Square vs. Semi-square (octile)

October 5, 2020 at 04:27 (UT/GMT)
(Leo) Sunnyshadow
Square vs. Semi-square (octile)
Curious to see if anyone has an opinion about the semi-square. I have a couple in my chart that I have been overlooking. Trying to dig into it. I think the one I have between sun and mars is actually a pretty big player in my chart. Reading the description is pretty dead on.

One thing I read said that squares block energy and semi-squares do it even more. Just seeing if anyone has some knowledge on the 45° aspect

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
October 6, 2020 at 15:31
(Scorpio) Promethean_Soul » Sunnyshadow
Actually long time before i started to wait. I am serious and that is why Bernadette Brady´s comment drew my attention. :1:
October 6, 2020 at 15:19
(Leo) Sunnyshadow » Promethean_Soul
Yes, I think it does make for high discipline and perseverance. Maybe because there´s this gnawing desire to try and relieve the stress. So we go out and put our hand to the task in front of us. The only way to escape the agony :61:

I think in that way it´s similar to the square. I still think it´s an interesting concept you wrote about. Having patience in our trials may be the way to overcome it. Maybe it´s about finding balance between our desires and our fate..
October 6, 2020 at 14:30
Good information sunny thank you. In my chart this semi square made me very disciplined person and also i have great vision about future. But describe this aspect is not easy really. :1:
October 6, 2020 at 14:25
Thanks PS, that´s an interesting take on the :196:, I´m still a bit unsure about this one though. After finding so many in my chart, I´m beginning to find the reason (possibly) for my frustrations in life. Dont get me wrong, it´s not all bad, but there are definitely areas of my life where i do feel frustrated. Having EIGHT of these in my chart, seems to point to this having something to do with it. Here´s a couple of things I found describing this obscure aspect

The SemiSquare Aspect is where two planets are forty five degrees apart. This is related to the Square Aspect described above but it is only half the Angle. This is where the circle is divided by eight. Square Aspects tend to indicate energy that is blocked between two planets or parts of the individuals psyche. With the SemiSquare this energy appears to be even more deeply blocked and thus it manifests as external events. A person is forced to address difficulties in their psyche because these continually manifest as events in the outside world that need dealing with. With this fact SemiSquares can lead a person to great achievements as the energy of the Square is given tangible form in the external world. People with these aspects often develop great persistance, endurance and productive results in their efforts to control and reconcile these difficult combinations of energy.

And,

The semi-square is considered to be a minor hard aspect because it is thought to cause friction in the native´s life and prompt them to take some action to reduce that friction.

I do tend to experience a general uneasiness and restlessness in alot of areas of life. I guess that´s what blocked energy does. It forces me to look for ways to ease the tension. I think maybe the best way is not think about all this negativity, lol. Let me look at some happy aspects. Oh look, a grand trine :1:
October 5, 2020 at 21:06
Sunny i have saturn semisquare pluto and north node, in life always i get somethings very lately, and what makes me surprised when i read it about this aspect, we cannot do nothing and we just wait and see what happens. But this aspects teached me importance of everything in my life. And long time ago I quit having big expectations, then everything started to go in better way. Only this aspects are out of my control. Actually i dont like something is out of my control but i took this hard lesson at last.
October 5, 2020 at 20:50
Alot of good info the PS, I appreciate you sharing that. Alot of what was in there concerning the semisq. really resonates. I found myself relating to alot of it. It sounds like a very frustrating aspect. I have experienced my share of frustrations for sure. I have achieved things through sheer determination and gritting it out. But victories are usually hard won.

It makes sense.

My Aries moon doesn´t like being patient however, so the struggle is real. I liked the bit about the hecklers, that´s a good metaphor
October 5, 2020 at 20:37
(Leo) Sunnyshadow » MarvinReal
Yeah, I have a few of those as well :37:

I guess the octile and tri-octile caught my attention after realizing I have quite a few of them. 11 total

I can feel the Sun/Mars one pretty good
October 5, 2020 at 19:13
(Leo) Sunnyshadow » fishscales
Interesting, I´ll check that out. I didn´t think about applying numerology to the study, but that makes sense. Still trying to gain an understanding of this. Turns out, I have eight octiles in my chart, using planets and asc/MC. So, yeah, I probably need to spend some time looking at them. And three tri-octiles also.

I´ve been just reading the "square" description of the planets involved to get an idea of what is going on. Doesn´t seem like it would be as strong as a square, but similar. I like what PS wrote about the differences. Seemed to gain a little insight about how they manifest differently. Some of it isn´t the easiest thing to accept, but it´s nice to know anyway.
October 5, 2020 at 18:34
(Scorpio) Promethean_Soul
Sunny about differency of this aspects İ will share with you what Bernadette Braddy says in her book ´ Predictive astroplogy , Eagle and Lark´. I hardly like astrologers and she is one of my most favouritte astrologers. It will be long and sorry for that. She tells about these aspects as below

" The Square:

Key Principle : events, which are nobody´s fault are forcing you into a new type of action.
The square is the aspect of action based on tension. It is action born from frustration An event will occur for which it is impossible to blame anyone but results in you being forced into a mode of action that you have not yet explored.
It forces action in new areas. If your car breaks down and is off the road for a while, you may be forced to use public transport. You may not be familiar iwth this system of transport and find that you have to learn new information, time-tables, have to get out of bed earlier , and encounter a whole new group of people. All these things cause tension. It is impossible to blame anybody effectively and the results stimulate actions rather than decisions. When something, about which nothing overtly can be done , occurs, and as a result of this you have to take a course of action, which is new to you, you are experiencing square.
With transiting Saturn square the natal sun , your father could get ill, and as a result you have to stay home and look after him, thereby learning that you can cope with less time for yourself. The Uranus Venus example when placed through the lens of the square implies that you are placed in a situation where you have to be more out-going. You don´t just become more out-going, as with conjunction neither do you have a choice about it as with the opposition , but rather you find yourself being forced into new action.
The best approach to take with a transitting or progressed square is to roll up your sleeves and take the action being indicated by the events. "

"The Semisquare :

Key princible: frustration of action that leads to a null result.
The semi-square seems to have one purpose in life, and that is to teach patience and persistence. The semi-square in predictive work indicates that a great deal of frustration will occur if action is undertaken.
You encounter an endless array of obstacles and delays. If you try to push through one set of problems , another set will appear. Very little is achieved in that area of the chart while semi-square is in force. Our actors may experience this energy as hecklers in the audience; The Venus Uranus example might act out as sexual harassment at the office; the Sun Saturn combination as the tax department deciding to do an audit.
This aspect is like waiting for silt to settle in a pond. If you take action and try to pat it down, it get worse; walk away give it time, show pateince and the pond will clear. Blocks, holdups, frustrations, delays, and lack of achievement are all symptomps of the aspect. Controlled pateience seems to be the only answer , together with not trying to change the world while a semi-square is involved with your chart."
October 5, 2020 at 18:24
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user MarvinReal, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
I don´t use semi-square, because I can´t personally feel it. Quintile and bi-quintile are more interesting for interpretation. Also Quincunx. :195:
October 5, 2020 at 18:09
(Leo) Sunnyshadow » IIyyaarr13
That´s something to take a look at. I saw where one site had the applying/separating distinction to this aspect. I went back and looked, and I actually have quite a few octiles. Some are between my ascendant and planets.

I dont know why it wouldn´t be considered a viable aspect. Astrology aspects are basically geometric configurations of planets, angles, etc. I happen to like the 45° angle. It seems like a pretty significant angle in geometry. Now in astrology I know it´s a challenging aspect, I have my share of challenges for sure :61:
October 5, 2020 at 15:52
(Leo) Sunnyshadow » stigmí
Thank you Stigmí,

I found a few descriptions on the ´net just by searching for that particular aspect. I also read a few about :155: :194: :151: and they also resonated. There´s a good video on YouTube, Jewel Maybury does of Sun square mars, and there were so many "ah ha" moments.

I think it shares alot of similarities with the square. One thing that seemed to really stand out is that people with these hard aspects with sun and mars can be overly determined to do something just for the sake of doing it. Although it may not be in their best interest. A kind of ego drive it seems. Another thing is a physically demanding job. Or some way to burn off some steam. Although that´s not what I have right now. I get so sick of all the office work I have to tend to. I just want to swing a hammer or rip some boards or something. Lol.

You really hit on a few things with your analysis of my chart. I have trouble connecting all the dots to my chart. Guess it´s why I´m here, to learn. Thanks for the reply
October 5, 2020 at 10:45
(Pisces) fishscales
I don´t know much about it, but I think the semi-square is considered a major aspect in cosmobiology. If I have an accurate picture of cosmobiology, it is basically a modern astrology school that seeks to divorce itself from more traditional astrological principles.

Maybe if you looked into it, you´d find some interesting interpretations of the semi-square you don´t get on "most" astrology sites. Now, whether these interpretations are quality or bs I couldn´t tell you. You´d have to read and see if it resonates with you.

Being that the semi-square is a result of dividing a circle by 8, I´d expect the aspect to have something in common with the numerological 8 vibration, energetically.
October 5, 2020 at 07:44
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13
Reinhold Ebertin liked :196: & :197:, but not every Astrologer is Reinhold Ebertin! The aspect is sinister if the right hand planet is the faster one as viewed from the center of the chart. The aspect is dexter if the right hand planet is the slower one as viewed from the center of the chart.
Minutes of Arc to exact and applying and separating planets are important to consider! Harmonics 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, & 12 are partile, but 8 is never a member of that club!
October 5, 2020 at 07:20
(Gemini) stigmí
Why do you think?
I think you have many similar aspects in your chart : ) (not everything with blocking but similar energy...for example moon and its aspects, pluto 1st house, mars cancer on mc, dragon configuration, Leo planets square uranus....)
Maybe its just another part of similar theme in your chart : )

I have both, squares and semisquares and I feel more squares I think...
Where did you read some description? :74:

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Virgo Virgo
Show calendar »