Apllying and separating aspects in the natal chart

February 17, 2021 at 14:13 (UT/GMT)
(Gemini) Waszka (dragonfly)
Apllying and separating aspects in the natal chart
Hi everyone,

First of all, I would like to say that I´m very glad I came across this forum. Astrology has appeared quite recently in my life and I really appreciate you are taking your time to share your knowledge.

I´m wondering what kind of impact have separating and apllying aspects on our life. I have noticed that this distinction is not taken into account in the chart interpretations. I´m curious why is that. We all know stories about kids, who didn´t seem very promissing and then later in life they spread their wings surprisings others. How is this hapennig? Could we explain this with a lot of an applying harmonious aspects in the natal chart, which gained strenght over the time?

Sometimes it is other way around. There are adults, who seemed to be very promissing kids but somehow didn´t achieve much in life. Now they have to live with the awareness of an unfulfilled hopes and dreams. Family and old friends keep asking, how could this have happened? Were they born with a lot of harmonious separating aspects, which have lost their power over the time?

In my own natal chart there are some difficult applying aspects such as:

Moon Opposit Uranus (7°09’, Applying)
MC Square Pluto (4°55’, Applying)
Node Conjunction Saturn (3°38’, Applying)
Node Square Venus (1°34’, Applying)

Of course, there are also transits and much more elements, which matter here. However, I have a feeling that understanding how separating and applying aspects really work, could help me to understand why some things have changed in my life and what can I expect in the future.

Thank you in advance for your comments :1:

Posts in topic

Sort posts:
February 22, 2021 at 17:09
(Capricorn) Heylel Ben-Shachar » leorising
Yes, I also leaned about Solar-progression(or however it´s called) ― after trying to understand my Venus in Retrograde; and only one Astrologer in YouTube - mentioned to look at Venus´ movement through my life day-per-year. Indeed there was much improvement from when it stopped, then continued Direct; and it still hasn´t reached the original degree ― which should be great improvement. And my Mercury went into Retrograde later, and will come back to original degree - one year before Venus. So Waszka ― definitely look into that; and you don´t need to be an expert; just go day by day ― and write somewhere - important events: Aspects, Sun going over a House or Sign, Retrograde to Direct & vice-versa etc.

Also an important note about day-per-year ― I found that you need to take the extra 5.2422... days - beyond the 360 degrees, into account. So it´s not day per year - it´s day per 360 days. Unfortunately - the most precise thing I found ― is when people die. :-\ So I noticed - that it happens a degree before the specific Conjunction(which I won´t mention ― cause some people won´t want to know that). So after ~68 years ― you need to add a day\year; actually you can start from half that time \ ~34 years ― because more than half a year is missing.
February 22, 2021 at 12:21
(Gemini) Waszka (dragonfly)
Thank you again for all your comments. Until now I didn´t pay much attention to my progressions chart.
I´m not that advanced in the subject. Now, when I look at my secondary progressions, I can see that I have a stellium in Leo in my 9th house. This already gives me a lot to think about. I will need some time to figure out how this really works. I guess a stellium in 9th should be helpful in going deeper into the topic :1:
February 21, 2021 at 13:29
(Libra) leorising » Heylel Ben-Shachar
All right, I responded as stated in the topic of discussion.
In the topic the person raises the situation that promising children may not be successful, and why some situations change in that person´s life.
So I wanted to help with the link with the explanation of the separative aspects, and when I answered your topic I wanted to leave the tip for the person who created the topic to investigate what is a progression chart.
But I really liked your answer about the speed of the planets that can be seen in the progressed chart.
that is in fact I didn’t want to explicitly say that the progressed chart corresponds to the native’s first 100 days (if someone is going to live to be 100 years old) so by looking at the transit after birth it is possible to understand this dynamic of the separative or application aspects and other possible movements of the planets.
for example in my case, if I had the information about this I would have expected in peace for my 34th birthday, because it is the day that my venus started to move in direct (34 days after I was born) and it changed a lot for me.
in classical astrology it also explains the change of life of the native from the quadrants of the birth chart.
:108:
February 20, 2021 at 23:04
First - I accidentally replied to your post, instead of the topic (I´m new to the website).
Secondly - I don´t think I can understand your last post, in the way you express yourself; I don´t understand your point. Maybe it´s because you thought I was trying to tell you something.
February 20, 2021 at 11:06
(Libra) leorising » Heylel Ben-Shachar
that´s it I put this link from astro.com to serve as a clue for the person with doubt to go after the explanation of the progressed chart, I didn´t want to dwell on the explanation. because the person must analyze the period of life that the progressed chart represents and check the progress of the transits in his life ... it was just a tip :44:
if you look into classical astrology there are also other explanations about this movement of life, everything is on the chart, but what will happen at each moment depends.
life is not static :68:
February 20, 2021 at 08:13
My theory is that Applying|Separating ― doesn´t have a meaning in the chart itself; rather these are indicators - in the Solar-Progression chart. If this is true ― than you should judge it by the Body´s speed. For instance - you shouldn´t pay much attention to Moon ― because it returns 3 times during a lifetime. And very slow moving Bodies, even if separating ― won´t move even 1 degree, during your life.

P.S. - I also don´t believe anymore in the bad Aspects; rather it´s the same as the House-system. For instance - a square aspect is like the IC\MC, for the Bodies - relatively to eachother.
February 20, 2021 at 02:56
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13 » Waszka (dragonfly)
Since progressions bring the applying aspect to completion, they shall always be more "special" than separating aspects. Grant Lewi pointed out a-lot of statesmen and politicians have transitting :199: upper- :194: natal :199: at the peak of their careers! Keeping ALL square aspects typed becomes necessary since they are inter-modal for the most part!
February 19, 2021 at 16:58
(Gemini) Waszka (dragonfly) » Moon_Queen
Maybe you need more Neptun energy? :3:

Writing a good novel takes time. So, take your time.
February 19, 2021 at 16:15
(Gemini) Waszka (dragonfly) » leorising
Thanks and sorry for pushing you :1:
February 19, 2021 at 15:20
(Libra) leorising » Waszka (dragonfly)
https://www.astro.com/astrowiki/en/…
I have a social limit to share knowledge on the forum. but if you read this link, think about the movement of the planets I believe you will have a great tip :44:
February 19, 2021 at 14:22
(Pisces) Moon_Queen
Love the topic!

Mercury opposition Jupiter 4.59 Applying - trying to write a book for ages I hope this aspect will start to work soon :6:

I already have a name and 20 pages but nothing more, it is religion-inspired novel :84:
February 19, 2021 at 13:55
(Gemini) Waszka (dragonfly) » leorising
Thank you, I really appreciate it! but...some example would be very helpful :4:
February 19, 2021 at 12:52
(Libra) leorising
By classical astrology, the chart is ruled by certain planets at certain times in the individual´s life.
then moon from birth to 4 years, then mercury, venus ... and follow the list of planets.
then the aphesis, firdaria, solar return, annual prophecy can be verified.
the chart already shows what the individual will live, the times can be verified from the predictive reports.
and as for the separative aspects and applications, the ideal chart to check their effect on time is the solar progression chart.

I believe that every moment is important for us to be who we are, there is no perfect life for anyone :108:
February 19, 2021 at 12:30
(Gemini) Waszka (dragonfly) » IIyyaarr13
I understand that applying aspects are stronger than separating. These have a significant impact on on our lives. But I would like to know, when exactly that applying aspect becomes powerful? Can we calculate it somehow?
February 18, 2021 at 18:26
(Gemini) Waszka (dragonfly) » Emanuel
If someone with a strong eight house says that life with hard aspects is more interesting, there must be something to it :1:
February 18, 2021 at 17:47
(Taurus) IIyyaarr13
I have double-applying dexter third-house :159: :193: :182: :164: about seven arc-minutes to exact, it is why I am always asking what relates to imagination and the paranormal. According to the Magi Astrologers when one planet in an aspect is retrograde and the other is direct it becomes a more powerful aspect!
February 17, 2021 at 18:46
(Capricorn) Emanuel » Waszka (dragonfly)
Actually hard aspects make our life interesting and push us to resolve our problems . Just that it takes time to come on terms with that intense energy that a square or opposition brings in our life (opposition many times it s balanced when we interect with other people ,as squares are more internalized as a energy) .
February 17, 2021 at 18:21
(Gemini) Waszka (dragonfly) » Emanuel
Yes, I know.

I´m just trying to figure out how can I deal with hard aspects, which complicate my life. But aside from various troubles, I have experienced a lot of positive things in my life. I´m consistently moving forward. Even Saturn in 11th house can´t stop me :4: I experience crises from which I always get up.
February 17, 2021 at 17:14
(Gemini) Waszka (dragonfly) » Jay Jay
Thank you Jay Jay!

"We are NOT completely at the mercy of our chart influences. A lot depends upon us - our responses - our reactions. However, some of us have more pain to work through than other people, and some of us have more challenges in the chart due to the chart itself. But even so, the way we respond and how conscious we are makes a big difference."

I like this. On the emotional level I have fought many fights in my life. But something like fear of destiny is a totally new experience to me.
February 17, 2021 at 16:52
(Capricorn) Emanuel
One thing I want to mention : astrology it´s complex,but not that complex that some minor details dictate some events in our life. Also keep in mind that Astrology it´s not fortune telling and some of the most vicious criminal have very positive aspects in their charts.
February 17, 2021 at 16:28
(Gemini) Waszka (dragonfly) » wildfl❀wer
Thank you for sharing your experience. I think, I´ll have to take a closer look at my separating aspects. Before I turned 25 my life was full of intense events. Like you I changed my place of living many times.
February 17, 2021 at 16:00
(Aries) Jay Jay
Thank you for the interesting question. Maybe we don´t pay enough attention to the fact that some aspects are applying or separating - but, we do in the sense that if the aspect is "tight" or close to the degree - it is strongest - and that is still true for separating as well as applying.

Applying aspects do give more pressure but a tight separating aspect is still a strong aspect - and so, I think the further it is past the degree, it is less in effect. Astrology software program default settings actually give less of an orb for separating aspects than they do applying ones for this reason.

Personally, I don´t think the applying and separating aspect is responsible for someone doing well or not doing well at various times of life. I think people on the internet give way too much power to aspects in general. I´m not sure why - but some people interpret their charts wholly by aspects when the heart of astrology is interpreting planets in signs and houses - first and foremost. Aspects are an addition to this. I´m not saying they are unimportant because I most certainly read them, and sometimes they are a very important part of a reading - but you can´t read them accurately without first knowing the meaning of the planet in sign and house and how it is functioning within the whole.

That said, Saturn - the Lord of Time - can influence a person´s maturity and when they finally bloom. There are so many possible combinations of influences that can make it difficult for someone to succeed or not succeed - either early or later in life - and some of it depends on the person themselves - how conscious they are - how aware they are of their own dynamics and how motivated they are to change.

We are NOT completely at the mercy of our chart influences. A lot depends upon us - our responses - our reactions. However, some of us have more pain to work through than other people, and some of us have more challenges in the chart due to the chart itself. But even so, the way we respond and how conscious we are makes a big difference.

The applying aspects and the squares and oppositions are actually better for growing and changing than sextiles and trines - but again, it depends on the whole chart and how we respond to it that matters.

It can also depend upon whether the Soul is beginning a new theme cycle or if the person has been working on the same issue for some lifetimes already.

FYI - I don´t consider the MC to be applying or separating - it isn´t a planet. A planet can apply to it, but the MC is not moving.

My website: http://thesoulmustsing.weebly.com - I do western astrology readings, dream interpretation, and mind-body healing by a donation of your choice - and classes at reasonable rates. Sign up for my newsletter!
February 17, 2021 at 15:36
(Cancer) wildfl❀wer
Hi, I will be quite literal
separating aspects (relaxed ones, less and less feeling them), applying aspects let you prepare for what is coming, it is like you can feel how things are about to unfold
separating aspects happen before 25 years
so I am 24 soon will be 25, I had recently 12 house profection year that changed a lot

Events based on asc aspects:

Trine Uranus (2°07’, Separating) - came back home from abroad, I am feeling like a foreigner, a bit acculturated. With time, I am sure I will be more accepted, there is progress. I see friends believing in astrology, learning languages, traveling more.

Opposition Saturn (2°16’, Applying) - have been alone for 3-4 years, now I am really demanding about whom I am letting in. Saturn, Pluto transiting 4/7 house rebuilt me. I had to move and change places many times. *edited: also I currently have 7 house ruler square Saturn in secondary progressions

so the timing seems to be properly identified

this is especially interesting to see in synastry, I find, e.g. for couples who would want to reunite

Current Planets, Astrology Transits, Chart of this moment
Current planets
Planetary positions
Show chart »
Lunar calendar 2021
Moon calendar
Moon in Libra Libra
Show calendar »