Why is Placidus so popular?

October 13, 2021 at 11:32 (UT/GMT)
(Aquarius) Tightrope-dancer
Why is Placidus so popular?
https://theastrologypodcast.com/202…

“It has become a cliche in the 20th century that the Placidus system later became the 19th and 20th century standard because it was the only one for which affordable tables were readily available. This is partially true, but the same thing could be said for the initial success of the Regiomantanus system.” Holden, A History of Horoscopic Astrology, p. 150.

OK, this may be a selection, but actually, it´s quite interesting stuff. Seems like Placidus was also easy to make tables of, had some good advocates and was based on an interpretation of Ptolemaeus. Now it´s almost standard stuff so most people start with it and continue to use it, a bit like Windows VS Linux :37:

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
October 13, 2021 at 12:29
(Aquarius) Tightrope-dancer » Leo Moon
In that perspective: why isn´t Whole Sign the standard? No tables at all, just drawing lines.

Honestly, I´m still in doubt about house systems. It´s one of the things many beginners like me struggle with. Some people say they don´t matter that much, other claim they are so important and advocate their system,...
October 13, 2021 at 12:18
(Aquarius) Leo Moon
That’s some interesting history.

When I began looking into astrology I didn’t know there were other systems for a long time.
This was before the internet and information wasn’t as available.

Like many standards it’s a matter of convenience and would be difficult to switch.

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2021
Moon calendar
Moon in Gemini Gemini
Show calendar »