The Yod Thread

July 17, 2019 at 01:38 (UT/GMT)
(Leo) HeavenSent
The Yod Thread
Hey AstroSeekers,

I´d like to propose a thread where we could compile what we know about the Astrological Yod, or, Finger of God (or, for those who have it, also sometimes known as God Giving You The Finger).

A Yod aspect has two planets in Sextile to each other, and both are in Quincunx aspects to a third planet, creating a large "Y" formation across your chart. The third planet, which is stimulated by the first two, becomes the apex of the configuration.

Another sensitive point is the degree exactly opppsite the apex planet. It is considered a degree of activation.

The Yod is an under-researched aspect, and so I am thinking we might be able to all help each other out, and the astrological community more generally, by compiling information and personal observations.

So please go ahead and contribute experiences and insights... I will too, now and then.

:27:

:17: :74: :17: :74: :17: :74:

Posts in topic

Page: 2 1
Sort posts:
July 27, 2019 at 18:12
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
July 27, 2019 at 17:56
(Leo) HeavenSent
Hey Yodders and Yod Observers,

I´ve neglected this thread for a bit... But I would love to keep the discussion evolving.

Here´s a question:

When the Apex Planet is in House I, I find it harder to interpret, since House I can cover.... well, everything, in a way.

If anyone has insights or ideas on a House I Apex, I´d love to hear them.

Please feel free to use my chart as an example.

A Note: My Saturn Apex is in House II in the Placidus chart. However, it is Retrograde, and Rx planets are felt in the previous house. This is very much the case in my life, so please interpret it as a House I Saturn.

:92: :108:
July 20, 2019 at 15:44
(Leo) HeavenSent » fishscales
Greetings, Fellow :108:,

If you haven´t felt your Yod kick in, I say so much the better. :15:

In learning about Yods, I have come across the opinion that Yodders tend to lead lives wherein the second half is radically divergent from the first half, and that Yods typically get activated (by transit or progression) around mid-life.

This certainly resonates with my experience. I´m 50. My insane and devastating Yod (as in, you literally could-not-make-this-stuff-up that my life has been since 2015, but which was relentlessly "brewing" since 2008) was triggered, as far as I can tell, first by a Saturn transit conjunct my Natal (Yod factor) Pluto in 2008, and then again, in 2015, by Uranus transiting Aries triggering my Natal Saturn Yod Apex. There is always the possibility, too, of course, of any number of "aggravating"/"contributing" factors among asteroids and progressions, etc. (which I haven´t looked into, as I don´t really need any further corroborating proof that my Natal Yod exploded; real life having been been far more than emphatic).

However, this premise that the Yod erupts mid-life cannot be a hard and fast rule... Other Yodders clearly have experienced the impact in childhood, just for instance. Malala, whom I mentioned above, is an example. At age 15, she was shot by the Taliban just for being a girl striving for an education, further to which her life continued to spiral on in completely unfathomable ways. (Deeper and deeper into The Yod Zone, I would say.) Malala is now 22. Let´s resoundingly knock on wood that 15 was NOT the half-way point of her life.

Re:
>>> I don´t really pay much mind to transits; I think doing so interferes with my ability to "take it as it comes."

Me, neither. I only figured out the transit triggers when sleuthing in retrospect, after I had discovered the Yod in my Natal chart last year, by which point it had already detonated. I get you. I, too, value taking it as it comes. (That said, I do anxiously examine my solar returns -- anxiously, because my life has become one big perpetual Saturn Apex Yod hell of trauma and of fear for the safety of the person I love most, who is living in the custody and control of a mentally ill violent pedophile. I am worried to death about this small person, and completely numb, for the sake of survival*).

I think your analysis of your Yod is very interesting, and really well done. It makes plenty of sense to me. And you wrote that it´s kind of a mess, and not linear. But I thought it was just the opposite. Flowing and clear. Like music.

:64:

:108: :108: :108: :108: :108: :108:

* In The Yod Book, brilliant Dutch astrologer Karen Hamaker-Zondag cautions against succumbing to the traumatic overwhelm wrought by Yods. Unfortunately, easier said than done. I am struggling to apply her sound advice.
July 20, 2019 at 13:11
(Pisces) fishscales » HeavenSent
You know, if I do have a yod, I honestly can´t say whether it´s been "activated" or not.

I don´t really pay much mind to transits; I think doing so interferes with my ability to "take it as it comes."

What I can say is that my current relationship/life situation seems to embody some aspects present in the signs/houses/planets involved in the possible yod.

Uranus in Libra represents non-traditional relationships, and mine can be considered somewhat non-traditional since I´m raising two stepkids in addition to my biological son.

Uranus is inconjunct my 6th house Pisces sun, which tells me that my "untraditional relationship" is related to making an adjustment involving my sun´s need to serve (6th house) something greater than myself (Pisces.)

8th house Mars in Taurus is linked by sextile to my sun, so my service oriented 6th house sun has the potential to harmonize with Mars to act on (Mars) and serve the security and stability (Taurus) of others.

Finally, Mars is inconjunct my Uranus, showing that an adjustment needed to be made between acting on behalf of the stability of others and my need (?) to "embody" the principles of a non-traditional relationship represented by my first house Uranus. Perhaps this adjustment was helped along by the Sun/Mars sextile.

Uranus, the sun, and Mars rule my 5th, 11th, and 7th houses respectively. All these houses seem to represent themes highlighted by the inconjunct: children (5th), friendship and service to the collective (11th), and relationships (7th.)

Reading this back, this "interpretation" is kind of a mess... First time I´m trying to put it together in a linear way.
July 20, 2019 at 02:51
(Leo) HeavenSent » zodicat
@zodicat

I concur about the Apex planet being the fastest-moving (from my own experience).

Thank you so much for your long and detailed post!

I´ll return later with more thoughts, and will continue reading through the thread.

:64:

:108: :108: :108: :108:
July 20, 2019 at 02:45
(Leo) HeavenSent » fishscales
Hi Fishscales,

In my experience and observation, the Yod can "work" just as strongly with less than exact orbs. A few degrees of leeway doesn´t seem to "water" it down.

However, I would have expected a Yod with apex in your I House, and with Uranus, Sun and Mars to impact you quite intensely, and that doesn´t seem to be happening / to have happened yet. Have you ever looked for past triggering transits to see what happened?

Your interpretation of the meaning of your Yod, based on the houses and signs, is interesting, and sounds valid.
July 20, 2019 at 02:34
(Leo) HeavenSent » HeavenSent
Malala Yousafzai, Pakistani activist for female education and the youngest Nobel Prize laureate is an example of a Jupiter Apex Yodder:

Malala´s natal chart has a Jupiter apex Yod. She is experiencing a classic Yod life, in that her life went, overnight, from "normal" to stratospherically altered, where she was singled out by the cosmos to play out a fated role, called upon to contribute to humanity.

Her Jupiter apex Yod was launched when she was shot in the face in an assassination attempt -- not a measure of luck or blessing by anyone´s standards. Although at the same time, the fact that it was a failed assassination is very Jupiterian (Jupiter is the Guardian Angel who swoops in to rescue at the 11th hour). Then, following that life-altering event, she has gone on to do major humanitarian work, and win the Nobel Prize, still as a teen. And she is now studying at Oxford, I believe.

There are a number of sites that discuss Malala´s astrology, by the way. This one addresses the Yod:

http://www.astromanda.com/yod-in-as…

This page also has the deeply tragic and disturbing story of another Yodder, American journalist and martyr, James Foley.
July 20, 2019 at 02:29
(Leo) HeavenSent » Olenna
@Olenna

I really appreciate your post. And I can very deeply relate to having to deal with it every single day and the Yod being nowhere near resolved.

My Yod also engages Pluto, and I concur that it adds weight -- massively. And yes, it imposes the hard way.

It seems that most astrologers disagree with the evolutionary minority that contends that a Yod must have a Pluto apex. From considerable experience and observation, I also disagree with that view. But yes, a Pluto Yod detonates Plutonian caliber events.

But so, too, does a Jupiter Yod bring massive-scale events. And Jupiter does not always bring blessings. It can also make a bad situation immeasurably harder.
July 20, 2019 at 02:05
(Leo) HeavenSent » rohinivenus
@rohinvenus

I don´t grapple with sidereal (I look at the standard tropical placements).

What have you observed so far -- if anything -- in terms of your Yod?

The standard contention is that asteroids (and angles) don´t "count" for a Yod formation. However, some people feel that the more "important" asteroids or planetoids -- like Chiron and Lilith -- do count... So, this is an area of controversy and discussion.

The bottom line is the chart-holder´s experience. If your life takes a turn into Yod Zone, you´ll know it. I guarantee it.
July 20, 2019 at 01:58
(Leo) HeavenSent
Thank You, Everyone, for making this thread come to life.

I truly feel that a support group is needed for us Yodders.

When a Yod is activated, it typically knocks the Yodder off their feet, and slams them into a completely different life experience.

Of course, the magnitude of impact and suddenness can depend on the given planetary involvements... Uranus and Pluto, as well as Mars, Saturn and Jupiter are obviously the biggest heavy hitters here.
Login
(Log in)
July 20, 2019 at 01:45
(Leo) Sunnyshadow » fishscales
I have kind of a loose Yod with Pluto, Neptune and Chiron. The inconjuncts are 3° and 4°. The sextile is less than 1°. Chiron is the pointy end.
July 18, 2019 at 23:23
(Pisces) fishscales » zodicat
Good info, thanks for posting.

I like the projector screen analogy.

In your opinion, would this mean that the energies of the apex planet are driving the yod, and influencing the expression of the sextile?

I´ve always viewed the purpose of the aspect as the sextile having to integrate itself into the energies represented by the apex, or focal planet, or the apex planet "funneling" the energy of the sextile in a new direction.
July 18, 2019 at 17:23
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user zodicat, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
my younger daughter´s:
Login
(Log in)
July 18, 2019 at 17:22
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user zodicat, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
for compilation´s sake (aka what I know):

the faster the apex planet, the more influential the yod will be (sorry pluto apex holders). in fact, traditionally speaking, a yod is only a yod if it is formed by three of the innermost seven planets and the apex is the fastest of the three

by my own experiences and observations, though, I tend to not agree, but yet I realize the difference between the power inherent in a true yod and the subconscious subtleties involved in those within my own chart

a true yod, as described traditionally, is so rare and so would be the one who has it upon one´s nativity

the sextile of the yod is sometimes referred to as a projection screen, meaning that with the reasonable amount of effort required of the lesser major harmonious aspect to be realized consciously, the native is able to channel, through the finger of god (which is a synonym for the apex, not the entire configuration) the manifestation of one´s desires into the physical plane more directly and more efficiently than most anyone else

the popular story "firestarter" could be envisioned as a mars finger for a jupiter-saturn screen

i even sometimes wonder if the mythologies of succubi and incubuses are a result of encounters with people who had a venus finger for mars-jupiter or jupiter-saturn screens

i´ve seen it theorized that crowley´s moonchild predictive writings are an allegory for what he saw in the possibilities of a moon finger for a venus-jupiter screen

one of noel tyl´s volumes contains an examination of the yod, and is definitely work looking up for anyone interested, whether you agree with traditional limitations or not

As far as my own personal experiences go, I don´t have much interest anymore in sharing for what may be sharing´s sake or for the sake of socialization. If any one cares to interpret the meaning of the yods in the charts I´ll post, I will gladly share my thoughts on how far one has come and/or has yet to go on a path of understanding.

mine (if we´re going to include asteroids and lunar orbit points of interest):
Login
(Log in)
July 18, 2019 at 12:41
(Pisces) IleneTs
Also interesting is the fact that if you have a Quincunx in the chart, a temporary Yod is sometimes formed by transits and/or progressions.
July 18, 2019 at 10:54
(Sagittarius) Sus » HeavenSent
It fits perfectly :4:
July 18, 2019 at 01:04
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13
You love Astrology too much!
I checked Serennu asteroid Ephemeris and you have :159: at Star speed, Whitley Strieber has that, he meticulously avoids saying ´alien´ as much as the word "visitor" because of the burden of proof issue!
The strong aspect you have to :157: is :157: :193: :153:; Trine is the 4th or 5th major aspect, that Astrological investigators sometimes just don´t use because they only want what performs on command predictably!
Modalities are more proveable than Elementals!
July 17, 2019 at 22:26
(Leo) HeavenSent » Sus
Wooohoo! You´re the first person to use the term I invented --- "Yodder"!

[does Happy Dance :75:]

Maybe it´ll catch on, and that will be my great contribution to humanity... lol.
:44:

Gotta run... but I´ll be back later, with more thoughts (serious thoughts) for for this thread. TY!
July 17, 2019 at 17:07
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » Sqwishie
System message: Post has been written by user Olenna, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
I give it a 2 degree orb at the most. It is a minor aspect, all minor aspects must be in tight orbs to have any influences, and they have to be in signs that are actually inconjunct to each other, no out of sign inconjunctions or sextile in that yod.
July 17, 2019 at 16:19
(Scorpio) Sqwishie » Zephyrin
From what I´ve read it must contain a celestial body. Ascendants same rules with stelliums.
July 17, 2019 at 16:16
(Scorpio) Sqwishie » rohinivenus
The same website said the same thing about mine. But upon researching the topic some I came across a frustrated astrologer because the website was telling people they had yods, even in fact it´s supposed to be within 3° and theirs are up to 5°.

Like yours mine is a 4° orb.

Can someone verify this?
July 17, 2019 at 13:41
(Leo) Zephyrin
I have a strange Yod containing Ascendant, North Node, Saturn and Mars.

I read in some sites that Yods doesn´t include Ascendant.

What is your idea?
July 17, 2019 at 12:31
(Sagittarius) Sus
I have two of them. Moon/pluto/neptune involved with MC conjunct pluto
Mars/north node/Chiron also.
So there´s a deep and painful issues and changes along my way that masters me to a inner growth
Yodders are the bearers of inner wisdon and spiritual achievement making them healing cruzaders.
That´s my insight
July 17, 2019 at 12:25
(Pisces) fishscales
Interesting topic.

In my chart, I´m on the fence as to whether I have a Uranus/Sun/Mars yod or not.

I´ve always thought the 2 degree orb for inconjuncts is a little stingy, but the 4 degree orb separating the possible inconjunct between my sun and Uranus may be pushing it.

The interpretations I´ve read of the aspect seem to fit though.

If it is a yod, I´ve thought about the possible interpretation a little bit, but it´s still pretty vague in my mind to say the least.

Something about integrating the inner need for selfless service (6th house sun in Pisces) and my ability to act based on knowledge others´ values and motivations (8th house Mars in Taurus) with personifying, embodying, or being a vehicle of expression for revolutionary, unique, non-traditional relationships. (1st house Uranus in Libra.)

Would be curious to hear others´ observations about any of this. :74:
July 17, 2019 at 11:25
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user Olenna, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
I have a powerful Yod involving Pluto, Chiron and Neptune, all relating to transformation and healing. I say powerful because Pluto is involved, according to evolutionary astrology a Pluto yod is a lot more difficult and it`s supposed to be a true yod if Pluto is at the apex, i don`t necessarily agree but Pluto adds weight to everything. Very powerful lessons to learn the really hard way, and with Chiron involved a life long process to understand and maybe master. I had to discover my blind spots with this, and adjust the energy every single day without rest, i`m nowhere near solving it.
« previous  next » »|
Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Leo Leo
Show calendar »