July 24, 2019 at 12:49
(Aries) astro-flame » fishscales
"I don´t think I had ever heard of Royal and Destructive degrees before"

yeah, the Avestan school is one of the lesser known one. It was founded by a Russian astrologer Pavel Globa based on his research into ancient Persian and Zoroastian texts. I added it just to show the great variety of systems. Just like the symbolic systems, actually.

"This dampened my enthusiasm a bit" - great way to put it! :44: I felt the same way about both Sabian Symbols (which I still look up, but much less often) AND about specific degrees. Other than anaretic, which are easy to remember (0 and 29) I don´t really pay attention... perhaps only degrees of exaltation, but even there I only remember Sun and Moon by heart, without looking it up...
July 24, 2019 at 12:40
(Aquarius) Leo Moon » fishscales
It does show I was paying attention to what You wrote.

Ummm...diligent is he. (Says Yoda)
July 24, 2019 at 12:38
I love when things are inadvertent!

Sabian symbols.....only a musician gets that joke!
July 24, 2019 at 12:18
(Pisces) fishscales » Leo Moon
Wow. Don´t know how I never made that connection.

Embarrassing. :6:
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
July 24, 2019 at 12:00
Ha ha. You wrote Sabian Symbols.

Sabian is a company that makes cymbals.

Love the word play!

Couldn´t help but comment. :2: :4:
July 24, 2019 at 11:51
Thanks for this answer YC88.

It´s similar to the answer I envisioned giving, but sometimes I just can´t resist the silly.

Also, I felt the question was better left to someone a bit more proficient in astrological knowledge in case I didn´t cover all the bases.

Case in point, I don´t think I had ever heard of Royal and Destructive degrees before.

Regarding the Sabian Symbols:

I was very interested in them for a time. I found that other systems of degree interpretation through psychic vision also existed as well, however. This dampened my enthusiasm a bit.

But then again, each psychic may interpret the same thing differently, and since such systems are built on symbols, use different symbols to represent similar concepts.

I still refer to the Sabian symbols, as well as the other systems, from time to time. Interesting if nothing else.
July 24, 2019 at 11:34
Well it added levity.

Not everything has to be all serious.

Life is too serious to be all serious all the time.

Those cds may make good targets for skeet shooting.

Try aiming 8 degrees to the left. Pull! :4:
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
New Moon in Cancer Cancer
Show calendar »