The most similar and dissimilar signs?

September 9, 2020 at 09:13 (UT/GMT)
(Leo) Anni23
The most similar and dissimilar signs?
That you think have several of the same or similar characteristics? Not necessarily just because of shared element or mode. Give whatever reasons that you like based on your experience!

I´ll start by saying perhaps Taurus and Sagittarius..? As being quite similar

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
September 10, 2020 at 22:09
(Taurus) IntoTheVoid » fishscales
I can see a similarity to Taurus and Sagittarius, despite their obvious differences within the need for security and need for freedom.
They share a connection to nature and what is natural. But of course the elements and connections are different - fire is more spiritual, flighty and can spread quickly. Earth, although still spiritual in it´s own way, is more grounded and practical, calculated.
September 10, 2020 at 21:41
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13
Speaking from a :172: point of view Semi-sextile signs and Quincunx signs are the most different; :171: :173: :179:; I hesitate to report :177: as different because of :154:ial influence like :172:; Even though :172: :195: :177:
September 10, 2020 at 07:40
(Taurus) nutelina » fishscales
I agree with the first example, I was always wondering why I can´t connect easily with Sagittarius. When it is very probably that any fire sign or moon is square to my Moon I don´t even bother. It´s a challenge which is usually not even worth it.

The exception is Cancer moon but that one is usually square my Sun (which is square my rising sign). Even when not it´s often a too strong. I don´t know why that is...

I don´t agree with the opposition, there is a strong attraction because there is a natural tendency to complement and there are complementary signs like Aries and Gemini or Aries and Aquarius to take my own experience. But the most like in my opinion are of course the same group, earth, fire, water, air. But that´s just my opinion!

That said there is certainly something to the opposite as you describe! Maybe in the long term that is not the best ´match´. Another example of my experience so take it with a grain of salt: One of my first friends was Libra sun, Scorpio moon. I could learn a lot from him but I think if someone like him would have been a partner we would be too opposite. You have to have something in common. Esp. with my brother I can sense we can complement each other with his moon in Scorpio but not for long. My daugthers have their moons in earth like me and when we are together they first need to adapt but then we are very similar in our behaviour, liking our ease and comfort. My first also has the same rising sign so we are both ´homies´. However, again, my experience is, same sign can also mean competition, ie. too similar so you both struggle or even fail with similar challenges whereas someone with slightly different traits, say another type of the same family of sign would perhaps do better. Example is Cancer rising and Pisces rising or Scorpio rising.
September 10, 2020 at 06:20
(Leo) Anni23 » themagi
That´s interesting what you day about inconjunct aspects being similar in a disconnected way..? But do you think thst the signs in question gel together "naturally" in any way shape or form? Like they have a common goal that is symbolic of yheir respective signs

I think that I would agree with Libra and Pisces being similar in temperament and outlook on life, both being idealistic, dreamy and sensitive of others, "usually" depending upon other aspects

That´s interesting that you say libra and gemini as I´ve felt that a bit before too, but what are the reasons that you particularly think this? Well obviously as they share the element of air, but then also so does Aquarius but you didn´t mention that sign as well. I would say that I think that gemini can be more difficult though (and at times insensitive)

As for the last one I´m not sure I entirely agree as both Taurus and Aquarius have a fixed energy and can often be self motivated and stubborn and sometimes selfish or detached. Which can work out for the best sometimes though when they channel all their energy into a pursuit without being deterred by outside opinions.
September 10, 2020 at 04:56
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user themagi, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
My own observation of inconjuncts in charts doesn´t reflect two planets that have nothing in common. I see them as chaoticly connected.

My Mercury inconjunct Jupiter makes my Mercury VERY Jupiter-like in a haphazard way (inconjunct).

My Moon inconjunct Mars makes me quite aggressively indepnedent and somewhat grumpy (so unpolishedly mars, but still very mars)

Libra and Pisces I see as very similar as an example. Both are people focused (Pisces in a more hollistic way; Libra in a more social way). Both loving. Both artistic.

My Mercury square Mars impulse is to say most literature around sign relationships is really a bit dogshit. The signs are 12 parts of our psyche, if you will, and there´s nearly infinite parallels and connection you can make with one another.

But at the same time I trust there are good astrologers out there that observed some such connections as key or special.

-----------

To answer the topic directly, I think Libra and Gemini are very similar.

As for dissimilar...hmmm...i dunno......Taurus and Aqua?
September 10, 2020 at 04:16
(Leo) Anni23 » Promethean_Soul
Well I think that I would have to disagree with you a bit about Leo´s motivation as it is the ruler of house 5 which is only concerned with pure creativity, and possibly but not always drama. (I suppose I know this being one 😁 and being otherwise useless 😁) However yes Libra is very similar just they are more likely to want everything to be nice and perfect and may even work in interior design or fashion for this effect. Or maybe ballet or some "higher" art form like furniture design. All the other comparisons you mentioned are quite good.
September 10, 2020 at 03:55
(Leo) Anni23 » Anikey
Oh yeah I could see that about gemini and Aquarius. Although I haven´t met "too many" of either, particularly Aquarius other than my mother oddly. I like a lot of their characteristics but it seems that they probably do share a lot of both positive and negative characteristics like being unemotional, detached and extremely independent lol
September 9, 2020 at 13:46
(Pisces) fishscales » Anni23
"Although I think that I have to really disagree with Libra and Aries despite sharing a mode. I mean for one Libra is usually so much more easy going and Aries doesn´t seem to want to talk things through."

Maybe "similarity" is the wrong word...

Both signs depend on their polarity to define and balance themselves...as well as to probably reach their fullest potential...

Aries is thought of as the sign of "self"...but what does "self" mean when not in context with "other"? It becomes meaningless. No man is an island...

Libra is thought of as the sign of "the other" and partnerships...but just like Aries, the "other" is meaningless without the self... And partnership is impossible without the self as well...

So I´m not really talking about similarities in personality and expression, but rather a common theme...

I also think each sign can reaches its fullest potential by "reaching across the aisle" to its polarity and embracing and manifesting those qualities...

We´ve all heard that we are supposed to "transcend duality", yada yada... A sign embracing the qualities of its polarity seems to be a way of doing that...in principle, at least...
September 9, 2020 at 12:56
(Cancer) Anikey
Speaking from personal experience and the people I have known, the most similar have been Aquarius and Gemini.
I have least experience with Capricorns and Pisces so I can´t say anything about them :63:
September 9, 2020 at 12:14
(Scorpio) Promethean_Soul
İ think all signs are unique and very different from each other. They have some similar sides with each other for example i always think about virgo and Capricorn about working life but Capricorn is mostly related to carter and social status but virgo mostly to work and to serve. Aries and Leo similar energies but Aries is childish and for some selfish reasons but Leo is just to be loved by people and to enjoy. Taurus and Capricorn are materialistic, for taurus they want stable life for Capricorn it is indicator of high status. Gemini likes to learn because they enjoy with that but virgo likes to learn because it is for them duty. They must be perfect in their works. Sagittarius learn for widening his vision to understand universe better but scorpio learns deepest secrets because it must be ready for crisis and he must overcome of difficulties and criris with deeper knowledge under things which nobody can dare. Leo loves art because he wants to be king of scene. But libra loves art because she loves harmony and everything with nice and beautiful and this makes them happy.
September 9, 2020 at 11:30
(Leo) Anni23 » fishscales
Well I suppose I just said that as they both seem very "fixed" and stubborn and hold their ideas up highly. Even though I know Saggitarus is not actually a "fixed" sign. But they act very determined and tenacious which upon occasion I think Taurus does too. Neither change their mind easily and cannot be pushed into thinking anything slightly different. Though Taurus is probably more chill.

Oh how would you say that Taurus and Scorpio are quite similar? I think I can sort of see that.

Although I think that I have to really disagree with Libra and Aries despite sharing a mode. I mean for one Libra is usually so much more easy going and Aries doesn´t seem to want to talk things through.
September 9, 2020 at 11:23
(Leo) Anni23 » dani_mae1
Yes I think that could be part of it, but I´m not sure if it´s the biggest portion.. I mean though I suppose I mean to say that you if you have say one domiant sign/+ element may relate to someone else´s sign even if they don´t have the same sign, element, mode or planet because of some important characteristic, view or attitude. I guess that´s what I meant overall by this question. I suppose it is quite individual though and may in fact be a "combination of elements"

Also "in theory" mutable and fixed signs should be opposed but I don´t know if that´s always the case
September 9, 2020 at 11:02
(Pisces) fishscales
"I´ll start by saying perhaps Taurus and Sagittarius..? As being quite similar"

Hmm.. can´t say I agree with that. Taurus´ whole thing is security... Sag...not so much...more of a "take action now, ask questions later" type of energy.

They also have an inconjunct (150°) relationship. Signs with such a relationship are going to have no common ground. One of the reasons is that they do not share element, quadruplicity, or polarity. That´s why inconjuncts (quincunxes) are such notoriously difficult aspects in a natal chart. The planets involved just can´t relate to each other.

I´m going to say the signs that are most similar signs are those in opposition to each other: Aries/Libra, Taurus/Scorpio, etc.

The similarities are not obvious on the surface, but each sign contains the shadow of its polarity within itself. They are different expressions of the same axis, ie, they share a common thread.
September 9, 2020 at 11:02
(Leo) Anni23
Just for an example though of two signs that hypothetically should be more similar because of sharing a planet and mode- gemini and Virgo I think are very different.

But then the shared element of water in particular I think that I can always sense. And also the other elements to an extent. Of course this is easier if people have one element that is pronounced more thab others within their elemental mix.

Also Scorpio I have felt is kind of similar to the fire signs obviously because of the rulership of mars
September 9, 2020 at 11:00
(Taurus) dani_mae1 » Anni23
I think the meshing boils down to modalities and sign functionality. But I’m only theorizing. Like fixed energies will probably fight or butt heads with other fixed energies, especially sun square energies. But, even then that’s rooted in projection because they have similarities at the end of the day. I just noticed that square energies are harder to overcome than opposition though.

Is there any particular sign you were thinking of? Maybe we can dissect it down.
September 9, 2020 at 10:55
(Leo) Anni23 » dani_mae1
Well yes there´s shared planets, then also shared elements and modes too which mean a lot of the signs overlap with shared characteristics. I am even starting to wonder if house placement could play a larger role in "absorbing" the house and energy that a is governed by a particular sign. As I have been feeling this I think for awhile with having active houses governed by water signs. But if particular houses are prominent does this mean a combined energy from the "natural" sign and the host sign? Eg say 7th house in Pisces with several planets located within. Is that a combined Libra-Pisces energy??

But then even having still considered that synthesis there are signs that just don´t "mesh" well together. So I suppose that´s mainly what my question is about
September 9, 2020 at 10:48
(Taurus) dani_mae1
I love this. I’m interested in sister sign energies because it’s intriguing to me that they are all basically two hands on the same body. But I’ve noticed it goes deeper. Like with signs and planets—meaning for example rulership of planets, such as Venus—Libra and Taurus have similar energies too. Then add in the exaltation placements like venus in Pisces and then you start to see how all the energies connect. To me it feels like there’s a common core amongst all 12 signs. Which makes sense to me in a round about way because our natal chart is divided into all 12 signs, and just because a planet isn’t in that sign or house doesn’t mean it doesn’t function in your chart. I don’t know if I’m conveying that well. I apologize if it’s confusing.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Virgo Virgo
Show calendar »