Archetype of Wild man / Iron John

July 14, 2021 at 12:00 (UT/GMT)
(Aquarius) Catch-22
Archetype of Wild man / Iron John
I finished the book Iron John by Robert Bly, leaving a very deep impression of the connection we lack with the nature and our nature. Since I sincerely believe in Astrology as a kind of Jungian psychology, I wonder where to find this Wild man.

Is this :178: ? I find the link between :160: and Iron John a bit too far, although he is about might and power and transformation. Iron John is also about initiation. Is this typical for Pluto?

Or any other sign/planet that comes in mind to link to the Muladhara?

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
July 14, 2021 at 12:07
(Pisces) fishscales
"Or any other sign/planet that comes in mind to link to the Muladhara?"

Mars
July 14, 2021 at 12:15
(Pisces) fishscales
I remember reading some excerpts of Robert Bly in an old spirituality themed magazine that used to be around...this was probably in the early 90s.

If I remember correctly, he was pretty disgusted with the neutering of masculinity that was going on at the time, and how masculine energy in general was viewed as "dumb", primitive, crude, etc.

Wonder if he knew at the time how much worse it was going to get...
July 14, 2021 at 12:25
(Pisces) fishscales » fishscales
We are being taught these days that masculine/Martian impulses are something to be ashamed of...

Mars, like Pluto, is not an energy you want to stuff down...it will eventually explode in negative ways...

But alot of people are afraid to express their Mars in a healthy way for fear of being labeled as a "primitive" by the hypersensitive, easily "offended" culture that we are now living in...

These phenomena themselves are partially the result of thwarted Martian energy...
July 14, 2021 at 12:33
(Aquarius) Catch-22 » fishscales
It can be a lot worse too.

I don´t want to discuss big themes on World scale because it´s so sensitive. Just can´t tell for myself and my close surroundings we´re a world of boys, men that never grew up, although being physical adult men.

I started being aware of this, which meant A LOT for my personal process. Most men don´t realize they are actually boys. No awareness, no recovery and each generation not redeemed it gets worse.

I can´t change the world, I just can change myself. I kinda hoped my chart guided me that way but therefore I need to know which planets are the ones.

Archetypical Greek gods are both Dionysos and Pan. Pan being a remnant of the hunter culture where the animals and thus hunting was dominant in our mindset. Dionysos came later (like a Jacob the farmer that tricked Isaac in making belief he was Esau the hunter) when the Greek became agricultural. I thought both were not present in Astrology, just as they disappeard from our culture too... So Mars/Ares is kinda doubtful.
July 14, 2021 at 14:23
(Aquarius) Leo Moon » Catch-22
I put Apollo in there as well.

Pan is primal.

Dionysus is wild ,good times, Rock’n Roll, party.

Apollo is refined, scholar, justice ,athlete , sophisticated.

All three are present and important and need to be balanced in my view.
July 14, 2021 at 14:47
(Aquarius) Catch-22 » Leo Moon
A Dutch author, known in the Men´s Movement, Ton Van der Kroon, attributes Dionysos even to the sacral chakra, the lover.

Pan is indeed primal. His image is shamanic and even drawn on the cave paintings of Trois Frères in France. This is the Lord of the Animals, Pan for the Greek, Cernunnos for the Celts. Guillermo del Toro makes him the Faun that initiates the girl Ofelia to the magic kingdom.

I thought for a moment Lilith could be the point, but Lilith is uncontrolled, while Pan/Iron John is grounded and in connection to nature.
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
July 14, 2021 at 15:27
(Leo) plumreme
I haven´t read this book yet (want to!) but I´d look for a realized Wild Man in a man who either has naturally/natally a healthy Mars/Moon Uranus/Saturn or who has actively worked it out. A mars that is unabashed but not domineering, a Moon that is aware and expressive, a Saturn that is balanced and not taking over others but actively disciplined, and a Uranus that is uninhibited and can say ´f you´ to Saturn ... maybe Uranus teams up with Mars, and always connected to the Moon.
July 14, 2021 at 15:46
(Aquarius) Catch-22 » Catch-22
New try:

I´m kinda puzzled like this:
Muladhara, Wild man: Pluto/Scorpio??
Swadisthana, Lover: Venus? It´s actually about male archetypes...
Manipura, Warrior: Mars, Aries without a doubt.
Anahata, King: Sun, Leo
Vishuddha, Orator: Mercury, Gemini
Ajna, Magician: Uranus, maybe Saturnus, Aquarius
Sahasrara, Prophet/Saint: Neptunus/Pisces??

I´m not quite happy with Neptunus and Pisces. It´s about mystery and fantasy, but also deceiving, manipulation. Same for Pluto/Scorpio. And Venus´ signs Taurus and Libra are not the ones I associate with lover´s energy or hedonism in general.

Buggers...
July 15, 2021 at 02:08
(Taurus) Rosincvist
:10: The Cap-stone in the Drumming Circle that the "manly men" participate in is the "Screw Tent" where each man goes to an easy woman for "relief" from too much exposure to "manly men" :10:
July 15, 2021 at 06:00
(Aquarius) Catch-22
I had a thought this night. Maybe I shouldn´t look for parallels in those. Astrology is about pointing stars. Thus about understandable thinking, right from the neocortex. Iron John is about respecting your limbic system together with our reptilian brain.

Only Venus/love is a connection between those. Just like Freya was a Vanir living with the Asir in Asgard.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Virgo Virgo
Show calendar »