Over lapping houses and progression houses

March 28, 2022 at 13:21 (UT/GMT)
(Virgo) Lor3112
Over lapping houses and progression houses
Hi I was wondering if someone could clarify a few things for me please?
I always thought my 12th house was Pisces, as the entire sign sits in my (rather large) 12th house, but I recently read that the house cusp determines the house ruler (which in my case, would be Aquarius). Does that completely discount the sign of Pisces, or do we have to take into consideration 2 signs if they’re overlapping in houses?
Also, when it comes to progressions/solar arc/solar returns, Do we consider the outer houses or the natal, when determining which house our planets are in? Eg, in my progressions my sun is in my natal 7th, whilst being in my progressed 6th. Which according to this site, is considered in my 7th...are the outer houses completely disregarded?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thankyou.

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
March 28, 2022 at 14:41
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com » Lor3112
System message: Post has been written by user Seanfhear, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
Probably here you are speaking of the "sidereal zodiac" calculation which people put it equal to "Vedic". Actually no; I use whole sign system and tropical zodiac. Whole sign system is the original house system that was used in ancient times even before the Hellenistic era. Moreover, I do learn some Vedic techniques and apply them to "tropical" calculation as well, and it works as well.

Vedic astrology is not or does not mean "sidereal". In fact, there are many sub-systems of sidereal calculations, and many of these systems were not invented in India (some are even European). The idea of the sidereal calculations is just to adjust or fix the zodiac by a specific number of degrees (called Ayanamsa) to compensate for some issues with the change in the axis of the Earth or the elliptic orbit of the sun not being a perfect circle and other astronomical issues. Tropical calculations on the other hand is mostly relevant to how we see the planets from our perspective and considers the beginning of the zodiac (0 Aries point) is the point in space where the sun crosses in the equinox on 21st March.

For this reason, expressions like "sidereal astrology" doesn´t make sense really. Proper term is "Vedic" or "Indian" astrology to reflect on the techniques and concepts of astrology related to India, but that doesn´t mean it MUST be done with sidereal zodiac. So, house system is not related to the issue of Vedic or Western. In fact, some Hellenistic techniques like the Annual Profection uses Whole Sign system to study the time of the individual.
March 28, 2022 at 14:28
(Virgo) Lor3112 » Seanfhear
Thankyou For the reply. I don’t think I’ve ever used the whole sign system before so I’ll check that out. The placidus definitely works for me in relation to my personality, issues I have and situations that have occurred, (more so than the Vedic system), so I’ve always used it but I’ll have a look and see what houses it says I am for definite, as a huge number of mine are cusping, (including my asc/desc/MC/IC.
Ah I didn’t realise outer houses are used in some cases and not others...definitely confusing! 😅
March 28, 2022 at 13:46
(Taurus) Astro-Seek.com
System message: Post has been written by user Seanfhear, who already deleted profile on this website:
=====
I recommend using the Whole Sign system to eliminate this problem of unequal and "out of proportion" houses. Not to say Placidus doesn´t work; Some people using this system did readings for me and they got decent results. Yet, it is confusing for people like me, and probably for you as well.

As for the other techniques. Well, for progressions, I´m not sure if the outer houses (or progressed houses) are considered. I read some texts about Secondary Progressions and Solar Arc and the main discussion always revolved around planets and their location in relation to the signs and the natal houses (and of course aspects they make to natal planets, this is another story for now); Thus, I´m not sure if outer houses are considered in such techniques. Seems they are not to me.
However, the outer houses are considered along with the natal in the solar return chart to get a general idea about something. For example, the sun might be in natal 4H and in returning it was in 6H (or SR 6H for Sun Return chart 6th house): The sun is the focus of the year and chart, and being in 4H means the focus for the coming year is events or things related to the house or home environment or mother. 6H is related to servitude, disease, enemies and even legal issues. We try here then to connect the two sets. Of course, more flavor is added checking the sign and the lord of the sign.

I´m not an expert but this is how it goes as I read in some texts.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Capricorn Capricorn
Show calendar »