Music Taste in the Birth Chart

June 22, 2022 at 01:04 (UT/GMT)
(Aries) cierra
Music Taste in the Birth Chart
I´ve only recently started researching a bit about the correlations of music taste and astrology, but it´s quite difficult since it´s not a subject that´s brought up considering how niche astrology already is.

>>> So, just out of fun and curiosity: how would you describe your music taste, and what placements and/or aspects would you say is indicative of it? <<<

From what I´ve seen online while poking around, people tend to associate their Moon and Venus placements with their music taste. However, I would´ve naturally assumed it would be Mercury that had the most "influence."

Speaking from my own anecdotal experience, my Aries stellium (which also includes Moon and Venus retrograde coincidentally) is a sign of my natural inclination towards fast and heavy music. From the moment I was a conscious rock music has been my favourite genre. But, my chart ruler, Mercury, falls in Pisces, which I believe softens the brashness of Aries. I can´t get into super heavy metal like Black Metal or Death Metal despite trying to. Or, even if I like certain songs, they still aren´t something I naturally gravitate towards. I also can´t stand most pop-punk since it sounds very nasally and whiny. (I prefer deeper vocals.) My sweet spot is in more dream-pop, shoegaze, ethereal EDM stuff, where everything is so drowned in delay and reverb that it sounds more like a distant memory than a song. I also don´t pay attention to lyrics most of the time, but I do deeply appreciate short and poetic lyrics. I do also like some noise music when I´m feeling a bit eccentric.

Posts in topic

Page: 2 1
Sort posts:
June 23, 2022 at 09:40
(Taurus) Rosincvist » cierra
24 dg. of the Cardinal signs are the evolved Musical Ability folk.
15 dg. of the Cardinal signs is kind of suicidy and has Musical Ability!
End of :175: and end of :181: is/are fixedly musical no matter the day or the hour!
Music is one of the excess aptitudes at 16/17 dg. of the negative fixed signs.
The tribal craftsmanship of :159: involves music without question!
Hearing, Oratorical Ability, theatre, are also given degrees of the Zodiac according to Chas E. O. Carter.
June 23, 2022 at 05:43
(Aries) cierra » Aren Levi
as a fellow Aries moon, we do have impeccable but underappreciated taste and quality haha. Classic Rock has always been one of those genres i can appreciate even if i don´t gravitate towards it naturally. Black Sabbath has a soft spot in my heart tho :3
June 23, 2022 at 05:41
(Aries) cierra » lyrlc
ahh thank you for the recs, i really appreciate it! I love most of these bands or have heard of them. Currently on a Slowdive and Whirr binge, i can´t get enough of it.
I also recently got into Fiona Apple, her music and backstory are so fascinating, one of the few artists who´s lyrics i actually pay attention to lol.

will definitely check out the other artists as well. I rece rly beard of stereolab but haven´t gotten the chance to listen to their stuff yet.

I also highly recommend Airiel, Glare, and Nothing for more shoegaze stuff. their songs are constantly on repeat for me!
June 23, 2022 at 05:13
(Virgo) Aren Levi
I love 80s + 90s Rock

Rolling Stones, ACDC are my jamm

I would say my Moon in aries ( Bharani nakshatra ruled by Venus ) - Rock but with taste and quality.

:37:
June 23, 2022 at 01:21
(Gemini) FOWL » Wolfmoon
It sure is music... or the choir of birds heralding the sun´s rise and the Sun´s set....
June 23, 2022 at 01:11
(Aries) Wolfmoon » cierra
"Still cant wrap my head around you not liking music in general though!"

My vedic rising is Sravana which is is so.bolised by the ear. Maybe there´s a correlation there :63:
June 23, 2022 at 01:09
(Aries) Wolfmoon » FOWL
"My astro teacher is always saying God is in the silence... everything else is just noise... but then he chants to try and reach that silence.... it´s complicated!"

I get that. My whole life I´ve preferred the sound of God (Nature). I´ll stand in a storm to listen to the thunder, listen to the rocks getting pulled back into the ocean, the rustle of the leaves in the trees. For me, that is music.

"But really... if you think about it... Astrology is just music on a VERY long time-frame.... dig that syncopation!"

Electricity, Astrology and Music. All very similar and all three ultimately can be wound down to frequencies
June 23, 2022 at 01:04
(Aries) Wolfmoon » LotusStar
""In the end I like music that makes me feel."

This! :37:"

This is what I´m missing
June 22, 2022 at 23:12
(Gemini) FOWL
I feel like it´s worth noting that ANYTHING in a chart can wind up indicating one´s interests. Like Venus is definitely the first go to for any artistic interests, but ANYTHING can come into play. For instance... maybe someone has a Mars-Moon aspect, and deals with a lot of anger issues, and they find mellow music to be calming for them. Maybe someone has Mercury and other things dominated by Air signs, and just gets off nerding out to Matchcore. Really, anything in a chart could come into how someone likes music. One could have Moon and Mercury in Cancer and just love the music that reminds them of their youth, whatever that may be... the combinations are endless.
June 22, 2022 at 23:03
(Aries) lyrlc » FOWL
so exciting!! can´t wait to check it out, thank you :1:
June 22, 2022 at 21:53
(Gemini) FOWL » lyrlc
Buckle up... this is about to get insane!
This podcast is a primer and introduction to this rabbit hole which goes very... very deep. Good luck!

https://www.thehighersidechats.com/…
June 22, 2022 at 21:44
(Aries) lyrlc » FOWL
:22: siren mythology??! i don´t think i have! the only thing i´ve read about her life was on her relationship with jeff buckley.. really wild!!! he seemed to be absolutely captivated by her
June 22, 2022 at 21:35
(Aries) lyrlc » cierra
awesome !!

dreampop wise:
my favorites are beach house, cocteau twins, melody´s echo chamber, candy claws, asobi seksu, rumskib, and broadcast(kind of??).
for the dreamier dreampop, i´d say beach house, cocteau twins and candy claws(though candy claws can get noisy)
noiser dreampop would be melody´s echo chamber(kevin parker of tame impala produced her self titled album!), the rest are right in the middle i´d think. but i´d say must listens are beach house and cocteau twins!!

shoegaze:
my favorites are loveliescrushing, all natural lemon and lime flavors, my bloody valentine, slowdive, alison´s halo and whirr
some consider sweet trip shoegaze, but to me they sound like a mix of dreampop and shoegaze at times. really good!!

some people consider "slowcore" hand in hand with shoegaze but id consider it a bit different. my fav band ever is duster and they fit the category, though their discography is pretty varied! some shoegaze-ier songs, but mostly slowcore

outside of those genres, my favorites artists are blood orange, MF DOOM, kanye west, stereolab, crystal castles, pj harvey, kate bush, deftones, alex g, mitski, solange , elliott smith, lana del rey, fiona apple, the microphones and arca :22:
June 22, 2022 at 21:08
(Gemini) FOWL » lyrlc
Check out the music video for Golden Air... it´s absolute bliss!
https://youtu.be/FN1fTs15jD4

You dug into the Siren mythology yet on her? It´s a wild ride most people aren´t ready to take!
YouTube
YouTube
June 22, 2022 at 21:07
(Aries) lyrlc » FOWL
I absolutely love cocteau twins :75: !! I´m checking it out right now. thank you so much for the info omg I hadn´t heard about it
June 22, 2022 at 21:06
(Gemini) FOWL » cierra
Dig into Elizabeth´s past... a deeply traumatic life story... then you start to understand how what she does is heal... with her pain... put into music... heal everyone that listens to it.... She IS Chiron. She has Chiron in Pisces with a tight trine to Neptune..... I could go on... but she puts that pain and catharsis into the music in a mystical fashion.
June 22, 2022 at 19:54
(Virgo) LotusStar » rohini moon
"In the end I like music that makes me feel."

This! :37:
June 22, 2022 at 19:50
(Aries) cierra » Wolfmoon
Lol with MSM I can understand. There are very few popular mainstream artists I like myself, I always try to find more indie/bedroom artists when I can. (Bandcamp is really cool for this reason.) Still cant wrap my head around you not liking music in general though!

As for the BML-Chiron conjunction, I don´t work with BML often but I believe it is about untamed femininity. With Chiron, the conjunction seems malefic, so it could be something to do with being ashamed of that feminine side of you. But that´s most likely a stretch. Again, I don´t work with BML so disregard what I said if it doesn´t make sense lol
June 22, 2022 at 19:42
(Aries) cierra » FOWL
Ahh thank you!! The Cocteau Twins specifically, I have heard of them before but only recently started to get into them and other old school goth bands. I like the correlation with Chiron since I have a whole deep connection with Chiron and find it extremally fascinating. That totally changed the way I looked at them now. Will definitely check out them and the other artists you´ve shared more later on when I get back from work hehe.
June 22, 2022 at 19:33
(Virgo) LotusStar » Wolfmoon
"I know all MSM music is manufactured to affect thinking and programme the mind."

You know I can´t disagree too much with that :)

But true music is a beautiful thing, not the manufactured crap

Like sometimes when I see people free styling on the street, or when people come together and jam, and it´s just done in an organic way.
June 22, 2022 at 19:28
(Gemini) FOWL » Wolfmoon
My astro teacher is always saying God is in the silence... everything else is just noise... but then he chants to try and reach that silence.... it´s complicated!
I´ve known a few people like you who didn´t like music. When I was younger it blew my mind so much, I wanted to make a documentary about them.

But really... if you think about it... Astrology is just music on a VERY long time-frame.... dig that syncopation!
June 22, 2022 at 19:13
(Aries) Wolfmoon » cierra
"Possibly. I´ve also read online that the 1st house/ASC, and the 5th house, can be indicative of music taste as well"

Aquarius Asc but zi do have BML and Chiron conjunxt in the 5th. A weird energy I haven´t yet deciphered.

"I do find it a bit shocking you don´t listen to music though! How?"

It does nothing for me. I know all MSM music is manufactured to affect thinking and programme the mind.

I´d rather be lost in thought than distracted by noise :4:
June 22, 2022 at 18:19
(Gemini) FOWL » cierra
I´ll give a short selection to give a sense of the range of what I like.
First up, Frank Zappa Inca Roads. If you can get past the goofy lyrics, when he gets to the guitar solo, it is one of the most majestic and deeply moving things I´ve ever heard. He´s asking the big questions with his guitar, are we alone? What is the meaning of life? Is there a God? At least that´s what I hear there.

https://youtu.be/ozOE6bN1VWg

Next we have my current obsession Cocteau Twins... just... nothing is more spiritual, or brings such cathartic release... I don´t know how to describe what they do for me... but I pretty much have them on loop all day every day for the past 2 years... it just makes life so much better. It sounds chill and relaxed at first... but there is a transmutation of intense pain and suffering into pure healing power. Cocteau Twins are the EMBODIMENT of Chiron. Listen in that context.
https://youtu.be/zmCx0pUzLKM

Rheostatics are a Toronto band that I was obsessed with in my twenties, I befriended the band eventually going to shows, and their music means SO much to me. Just in their own repetoire they encapsulate just about all styles of music and tones of performance, from the hilarious to the profound. Their live shows are always a joy to go to... a family affair. This song in particular always felt like it was ripped out of my own subconscious. When I heard it I thought... Oh.. everyone must dream of stealing cars... it must be archetypal, as a child I had recurring dreams of stealing a car, then realizing I didn´t know how to drive and crashing.... turns out just me and Dave Bidini! ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch/…

And... Miles Davis... more specifically really for this, Keith Jarrett. It´s a long jam, I time stamped it to give you a build in to Keith Jarrett´s solo here... it´s one of the darkest, most intense things I´ve ever heard. It´s life and death... angels and Demons... it´s SOOO Scorpionic... I can´t handle it. Actually. I can handle it... I want to live in it. When I was younger I made an edit where I kept looping certain phrases so I could just crawl up inside it with my feet frying in hell and my mind in the clouds with god!

https://youtu.be/ldBfrcC1xcI?t=848
YouTube
YouTube
June 22, 2022 at 18:02
(Gemini) FOWL » lyrlc
Got any love for Cocteau Twins? Liz just released a new EP after decades of near silence and it is one of the most bone-crushingly beautiful things I´ve ever heard. Considering Cocteau´s considered the progenitors of both Dream Pop AND Shoegaze... if you haven´t dug in yet, enjoy!
June 22, 2022 at 18:01
(Aries) cierra » rohini moon
Really cool, I resonate a lot with what you said. I can still find certain things to appreciate in music I don´t particularly like, such as the skill or certain melodies. Having an eclectic taste is the best!
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Leo Leo
Show calendar »