Alcoholism/Substance Abuse

July 31, 2020 at 03:36 (UT/GMT)
(Gemini) Fallen_Mage
Alcoholism/Substance Abuse
I was just thinking: what do you think could indicate a tendency towards escapism in the form of alcoholism or general substance abuse in one´s chart? From what I´ve read, a negative influence from :159: could make one prone to such unhealthy behaviours, but what aspects in particular tend to be troublesome? And what other influences/placements besides :159: could contribute to such behaviours? 🤔

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
August 1, 2020 at 23:27
(Leo) confident
:151: in 12th House

From my understanding any personal planet with aspects to neptune will indicate whether or not you have addictive tendencies.
Now i don´t know which aspects we should look for because if :159: is the planet of illusions then the positive aspects would indicate escapism/substance abuse and the negative aspects would indicate the opposite???
I have moon :194: neptune in the 12th house and i´ve been sober all of my life, never drank, never took a drug, nothing, but that´s just me!
August 1, 2020 at 12:08
(Taurus) Ladeeda
I´m trying to find examples of people I know who don´t have strong Neptune placements/aspects that would buck the trend, but I can´t find any yet.

My mother being a pisces with pisces mars did have a period where we noticed she drank a lot more. Those were during extremely hard times in our family. She still functioned but the increase was pretty noticeable.
My father, pisces moon square his gemini sun. He also has a bit of drinking problem in my eyes.

While I have 12th house and pisces placements, alcohol and drugs are a no-no for me. Smoked pot once in my life. My last drink was the week of my birthday this year when my brother-in-law made me cocktail. But I don´t drink.
I understand what gets one to go to alcohol and hard drugs and I try not to be arrogant enough to think I might not end up there, because who knows. I do have my own addictions (cigarettes) and escapist tendencies and habits (like maladaptive daydreaming if I´m not careful, even astrology and tarot). I agree with fishscales that the root causes of escapism are the ones that need to be faced first.
July 31, 2020 at 22:35
(Leo) RunnerChic85
I have sun trine my Neptune in the 6th house—house of daily routine. I also have Chiron right at the cusp of 12, or fully in the 12th in whole signs. I spent a lot of my early 20s drinking heavily—even though I was functional, even ran marathons and completed my masters degree while in a mental fog. When my first son was born I realized I needed to leave this fog that had become so comfortable for me so I could be fully present—and in being present and grounded, I realized giving into those Neptune urges was my way of escaping some painful things that were hard to address in my 20s. I’m in a much better place now that I’ve been slowly facing and working through those things I avoided when I was younger.
July 31, 2020 at 16:46
(Pisces) Nola_la » IntoTheVoid
>"Even positive influences from Neptune.
Pluto = addiction. I´ve noticed Pisces and Scorpio tend to be into substances. But any sign could as much."

Hahahaha (nothing funny about that, I know), Unfortunately, I have to agree with that. :117:

Pisces and Scorpio are usually the biggest alcoholics in the zodiac :43: - I can´t really see any difference in the way they do it, except that Scorps have stronger bodies for that "stuff". It is also interesting that both of these signs can be addicted and still leading an ordinary life, without major problems/consequences for years , often hiding the addiction from others

Water signs are so prone to substance abuse, but (almost?) only Pisces and Scorpios, I have never met Cancer with such problems... I´m not saying that it doesn´t happen to them, but it only confirms my theory that Cancer even as a very moody sign is still stable in its body and it looks that in mind too, although it makes a different impression...

My ex-chef had a very explosive character and he drank reaaally a lot... He often went to the bar after work, that bar was visible from the windows of the workplace...He didn´t care about that :3:

He was Libra on the last degrees (born 23 October) with Sun conjunt Pluto and Saturn - I´ve always seen him as a Scorpio person . He drank a lot, but I always had a feeling that he controlled it. I wonder what role Pluto and Saturn played here...Pluto is about control, but in the first place about obsession, I think it was Saturn - :157: stays him afloat...
July 31, 2020 at 15:47
(Pisces) fishscales » IntoTheVoid
I know you know this and I know this...but I just want to write this for any kids reading this, or anyone else who´s under mistaken impressions...

Drug and alcohol abuse is not always going to end with light at the end of the tunnel, or in some kind of positive self transformation...

It is far more likely to end in much different, far less desirable ways.

Nothing glamorous about it.
July 31, 2020 at 15:41
(Taurus) Milami
I have neptune sextile sun, neptune sextile pluto,neptune sextile node, also my moon is in pisces in 12th house along with saturn in pisces,mars is also there, but I hate alcohol,Im scared of drugs and I´ve never tried any drug, but everybody says I have predispositions to it,every astrologer who looked in my chart said that I should stay away from drugs and alcohol. Dont misunderstood me, I have the best feelings ever when I drink beer, when im tipsy I feel like myself, but my father died from alcohol abuse so I think I have a big fear beacause of that,also its hard on my stomach, I have pains day after drinking just one beer, so I just stoped, and drink just water,I just dont have a gut for that. But maybe something another in my chart points to why I dont drink.
July 31, 2020 at 14:15
(Taurus) IntoTheVoid » fishscales
Definitely...
Recovery also opened up a lot of healing for me, that probably wouldn´t have happened if I didn´t do what I did.
Including having faith.
It´s ironic how these things happen.
July 31, 2020 at 13:26
(Pisces) fishscales » IntoTheVoid
None of it should have happened in the first place, but I´m grateful for what the recovery process taught me about myself, and in certain ways, about life in general.

It also forced me to confront escapism in general, which goes deeper than the abuse of substances...substance abuse is just one of many symptoms of escapism...the one that gets the most publicity...
July 31, 2020 at 12:19
(Gemini) stigmí
:159: yes...but i thing also some bad aspected or lived jupiter or sagittarius, because this influences overstatement...
July 31, 2020 at 12:10
(Taurus) IntoTheVoid » fishscales
I did not know this about you.
It´s good to hear you´re 15 years clean, that´s incredible.
July 31, 2020 at 12:01
(Pisces) fishscales
I´ve definitely had my issues in the past.

Neptune opposite Saturn.

I was always a functional addict, and my main excuse for it being OK to use was that I would function better while I was using. And for a while, that was true. I even got a promotion at my old job in the midst of my addiction.

But illusions always break down. Eventually, I realized I was just "functioning" to get more drugs. I was a slave, and that did not sit well with me. I emancipated myself in a process that took about 2 years. That was about 15 years ago, and I´ve been clean ever since, outside of a couple of beers after work. (Alcohol was not the issue for me.)

The rest of my Neptune aspects are not that difficult, for the most part: neptune sextile moon, trine Mercury, and sextile Pluto. I do also have an exact inconjunct between Neptune and my chart ruler and dominant planet, Venus.

And as void said, Pisces does have a propensity for substance abuse and escapism.

I´ve read that Mars-neptune aspects can also cause substance abuse issues, and might make the mind particularly vulnerable to negative psychic influences churned up by substance use.
July 31, 2020 at 11:22
(Taurus) IntoTheVoid
Even positive influences from Neptune.
Pluto = addiction. I´ve noticed Pisces and Scorpio tend to be into substances. But any sign could as much.

Alyssa Trahan thinks Mercury has something to do with addiction and substance abuse. If it´s afflicted, your mind is afflicted, or you want to calm it down somehow.
July 31, 2020 at 11:03
(Cancer) Anikey
I have it, too, different astrologers have pointed it out, but just like dani mae, not sure which aspect specifically lends itself to such interpretation, so here are mine:

MCTrineNeptune
LilithQuincunxNeptune
ChironBi-QuintileNeptune

VenusTrineNeptun
NeptuneSextilePluto

The Neptune Sextile Pluto is common in both - I wonder if that´s it?

My Neptune is also in Sagittarius at 16 degrees, in my 2nd.
July 31, 2020 at 10:06
(Taurus) dani_mae1 » dani_mae1
Here are my Neptune aspects, I can’t pinpoint which one lends itself to addictions:

Neptune aspects
Trine Sun (6°16’, Separating)
Sextile Saturn (1°43’, Applying)
Sextile Pluto (1°07’, Separating)
Square MC (5°23’, Separating)
Opposition Node (1°18’, Separating)
Contra-Parallel Mercury (0°39’)
Parallel Uranus (0°34’)
Parallel Ascendant (0°26’)

The square and opposition might be it, and I don’t understand parallel or contra-parallel.
July 31, 2020 at 10:03
(Taurus) dani_mae1
I turned to alcoholism in my early years (sober and in control now for many years). I attribute this to my Neptune in the 29° of Sagittarius in the 1st house. I’ll need to check aspects (I just woke up and brain fog is real), but with how many opposition’s are in my chart there’s probably one with that.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2020
Moon calendar
Moon in Aquarius Aquarius
Show calendar »