Poorly named Outer Planets and mythology

June 3, 2019 at 14:39 (UT/GMT)
(Scorpio) ancient_astrology
Poorly named Outer Planets and mythology
Did you know that the planet Uranus was originally planned to be named "George", after King George and then Herschel after it´s discoverer? Finally, Uranus was used to be sort of consistent with the other Roman names for the planets.

My point is that people who try to make a overly strict association between the planets and their mythological namesake are going down the wrong path. This should be apparent. There is very little commonality between Uranus and astrological qualities given to that planet by modern astrologers. In fact, Richard Tarnas has correctly stated that a more appropriate name for the planet would be "Prometheus".

This naming mechanism proves itself even more ridiculous when it comes to the planet Neptune. Go read up on Neptune, then look up the astrological qualities of that planet and you´ll see what I mean.

The ancient astrologers felt that the INNER PLANETS had some affinity (not identity!) to the gods they were named after.

Of course those who named the modern invisible planets weren´t working along that scheme. The argument that the names given to these outer planets and their astrological associations is synchronicity IS JUST PURE BUNK!
Like I said, go and look at some of the qualities of the gods "Uranus" and "Neptune" and get back to me.

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
June 5, 2019 at 04:54
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13 » Leo Moon
Eighteen degrees :175: :152: can´t be any better or worse than any other part of the Zodiac, someone called 18 evil with no explanation at Astro-Seek.
:175: 18 dg. is where I have :155: 2 days into Northern Summer so I took it personally!
What I would do if I was an Astronomer is give a Kuiper Belt object an Alfred Witte name like "Hades" or "Cupido" just for the Hell of it!
Astrologers are using Haumea, Makemake, Sedna, and even a Chumash Indian name I forget because their are quite a few snowballs that are going to need Astronomer´s naming them in the Oort Cloud! :41:
:43: :63: :30: :62: :75:
June 4, 2019 at 09:28
(Aries) Cajun » fishscales
:4: :4:
June 4, 2019 at 05:11
(Aquarius) Leo Moon » IIyyaarr13
Gotta give a :15: for the Lovecraft reference!
June 4, 2019 at 04:19
(Pisces) fishscales
Uranus square Mars transit
Login
Picture attachments are visible to registered users only.
(Log in)
June 4, 2019 at 00:14
(Aries) Cajun » Cajun
The point is that you think King George and Co were so sadistic to make up a planet, only to mark the beginnings of war and also to give rookie occultists the ability to block off chunks of time (LONG ORBITS).....
After all who wants to give the Father of Time (Saturn) credit when his orbit is so much quicker.
Makes it eazy peezy with the ´collective´

hmmmm
June 4, 2019 at 00:09
(Aries) Cajun » Cajun
Oh I cant forget about Neptune

How does the quote go:
The man who discovered a planet with the stroke of his pen.

hahaha
June 4, 2019 at 00:06
(Aries) Cajun
See Chris Brennans latest chat with US astro historian.

They mention some astrologer predicting the civil war.

Well lets look at the charts

Hershel discovered Hershel in Slough when Hershel (Uranus) was in Gemini....ironically within 3 degree of USA Sibley´s natal Mars. There was also a Saturn/Mars conjunction in Uranus´ chart in Sagittarius, which is USA´s ascendant!
Hold up it gets better: transiting Mars on Sibley´s descendant on 4/12/1861?
3 degree orb from the URANUS "return"! :36:

So can we reasonably infer that URANUS IS JUST A SATURN/MARS CONJUNCTION?!
June 3, 2019 at 18:21
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13
H. P. Lovecraft called :159: & :160: Yith and Yuggoth before 1930.
The Babylonians counted the planets of the Solar System from the Kuiper Belt which means :156: gets to be the fifth of planets twice!
Eris the Goddess of Strife and discord didn´t get a planet named after her until actual strife and discord took place amongst astronomers!
June 3, 2019 at 15:39
(Pisces) fishscales
Interesting topic.

For my chart, "George conjunct ascendant" just doesn´t sound as good. Kinda sounds like someone whose outstanding quality would be picking potato chip crumbs outta their navel while watching TV. (No offense to anyone named George.)

I understand your reasoning, but for the sake of keeping it interesting, I´m going to play devil´s advocate here. (It´s my George conjunct ascendant) :

First off, you gotta admit, Pluto´s association with the god Pluto/Hades is pretty solid.

Let´s leave that one be for now. (After all, Pluto is officially not recognized as a planet anymore... but that´s a different conversation.)

Moving on to the other two...

Neptune the planet and Neptune the god do have their similarities: both are associated with water and the ocean. Neptune/Poseidon also created the horse, and I believe Neptune is astrologically associated with horses. Neptune/Poseidon was also a moody bastard, and that is a quality I believe is shared by Piscean/Neptunian people. Both Neptunes are also associated with the trident, a weapon known to destroy ignorance through the realization of the holy trinity, whether it be the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, or Brahma/Vishnu/Shiva. (Both representing, of course, exactly the same thing.)

Kabbalistically, Neptune is associated with the highest sephirah of the tree of life, Kether: the "last stop", so to speak, before entrance into the Absolute. Neptunian energy is of course associated with spirituality and transcendence.

Conversely, in Kaballah, Neptune is also associated with the lowest sphere of the Klipoth, or "hell." Neptunes darker qualities, deception in particular, can be seen to lead to the lowest realms of hell if one subscribes to the Kabbalistic notion that one of the "bodies of God" is truth. (The other being love.)

I realize I´m straying outside the lines of mythology here, but I thought it was relevant since Neptune is a part of Kabbalistic science, and what it represents in Kabbalistic science can, I believe, be associated with its astrological meaning.

Uranus is a bit trickier. In Greek mythology, Uranus was the sky God, and associations can be drawn between the astrological Uranus and the sky. (Uranus rules airplanes and an air sign, for example.)

In gnostic Kabbalah, the planet Uranus actually represents sex. He is the sexual electricity that fecundates the material womb of the Divine Mother (Gaia.)

However, the sex that Uranus represents is not the sex that is characterized by sensuality and the animal passions: it is the pure, transformative sexual energy that can only be expressed when the physical pleasures of sex have been transcended.

I often wonder if this is somehow connected to the Uranus castration myth. Uranus is castrated by his son, Chronos (Saturn, representing materiality.) Saturn represents limitation, and by castrating his father, Uranus, it would certainly seem that he limited his father from procreating in the usual, physical fashion. So, Chronos castrates Uranus and his genitals fall into the sea (Neptune), where they produce a great foam, and from that foam the Goddess Venus/Aphrodite is born.

What I take from this is that through the dissolution of the purely physical aspects of sex (the genitals of Uranus) in Spirit (the sea, Neptune), love (Venus) is born.

This is in line with various teachings regarding transmuting the sexual energy from an energy of lust into an energy of love in order to raise the Kundalini and attain liberation, Moksha, etc.

I think if we go a bit wider in looking for the associations between planetary nanes and their astrological meanings, we will always find that synchronicity exists on a wide variety of levels.

To me, why and how that is is the fascinating question.

Edit: Gnostic Kabbalists knew of the existence of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto long before they were discovered by modern astronomy. That is why the similarities between the modern planetary names and their Kabbalistic and astrological qualities and meanings is relevant.
June 3, 2019 at 15:33
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user ~Masha~, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
"Did you know that the planet Uranus was originally planned to be named "George", after King George and then Herschel after it´s discoverer?"

I am glad they didn´t do. :5:
June 3, 2019 at 15:28
(Sagittarius) goldenlion32
Thank your for sharing. I do have to laugh because I have North Node Aquarius and I don´t know anyone named George, but my child will tell you I used to call him Curious George all the time, and my bf, I call King George all the time and we make jokes about all the King Georges. I´ll even say, "Hi! I´m Georgia from Atlanta." Because I landed their a few times at the airport and North Node Aquarius.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Leo Leo
Show calendar »