5,7 or 8 - House of sex, by Chris Brennan

July 10, 2021 at 00:04 (UT/GMT)
(Capricorn) Emanuel
5,7 or 8 - House of sex, by Chris Brennan
https://theastrologypodcast.com/tra…

"Episode 157 is a solo show where I discuss the tricky question of which of the twelve houses rules sex in western astrology.

This is a problematic question because it turns out that over the past 2000 years western astrologers have assigned sex to three different houses during different eras.

In the Greco-Roman astrological tradition sex was evidently originally assigned to the 7th house, and then later it shifted to the 5th house at some point during the Medieval or Renaissance traditions, before eventually moving again to the 8th house in modern times.

The fact that sex hasn’t always been assigned to the 8th house is a relatively recent revelation due to the recovery and translation of older astrological texts over the past few decades, and it presents an interesting problem in terms of how to resolve the issue.

While astrologers sometimes assume that the shift in the assignment had to do with cultural changes, one of the things I point out in this discussion is that often the shift seems to have been motivated by conceptual changes in how significations were derived from all of the houses. As a result of that, this topic becomes a useful access point for understanding how astrologers developed meanings for all twelve houses in different eras."

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
July 11, 2021 at 00:06
(Virgo) rohini moon » rohini moon
I´m kind of surprised how many people don´t know that the 12th house is another house of sex.

It´s a house of bed pleasures, and escapism. You get pleasure from doing other things than sleeping in bed, and that´s also a form of escapism. Lord of the 7th gets placed in the 12th, the person may have hidden sex affairs.

This is the 12th house on a mundane, earthly level.
July 10, 2021 at 21:47
(Aquarius) Catch-22 » AmberMoon
I can agree with that one.

I just never thought of house 12 as sex oriented.
July 10, 2021 at 10:36
(Gemini) AmberMoon
Makes sense. Sex as a composition. Fun (5), depth (8), commitment (7) and isolation (12).
Never seen it as just 8.
July 10, 2021 at 07:55
(Virgo) astreo
I have the ruler of my fifth in the eighth, in Leo. :4:

I feel like sex is one of my favorite hobbies ....
July 10, 2021 at 06:12
(Taurus) Rosincvist » astreo
We recently had 2,160 years of Regulus/Raphael in :175: that is over! :175: is less important now! So also is the fifth of House and quart of House!
July 10, 2021 at 04:55
(Capricorn) Emanuel » LotusStar
There is no short answer.
July 10, 2021 at 04:53
(Capricorn) Emanuel » astreo
Not necessarily one in particular. I tend to agree that your sexual nature is represented by Venus and Mars, and the house where Venus and Mars are in are somehow relevant ( also the house occupied by Scorpio).

Read/or listen the podcast above.
July 10, 2021 at 04:04
(Capricorn) Jaided
Meh, all 3 of those represent sex in different ways. 8th house sex is deep and meaningful, powerful. 5th is fun, carefree, romance without all of other deeper attachments. And 7th involves marriage and relationships soooo that´s sex too but it´s more the entire partnership as whole. That´s the way I see it anyways. Lol, coming from someone with a 5th stellium and 8th house moon. Surprisingly no 7th.
July 10, 2021 at 01:59
(Virgo) astreo
Which one would you put as the main one?
July 10, 2021 at 01:57
(Virgo) rohini moon
12th house is the house of "bed pleasure"

Double meaning.
July 10, 2021 at 01:55
(Virgo) LotusStar
And some also include 12 house I think?!

So what´s the TL;DR version of the answer? :61:
July 10, 2021 at 01:38
(Pisces) fishscales
If it was up to me, sex would probably rule about 6 houses, not just 3...

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2022
Moon calendar
Moon in Cancer Cancer
Show calendar »