Different types etc... of astrology

January 22, 2020 at 11:14 (UT/GMT)
(Taurus) dani_mae1
Different types etc... of astrology
What variation of astrology do you use and why?

I recently learned about Vedic astrology and my curiosity is piqued as to what methods everyone uses. When I googled this search I was overwhelmed with how much information there is, so I’m trying to see real life application and hopefully ask some questions and maybe firm up my learning path.

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
January 22, 2020 at 20:09
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user kanya29, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
I have recently started to study Jyotish astrology myself though I have always been interested since 2013 but very sparingly. I´m currently reading the Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra which is like the "bible" of Jyotish astrology. Also Sam Geppi´s "The Ascendant: The 108 Planets of Vedic Astrology" has been a really good help too. I take so many notes, study them. I am always learning something new and having fun with it. In comparison to "modern" astrology, there are TONS of info from Jyotish that just makes sense to me; especially the predictive techniques (i.e. Dashas). I also like how Jyotish has a strong Vedic philosophical foundation which imo is important to understand the attributes of planets. (i.e. Gunas).
January 22, 2020 at 18:57
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology
I practice Hellenistic Astrology. It has a lot in common with Vedic astrology and there was a lot of exchange between the two systems around 1800 years ago. Of course Vedic is sidereal and Western Astrology, including Hellenistic is tropical.

I am practicing Hellenistic Astrology because something was missing in modern astrology. There was just too much that was wrong. Modern astrology was too imprecise. Something was missing. In fact, it is not controversial to say that there was a rupture in astrological tradition. The techniques from the Hellenistic period did not make it intact into the modern era. In fact, most of them didn´t make it to the Islamic era of Astrology. When things started getting translated from Arabic and Persian back into Latin during the Middle Ages a lot was lost, and many of the Greek texts were lost. This is changing. A lot of the Greek texts have now been translated, so we have a better idea.

Obviously all things evolve, and so should astrology. However, I feel like astrology has not so much evolved but been cut off from its past. Alan Leo, at least it seems to me, pulled a lot of stuff out of his ass when he remade astrology

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Cancer Cancer
Show calendar »