Placidus houses and a matter of degrees

June 8, 2022 at 17:40 (UT/GMT)
(Sagittarius) Cosmette
Placidus houses and a matter of degrees
Hello!

I apologize for the ignorance if the answer seems simple or obvious (ie 6th house simply rules house of enemies and it´s not deeper than that)... but I was curious looking at my chart, seeing that my 1st and 7th house were not as wide as my 6th and 12th house.

It made it so that, not all Aquarians or Leos would fall into my 1st or 7th, and some Leos and Aquarians can fall into my 12th and 6th alongside Cancers and Capricorns.

Why is it a matter of the degrees for Leo and Aquarius that would change the relationship?

I´m certain in other houses that I have like 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 8th, 9th and 10th also have this occur, but I think my question is why is it that an Aquarius could be an enemy in the 6th, and another could be someone I care about in the 7th?

How do the degrees of those signs change the Aquarian and put them in either my 6th, 7th, or 8th? I understand in whole sign it would be a bit more clear cut, but with placidus not as much.

Thank you for any answers! I might need to read up more on how degrees perhaps can change a sign as well, but I am curious as to why some houses are also more or less wide than others. Answers don´t have to pertain to any of the particular houses or zodiacs I listed, I just used myself as an example :^)

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
June 9, 2022 at 05:51
(Scorpio) Graham
1st deacon Aquarians will fall into your 6th house. 2nd and 3rd deacon Aquarians will fall into your 7th house. ... https://www.thehoroscope.co/astrolo…
June 8, 2022 at 18:10
(Leo) TTTJJJ
OK. I don´t understand much about synastry and such, but the story with Placidus is that it is time-based quadrant house system. I need to roll back a bit in history here to explain this.

Originally, the house system was (Whole Sign), meaning each zodiac sign is a house on its own; And you can see that clearly used in some Hellenistic traditional techniques (e.g. Annual Profection), and even in some tablets from Babylon as I read once. In such system, wherever the ascendant falls, this is considered the first house, and then houses follow up according (counterclockwise) with each sign being a house. This system is also the default in Vedic astrology.

However, in some historical texts, there had been some variant systems based on the movement of the sun and these are called (usually) Quadrant systems. Because they divide the chart into quarters between AC, MC, DC and IC, REGARDLESS of the zodiac sign. One of such early system was Porfyry, where the division between each two angles (e.g. MC and AC) includes 3 equal houses. Later on, such division took a twist, as in for example Alcabitius system, where the time that the sun takes to travel from AC to MC is taken and divided into 3, and hence each house cusp is marked according to the hypothetical time that sun would take it to reach that point in the chart; This is time-based house system.

Placidus is time-based (came about probably ca. 17th century or so), and depends highly on the angle between AC, MC, DC and IC. Such system, though honestly I got some accurate readings from people using this system on my chart, imposes a problem for people born in higher latitudes, like Northern Germany and Scandinavia where the angle between AC and MC in some seasons is quite acute and it looks impractical to divide such space to thirds. Another problem is the big houses that encompass more than one sign (personally, I don´t know how they are considered in readings).

Some hints from ancient texts and techniques proposes that probably such time-based systems were used to decide the power of the planet (thanks to users in this forum for this info). In some texts, it is debated whether Dorotheus or Ptolemy did use quadrant based system as they seem to give a hint about it but the rest of the technique explanation was all done according to Whole Sign apparently.

One thing to notice that in such quadrant based systems (Placidus, Porfyry, Alcabitius) usually there is a rule that applies (not sure why but I see it often when I read about these systems) and that rule says: If a planet is 5 degrees away from the cusp of the next house then it is considered in that next house. Such rule doesn´t apply in Whole sign which is quite strict in that matter; If 2 planets are even 1 degree apart but each one of them is in a different sign, they are NOT considered conjunct. When checking your chart on astro-seek and would be using Whole Sign, you should be careful of this point because the aspects generated for the chart would eventually report that 2 planets are conjunct even if they are in 2 different signs as the case described above.

So, hope this helps you with your investigation.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Capricorn Capricorn
Show calendar »